Juiced CCX Will Not Charge

SirJonathan

Good Day All - Have had a CCX that I ordered new from Juiced back in December of 2018. Looks like it's around 3.5 years old now.

It's been a great bike but due to Covid it does not have a lot of miles in the past couple of years. Less than 100 in two years for sure. It's been sitting in a garage for quite some time with the battery at around 50%. My kid has used it that whole time but only a couple times a week and to travel a couple of blocks at most.

The battery is sitting at 48v right now (so maybe 30%). The issue is that the battery will not charge. When I plug the charger in it shows as green. Original battery. Original charger. Worked like a champ previously. I let it charge all night and nothing. I took the battery off the bike and charged for a couple hours. Nothing. Let it charge off the bike for 8 hours. Nothing. LED on charger is always green. Battery shows no improvement.

I don't know if this thing has reached the end of its useful life. It is almost four years old but probably has less wear and tear on it than a battery that is 6 months old. Please let me know if there is any kind of a workaround. I thought I'd try this forum first prior to calling Juiced because during the early days of having the bike you guys were great about issues and resolution.

Thank you for any advice.

SirJonathan, havnt seen you around these parts for awhile.

Hard to say what the issue is without speculation but the cheapest thing to do would be to try another charger. This would be assuming you dont have any real electrical/electronics skills.

Im not a battery expert but 48V seems very low for long term storage, Others can chime in.

I bought a CCX around the same timeframe and it has been sitting with the battery at 54V (3.85V per cell) for two years and has never needed any more charge. Just recently sold it to a neighbor and it works fine (probably 5k miles on the bike)

Thank you for the reply. I do recall you!

I did a little more Internet research. From the Juiced Troubleshooting Guide it looks like when the charger is plugged in without the battery it should still have a green LED. There is no LED lit up at all when the charger is plugged in without connection to the battery. Could be an issue there.

Regarding the battery itself, it has been slowly losing charge as my kid takes it down the block a couple times a week. It's now down to 48.3V. I took the battery off and using a multimeter measured the voltage at the discharge and it was 857mV. I read that if the overall pack charge gets too low the BMS will not kick in and charge it. Only solution would be to send it to Juiced and have them rebalance the pack.

Im not a battery expert but 48V seems very low for long term storage, Others can chime in.
I believe Juiced's website for the 52V CCX battery stated that 45V is 20% charge and 55V is 80% charge. It was around 50V for a very long time and since my kid has been using it over the past 6 months its gone steadily down which makes sense.

Might seem silly, but first unplug everything. then only plug the charger into the wall, is the light green? If not lit check that cable is firmly seated the charger, they come out easily just enough to not power the charge. If charger is green when just plugged into the wall, then plug it into the bike and see if it turns red.

Many people plug the charger first into the bike as this is often recommended, but with Juiced battery and charger design, this will cause the light on the charger to go green, so when then plug it into the wall and it does not go red, they thing the charger or batter is bad, when really it's just a loose cord.

If the above doe snot work, you may want to ensure you are using the correct 52V (58.8V output) charger. If you don't have a space charger to try then ordering cheap one will tell you if the charger is bad, if you don't have a volt meter to measure the voltage out of your charger.

I think more than 50%v of the time it's a loose cord, the rest it's a bad charger.

48V is not too low! 3.3V to 4.05V per cell is a good range.
3.3x13=42.9v. I use 43v LVC 42V is most often used.
4.06x13=52.68v. I use 52v Max charge for best practise.

00PS IF A 52V USE 14X. 56V HIGH. 46V LVC

YMMV

Quick update:

Looks like a bad charger. Plugging the charger into the wall without connection yields no LEDs whatsoever. Reading the output voltage on pins 1&2 when plugged into the wall yields 0V. There is nothing coming out of this charger. Oddly enough, when I started troubleshooting this a week ago the charger would at least have a green LED when plugged into the wall and not the battery. Now it's nothing.

I just ordered another charger from Juiced. Nothing like paying $6 in tax and $12 in shipping to have something delivered from two hours away. With the price of gas however it's still cheaper LOL!

So $100 for the new charger. I'll report back here as I expect it to work. The bike and battery seem perfectly fine. I'm a little bummed at a charger that was stored indoors for the past three years and probably has been used 20 times has failed. Electronics are electronics, however, and it's par for the course.

I appreciate the advice in this thread.

Here's an update: I just received the charger. Juiced really has issues with their packaging. This charger was in a box that was smashed and open on both ends. No invoice in the USPS package, nothing in there other than the smashed box and the charger.

And of course they sent the wrong charger. Instead of a 3-pin connector there's some kind of single pin yellow-ended pin. Maybe it's the 48V. Who knows? Doesn't matter. I just sent them an email and told them I need to send this one back and receive the one I ordered.

Mistakes happen but I'm not pleased that my initial charger died after very few uses, my CCX was shipped with the wrong controller which required ME to take it apart, install the correct one and send the old one back to them, and then after a week of waiting receive the wrong charger. Juiced apparently still has issues.

Wow! that's scary. That is a big mistake, not sure what Jucied has that takes that charger, but sounds like something for one of their bikes with an extra seat battery.
I'd probably just order a charger off Amazon for next day delivery. I hope someone there can do better on the replacement.

Here's an update: I just received the charger. Juiced really has issues with their packaging. This charger was in a box that was smashed and open on both ends. No invoice in the USPS package, nothing in there other than the smashed box and the charger.

And of course they sent the wrong charger. Instead of a 3-pin connector there's some kind of single pin yellow-ended pin. Maybe it's the 48V. Who knows? Doesn't matter. I just sent them an email and told them I need to send this one back and receive the one I ordered.

Mistakes happen but I'm not pleased that my initial charger died after very few uses, my CCX was shipped with the wrong controller which required ME to take it apart, install the correct one and send the old one back to them, and then after a week of waiting receive the wrong charger. Juiced apparently still has issues.
that’s what we sign up for in factory direct eBikes. We’re our own support mechanics. I’m sorry you’re having to deal with their mistakes.

Sorry to hear about the problems your having, juiced doesnt seem to be what it used to be these days.

I recently sold my CCX to next door neighbor who is now riding it everyday. I only ever used the original charger a few times until I got a cycle satiator. His original juiced charger just appeared to have died after maybe 20 charges. Upon closer inspection a wire came unsoldered within the connector. I fixed it but I am quite handy with such things (drilled out retention pin, soldered the broken tab...total hack (the actual tab broke, not the wire), filled back side of connector with 5 minute epoxy to hopefully stabilize the soldered tab). A better solution would be to buy another connector and just splice the wires.

Ironically my Luna charger just died as well
https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger-52v-advanced-300w-ebike-charger/

Used it probably 2 years and several hundred charge cycles.

Im just using the satiator now. neighbor just bought a satiator as well

Last edited:
Im just using the satiator now. neighbor just bought a satiator as well
Added a third but flipped the 72v. My original, first release has never failed. The newest Charger for 24V-52V Nominal Batteries, 63V 8A Max Output is even nicer.

Thank you for your replies. I'm thinking about selling the CCX. It has very little mileage - around 500 miles - and is in perfect condition. I doubt it is worth much now, however.

I appreciate the advice about ordering a charger from Amazon. I think I'll go that route rather than spend $100 on this Juiced charger that will die in 20 uses. That's about what I had on the original charger so it may be quite common.

Do you have a recommendation for an Amazon charger? The one Juiced sent me was very flimsy. It occurred to me that they didn't have a box that fit it so somebody just stuffed it in a box and couldn't close the ends so they just shipped it that way! Threw that into a USPS bag and called it a day.

Thanks again for the replies!

Edit: That Luna charger you linked looks very nice! How do you get it to work with the Juiced 3-pin connector? I do have the original charger with the 3-pin connector and moderate skills with soldering so probably wouldn't be too difficult to create.

Last edited:
that’s what we sign up for in factory direct eBikes. We’re our own support mechanics. I’m sorry you’re having to deal with their mistakes.

I agree with you. I'm surprised that after four years they still can't ship a simple charger to an address two hours away by car. I bought this bike four years ago and expected growing pains by the company - and definitely received them. Kind of sad to see they still appear to be a seat-of-the-pants company four years later.

Thank you for your replies. I'm thinking about selling the CCX. It has very little mileage - around 500 miles - and is in perfect condition. I doubt it is worth much now, however.

I appreciate the advice about ordering a charger from Amazon. I think I'll go that route rather than spend $100 on this Juiced charger that will die in 20 uses. That's about what I had on the original charger so it may be quite common.

Do you have a recommendation for an Amazon charger? The one Juiced sent me was very flimsy. It occurred to me that they didn't have a box that fit it so somebody just stuffed it in a box and couldn't close the ends so they just shipped it that way! Threw that into a USPS bag and called it a day.

Edit: That Luna charger you linked looks very nice! How do you get it to work with the Juiced 3-pin connector? I do have the original charger with the 3-pin connector and moderate skills with soldering so probably wouldn't be too difficult to create.
I sold my CCX with about 5k miles for $1000.

The luna charger comes with a XT60 male connector so you would need a xt60 female to XLR male adapter (most available seem to be the opposite on both ends). I never charged the CCX with the luna charger, I used my satiator instead. I really liked the luna charger, it had dials for charge rates and %charge, had easily readable voltage/amp display and a fan that ran when charging so I could hear when the bike was charging from a distance. They are known to fail and the first one I ever got never worked so luna replaced it for free.

I purchased this charger recently from Amazon to leave at a friends house, as it is a faster charger which i need there, but not so expensive as a satiator.

Unfortunately I could not find a cheaper one on Amazon right now, and this one takes about 5 days for delivery. You might want to check eBay for a cheaper one just to confirm that the charger is the only issue before spending $65 on a big one. The small chargers are nice as they don't have fans, but they can get hot try to use them in a cool place or at least give them good airflow put them on their sides for better heat radiation the bottom gets very hot but you need to see the light on the top.

I've not used the one above enough to say if it will be reliable, the output voltage of the charger is accurate though. I've not had any issues with the 8 different chargers I use for my two bikes and segway and EUC, so I'm pretty lucky so far.

Juiced also sells a 4A charger, but it's like $30 on AliExpress and their price I think is like $150, so I could not pay their markup.

Back