Juiced CrossCruurent or... (Haibike)

OJS

Hey all - happy to have found this great community & all its resources! I'm looking to buy my first ebike for my 13-mile (mostly flat) commute to work 2x/week. Pedelec / 28mph is important as I'm looking to cut down the commute time. I've read a lot abt rear hub, geared rear hub vs mid-drive & each seems to have its pros/ cons.

The bikes I am looking at are the Juiced crosscurrent- found a used one with only 50miles on it for $1k. The 2016 Haibike SDURO Cross SL (which dealer told me could add on a bypass to increase sped to 28). These are on sale for ~$2k. And the 2016 Izip E3 dash.

I'm leaning towards the Juiced (even though I think the Haibike is a better bike), as the cost is so much less & it's my first ebike. I figure I could ride it for a year or so & then know more about what I want. By then technology will keep improving & prices drop...

Any thoughts, pointers, or recommendations for a newbie? (I saw one other thread comparing the juiced & izip saying the former was a smoother ride, but can no longer find that thread)... many thx!

Court's video says it cruises more like around 20-24 and is tough to get up to 28mph...
Any recommendations for an affordable speed pedelec under $2.5k

All three bikes you are considering are good bikes, with the Juiced CrossCurrent and the Izip Dash being better adapted for commuting while the Haibike SDURO Cross SL is better for mountain biking (not that it cannot double as a commuter as well).

I would go with the CrossCurrent if only because its low price will allow room in your budget to upgrade to a torque+cadence sensor, a sport display, a throttle, and a bigger battery. The torque+cadence sensor may help getting to 28mph. (Court tested a bike that only had a torque sensor.) You may also want to change the front chainring to make pedaling effective when you're going 28mph, i.e. you're spinning as fast as you can but you're not really assisting. A bike shop can help you with that, but I would wait until you've ridden the bike a few weeks and you're familiar with it.

Also, budget for accessories such as a suspension seatpost, lights, and a rear rack (check the used CrossCurrent frame to see if it is one that has bosses for a rack; my understanding is that the early ones did not whereas all the current ones do). I see that Juiced just announced a fully-loaded CrossCurrent S for $1699 for delivery in August 2017.

Thx so much @Bicyclista - super helpful input. Sounds like the upgrades you mention (Torque+cadence sensor, a sport display, a throttle, and a bigger battery) might be made directly to the used unit avail on CL thru a local shop; or I could wait for the CrossCurrent S and consider that...

Just checked out the S-model... Looks sweet!

It seems the "S" model has a bigger motor and a bigger standard battery... it even has mudguards! The only thing missing is a suspension seatpost.

Right on. It does look good - I'd want to find a local dealer to test ride one first. I was also comparing to the Magnum Mi5 https://electricbikereview.com/magnum/mi5/ which is the same price, though it tops at 22mph. Courts review points out some important drawbacks of the Mi5, including the wonky use of throttle, no lockout on fork, etc. The 350W motor & 36v 13a battery will go a much larger distance (max 55 miles on charge), but I won't get the speed I'm wanting. By contrast, it seems like the 650w motor on the Juiced CC-S will pack a lot more punch, but the w/48v 12.8a battery will burn up a lot faster limiting the range... The Mi5 also has a small delay in pedal assist due to only having a cadence sensor... Also, no integrated lights or fenders... If the new Juiced CC-S rides well it does seem like a better fit for what I'm wanting... Just wish it were coming out sooner!

Very open to any other thoughts, comments or ideas you or anyone else might have on a decent Class 3 Pedelec under $2k!

Hi OJS, I have the Juiced Cross Current. I'm happy with it. I'm 150 lbs and commute 6.5 miles on paved streets. The cadence sensor is AWESOME, esp for the price. I would be intrigued to ride the torque+cadence sensor that was mentioned above. specifically to see if that combo would help "maintain" a 28 mph avg. don't get me wrong - - the CC WILL get you up to 28 mph, but I have found it difficult to maintain that speed. I do believe that my average 'fast cruising speed' is about 26ish. However, I would also note that 26ish is very easy to maintain, and is plenty fast for the frequent stop signs and traffic lights. there are only two sections of my trip that offer more than a quarter mile without stops. to me - my opinion - 25 mph is totally fine for my ride as I am frequently required to stop.

have fun!!

Hey @ebikes rock - thanks so much for weighing in! Glad to hear you are happy with the ride. I'm def going to check it out. If the bike fits my frame and feels good to ride, I'll have to decide whether to buy the used CC for about $1k, or wait until August and get the newer S-model, which has some more bells & whistles.

Right on. It does look good - I'd want to find a local dealer to test ride one first. I was also comparing to the Magnum Mi5 https://electricbikereview.com/magnum/mi5/ which is the same price, though it tops at 22mph. Courts review points out some important drawbacks of the Mi5, including the wonky use of throttle, no lockout on fork, etc. The 350W motor & 36v 13a battery will go a much larger distance (max 55 miles on charge), but I won't get the speed I'm wanting. By contrast, it seems like the 650w motor on the Juiced CC-S will pack a lot more punch, but the w/48v 12.8a battery will burn up a lot faster limiting the range... The Mi5 also has a small delay in pedal assist due to only having a cadence sensor... Also, no integrated lights or fenders... If the new Juiced CC-S rides well it does seem like a better fit for what I'm wanting... Just wish it were coming out sooner!

Very open to any other thoughts, comments or ideas you or anyone else might have on a decent Class 3 Pedelec under $2k!

I was going through a similar dilemma a couple of months back and my decision was really made for me when I went into my local Bicycle Village and they had the 2016 Izip E3 Dash on sale and with everything in I got it for just over $1500. What I liked about this bike was that it had everything I wanted for commuting, rack, fenders, lights, hydraulic disc brakes, mid-drive, nice livery... the only drawback was the battery as I have an 18 mile commute each way. Having done nearly 600 miles in the first month here are my thoughts on the bike. It is a nice well balanced bike that is stable at speed (I have a hill and often reach 35mph+ down it) and will cruise at 24mph easily (having got a Class 3 bike, I cannot imagine riding a Class 2 as I rarely go below 20mph on the flat). For your commute you can easily run it at speed setting 3 (out of 4) in both directions and you will still have battery to spare, this will allow you to cruise at 20mph+ easily. I carry my charger with me as I have about 20% left on my battery when I get to work.

It is a reasonably comfortable bike, but get a suspension seat post ! There is no give in the tires and you will notice EVERY bump in the road without it. I have also added Panniers (I got these https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Spor...id=1499361926&sr=8-2&keywords=pannier+seattle) and a bell as you do come up on other riders quite quickly. The riding style is quite upright and forward and after about 10 miles or so I have to sit up and shake my hands out because of pins and needles (I think I have to look at the configuration and change some things).

The other major considerations for me, were the Warranty and customer service. on the Izip the warranty is 1 year on the battery, 2 years on the motor and lifetime on the frame. On the Customer Service, reading various forums / posts, the customer service is meant to be excellent (backed by Raleigh) and this gives me some peace of mind.

My biggest frustration with this bike is that when I start my commute I put it in setting 1 or 2 and get up to 20mph+ and can sustain that quite easily until I get to some hills. I then put it up to setting 3 and I get the boost I need, but when I come to the flats again I want to drop it into 2 again, but it often feels like I fight against the motor (I actually sent my first bike back as it was so annoying) and I don't feel the same boost from that setting as when I first started my ride. This is frustrating because of the length of my commute I do have to conserve my battery and I know in time the battery pack will degrade and I will be pushing the limits of its capacity. I will talk to their technical group to see if this is 'just the way it works' or whether I am doing something wrong.

Overall, I am loving my commute because of the bike. My drive time is normally about 35 minutes in the car, but just over 45 minutes on the bike, largely on dedicated bike trails, so until the snow comes, the car will stay at home !

I hope this helps give you a view on the Izip. I was very close to getting a CrossCurrent because of the company and bike reviews which were all really positive. Good luck on your decision and ultimately joining the Ebike community !

Hey @Colorado Colin - thanks so much for your input & comments. Sounds like a great bike! The Juiced bikes seem sweet, but a lot of the dealers I spoke to discouraged me from getting one because of: a) the lower quality of components and b) poor experiences with getting replacement parts from the manufacturer. One guy basically cautioned me against getting it saying that if I am planning to use it for commuting (which I am) that he'd be very concerned about the reliability...

In the end, I stretched my budget quite a bit and ended up getting a Raleigh Redux on sale. The dealer threw in a rack & lights (USB), and i'm super happy with the bike so far... See my comments at the end of Court's Redux Review.

Best wishes!

My biggest frustration with this bike is that when I start my commute I put it in setting 1 or 2 and get up to 20mph+ and can sustain that quite easily until I get to some hills. I then put it up to setting 3 and I get the boost I need, but when I come to the flats again I want to drop it into 2 again, but it often feels like I fight against the motor (I actually sent my first bike back as it was so annoying) and I don't feel the same boost from that setting as when I first started my ride.
That is the nature of the ebike battery (or any batteries) and it is true to almost all ebikes except maybe to some that has layers of computer programming to compensate for the voltage drop as the battery is used. The rated 48 volt battery is actually 54 volts when fully charged and 42 volts when fully discharged. So it feels more powerful in the first part of your trip.

Back