Juddering front brake

nashdm2

2020 SD Rohloff.

I have the Magura MT5 at the front. When I pull the front brake it feels like it is juddering. If I clean the disc with brake cleaner and lightly sand the pads, the problem goes away for about a mile then slowly comes back again.

I replaced the front disc and pads thinking that will sort it, but, its exactly the same which is really strange.

The MT4 rear brake is as smooth as silk and works really well, better than the front in pure power terms which is why I think there is an issue as the front should be better than the back. Both front and back are 180's.

Any assistance will be appreciated guys. Thanks, Dave

When you replaced the front pads was there a little lip that was not worn at the top of one of the old pads? Try laying a file flat against one side of the rotor and turn the wheel with the other hand. Feel and listen. Any burrs? Try the other side. And make sure fork bolts are tight, making sure that the pads are straight, fore and aft. There could be just a small amount twist, causing toe in or out.

Thanks very much for the replies guys, appreciated.

I forgot to add that the bike has only got 150 miles on so far from new.

In my simple mind, it has to be something other than pads and rotors, purely because I have swapped both out and the fault is still then. But, then I have the fact that when i clean the rotor and the pads, the problem goes away for about a mile lol. Also, I just can't help feeling that when I do need to use the front brake it does not feel as powerful as the rear.

Mixed messages I know, but, its all very strange. On the MT5 calliper, you can have two different pads. There is the pad that goes in from underneath the calliper (wheel off), then a top loading set of pads. Don't understand that either?

Co
Thanks very much for the replies guys, appreciated.

I forgot to add that the bike has only got 150 miles on so far from new.

In my simple mind, it has to be something other than pads and rotors, purely because I have swapped both out and the fault is still then. But, then I have the fact that when i clean the rotor and the pads, the problem goes away for about a mile lol. Also, I just can't help feeling that when I do need to use the front brake it does not feel as powerful as the rear.

Mixed messages I know, but, its all very strange. On the MT5 calliper, you can have two different pads. There is the pad that goes in from underneath the calliper (wheel off), then a top loading set of pads. Don't understand that either?
Without seeing the bike, this sounds a lot like symptoms of improperly bedded pads and rotor. Did you swap both the pads and rotors together or one then the other?

As for the difference between the 9 and 8 series pads for the MT5; the main difference is the 8 series have individual backings for each pad whereas the 9 series pads share a backing. 8 series pads are considered a higher performance option.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks for your comments.

I did do the rotor and pads change at exactly the same time. I just cannot understand the difference between the front and the back brakes. The back is so smooth. I did wonder about the difference between the 8's and the 9's. I wrote to Magura and did not get a reply.

Is it possible that what I am experiencing is a natural feeling from a 4 pot brake? The sensation I feel is like the pads are braking on the disc, but then not on the holes in the disc. I know that sounds ridiculous, but, that's how it feels.

I do feel a llittle vibration on the front when I got 4 piston calipers. maybe its the way it is with suspension fork?

Very interesting, thanks for your comments.

I did do the rotor and pads change at exactly the same time. I just cannot understand the difference between the front and the back brakes. The back is so smooth. I did wonder about the difference between the 8's and the 9's. I wrote to Magura and did not get a reply.

Is it possible that what I am experiencing is a natural feeling from a 4 pot brake? The sensation I feel is like the pads are braking on the disc, but then not on the holes in the disc. I know that sounds ridiculous, but, that's how it feels.
After you installed the new pads and rotor, did you go through any sort of bedding proceedure or did you just start riding?

If everything is setup properly, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in the feel of a 4-piston caliper vs a 2-piston outside of greater stopping power - both should feel smooth and quiet.

Last edited:
it was set up by a high end shop. its mroe of a feeling. most likely its just that rotor.
Will all due respect to your mechanics, I work at a high end shop building and repairing R&Ms - you shouldn't be feeling any vibrations from the rotor if things are set up properly.

Last edited:
I seem to have the same issue on my rear brakes, shudder when pressed hard. When I look down the caliper it looks like only one side of the brake pad is pressing against the rotor and not an even "clamp" from both sides. I have centered the brake a few times (pressing brake lever, then tightening the caliper position on the rotor) but it doesn't quite help. Check that you can see a clear gap between the pads and the rotor on both sides and that the rotor doesn't move/bend at all when you press the brake lever. When I have a moment I need to stop by my LBS to diagnose/fix this.

Thanks for all the replies. I will have its first service back at the dealer in a couple of months, I will get them to have a look. It is very strange.

Thanks for all the replies. I will have its first service back at the dealer in a couple of months, I will get them to have a look. It is very strange.
Did you resolve the issue? I have the exact problem with my mt5 estop magura's

Attachments

• 38a.jpg
    38a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 235
Did you resolve the issue? I have the exact problem with my mt5 estop magura's
No, I have just got used to it really. Still not had the first service yet, so, will update if anything happens. As time goes on, I think it may be just how a 4 pot brake feels. It is annoying though as the rear brake feels so silky smooth.

As time goes on, I think it may be just how a 4 pot brake feels. It is annoying though as the rear brake feels so silky smooth.
As has been said in this very thread - if they're set up and bedded properly, MT5s are just as smooth and quiet as MT2s.

Same problem with my MT5s. They are just prone to juddering. Try the blue comfort pads if it bugs you. Less bite than the performance pads but quieter and less prone to judder IME.

Did you reset the brake mounts? I.e. after new pads, consider loosening the brake mounts and realigning them in the center. Also Drywall sanding "paper" is best for resetting the pad. Ordinary sand paper does not work well because it grinds material into the pad versus removes the outer layer.

You have a bur or burs on the rotor. Use a flat file, spinning the disc at a good speed. Do both sides. This will clean it up.

Back