Joining the Haibike Club

Shoestring

A few weeks ago I threw down my credit card on the least expensive Haibike I could get my hands on, the Hard Seven SM. I had not previously ridden a Yamaha powered bike and really liked the Bosch powered bikes I had ridden. I liked the Yamaha concept after watching Court's review and a Wisconsin retailer had a heck of a year end clearance sale going on, so , I'm in. For a base model, there is a lot to like. The minimalist control pad is very easy to use and see even in direct sunlight. The brakes are great, the components work fine. On Court's review, the chain guide rubbed the chain in certain gears, mine did the same. Removing the guide and shaving the inner mounting surface of the guide .025" solved the issue effectively moving the guide inboard just enough to clear the chain in the lowest gears. I purchased the 55cm (xl) frame but still needed to raise the bars approximately 4" to gain that nice upright (old man) riding position, ahh, that's better. The control pad on this model does not keep track of total miles ridden, only current speed and estimated range, so I added a Planet Bike Protégé 9 wired bike computer. I've had a bunch of these over the years and they're bullet proof, they also have the temperature. The stock saddle had to go. It was a stylish vinyl over concrete board, so a nice Selle Royal comfort saddle felt much better. Ergon GP3 grips, mirror, topeak beam rack, bell, Night rider light and Crank Bros 50/50 pedals completed the package. I'm rolling down the trail for less then $2k ! I think I did real good on this one.

Just did something very similar about three weeks ago. Sduro Trekking SL Been a bit cold here in the mountains so I have not yet ridden it much yet but I plan on changing the pedals too as I have a tbi foot issue to deal with. I'm not enamoured by the saddle much either so that will be changed soon. Otherwise very happy.

Me too guys! Got a Xduro FullSeven S RX for a pretty good deal. Just got it assembled and took a 1 mile ride yesterday and it was a blast. Previously I had a RadRover and this feels like a huge upgrade. I am about to leave on a 10 mile trip in an hour. :)

Me, too! Sduro Trekking SL,. I've had it a month or so, and swapped in a ti-rail Brooks B17 saddle, VP platform pedals, and a Carradice saddlebag. I'm completely hooked; I have a few other bikes, including front-hub-drives and non-assist, and they're all for sale. The only bike I ever want to ride is the Sduro, and I'm actually pedaling harder than I used to because it reacts so well to torque. I'm getting a better workout!

Shoestring: Toggle through that S button on your control pad and I think you'll find an odometer. My screen records total and trip mileage.

Edit: Next in the mail is a Bikespeed-RS dongle to uncork the speed limit, a slightly larger chainring to accommodate it, and a narrower Ritchey riser bar. The stock 730mm bars may work for you taller folks, but I'm practically riding on the brake lever clamps instead of the grips. Too wide! Oh, those are new, too: I added Ergon grips.

Last edited:
Woo hoo!! This is awesome. I had a decent trip I think in 44F temperature with slight winds.

Trip Distance: 9.2 miles
Time: 31 minutes
Pedal Assist Mode: Eco and Sport mix - never went to turbo
Max speed: 32 mph down hill

I got the Xduro FS S RX from shopsandiegoflyrides for a pretty good price. Based on advise from Ravi (of Crazy Lennyse Bikes), I made a few changes.

My Microsoft Band 2 says average heart rate was 143 and peak was 165. I have no words to say other than I am blown away.

I did have a RadRover before this but the FS S RX is in an all together different league.

Last edited:
Mr Joe Remi, I got all excited about my speedometer and went to check my "S" button. The Sduro SM only has the small LED control panel out by the left hand grip. No center display unit with all the cool extra functions. I'm sure mileage/trip are not there. Thanks anyway for the suggestion. My buddies Sduro all Mtn does have the display with all the functions.

Sounds like we're all going to have a good biking season! I love this stuff!!

Joe Remi, I also narrowed my bars slightly. Took 1" off each end and slid everything to the center. Got it set up pretty close to perfect.

Joe Remi, I also narrowed my bars slightly. Took 1" off each end and slid everything to the center. Got it set up pretty close to perfect.
Yes, that will definitely help. I had no idea riser bars had gotten so wide in the last few years!

Me, too! Sduro Trekking SL,. I've had it a month or so, and swapped in a ti-rail Brooks B17 saddle, VP platform pedals, and a Carradice saddlebag. I'm completely hooked; I have a few other bikes, including front-hub-drives and non-assist, and they're all for sale. The only bike I ever want to ride is the Sduro, and I'm actually pedaling harder than I used to because it reacts so well to torque. I'm getting a better workout!

Shoestring: Toggle through that S button on your control pad and I think you'll find an odometer. My screen records total and trip mileage.

Edit: Next in the mail is a Bikespeed-RS dongle to uncork the speed limit, a slightly larger chainring to accommodate it, and a narrower Ritchey riser bar. The stock 730mm bars may work for you taller folks, but I'm practically riding on the brake lever clamps instead of the grips. Too wide! Oh, those are new, too: I added Ergon grips.

I would be interested to know what slightly larger chainring you have added as I find myself in the very top gear often when riding on level ground. In a way I would like to add a second chainring with front changer so I can retain the low granny gears as well. I need almost the lowest at present to get home to my house. (mountains).

Welcome to the elite Haibike club, JayVee. Your "HOG" , Haibike Owners Group package will be arriving shortly. (hope the real HOG group doesn't see this, at least they can't ride down the bike trail and beat us up!) There are many benefits to be enjoyed, one being our wallets are much thinner and don't protrude from our pockets making riding much more comfortable. All your ebike friends will wish they were "just like you" riding tall and proud on that new Haibike. So be sure to enjoy your new found popularity and ride with pride!

I would be interested to know what slightly larger chainring you have added as I find myself in the very top gear often when riding on level ground. In a way I would like to add a second chainring with front changer so I can retain the low granny gears as well. I need almost the lowest at present to get home to my house. (mountains).
I only went up two teeth from 38 to 40 so I could still use the stock chain and chainguard..we'll see if it makes enough of a difference to power the higher speed potential. But first I have to get the 38 off. I have one chainring bolt that adamantly refuses to unscrew from the nut using the correct tool in the two little notches. Maddening!

I would be interested to know what the "correct tool" is for those notched nuts on the inside of the chainring. Is there a special tool sold for this purpose?
I loosened mine by using an allen wrench in the front hex and lightly tapping it round with nothing in the notches. It might be an old fashioned technique. I will plead guilty to that :)

Aha, thanks for that info :) I have only had my Haibike for less than a month and have yet to find the good sources for tools pertaining to these modern or specifically electric bikes. I also wish to find a tool to remove the crank arms from the motor shaft. Closest dealer for me is at least a 2 hour drive away. Thankfully the Haibike club came to my rescue.

Aha, thanks for that info :) I have only had my Haibike for less than a month and have yet to find the good sources for tools pertaining to these modern or specifically electric bikes. I also wish to find a tool to remove the crank arms from the motor shaft. Closest dealer for me is at least a 2 hour drive away. Thankfully the Haibike club came to my rescue.
Park Tool is the number one source for bicycle specific tools in the world.

http://www.parktool.com

Pedro's and Topeak also make great bike tools as well. They're quality lifetime tools. I own tools from all three. They aren't the cheapest tools though, and some prefer a more modest solution. Some tools like the crank puller you mention aren't worth going cheap, because there's the chance one could damage the bike. I tend to follow the adage: How come there's never enough time and money to do it right the first time, but always enough time and money to do it over.

Park Tool has a great help section, that's worth a look. I'm with you on the convenience of DIY. There are a few different crank pullers, I'm not sure which your bike has, so check the Park Tool link.

Good info J.R. thanks When I think back to my first good bike, the DIY tools that I needed were Campagnolo. I'd hate to have to buy them again !

I would be interested to know what the "correct tool" is for those notched nuts on the inside of the chainring. Is there a special tool sold for this purpose?
I loosened mine by using an allen wrench in the front hex and lightly tapping it round with nothing in the notches. It might be an old fashioned technique. I will plead guilty to that :)

I tried the tapping method, but the whole nut/bolt assembly is turning in the chainring. I still haven't found a way to break it loose.

I'm not sure if this is true for Bosch motors, but my Yamaha doesn't require a special crank remover tool, it's a standard square taper crankarm. Assuming you already have a crank puller in your kit, it should work on your Haibike.

That must be a bit frustrating. I wish I could say I have never had to deal with such problems.
Here are a few tips to try.
1. Tighten the bolt a little more before trying to loosen it. Lightly tap in both directions.
2. Give it a little squirt of WD40 or PB blaster or similar penetrating oil/liquid, probably best applied to the back side where it can infiltrate easiest.
3. Apply a little heat with an electric heat gun or hair dryer.

My bike is Sduro and has Yamaha motor and FSA ck 745 cranks. I had assumed that it has M22 thread for a removing tool to press it off the square taper but I have not really looked yet. Snow on the ground and freezing temps slow me down LOL Good luck.

Last edited:
I just added a nice ebike kick stand to my sduro. I purchased it back in early April from Motostrano. After the order went thru, Motostrano contacted me to let me know it was out of stock and it would ship in a week or so. Then they emailed me and said it was going to be about 3 or so weeks. They offered to close the order and refund the purchase price on the spot. I'm in no hurry so I'll wait. 3 weeks later I shot them an email to check on it, it had arrived in the states and would ship as soon as it was in stock. By the end of the week, its bolted on and everybody's happy. As far as I'm concerned , the Motostrano folks are straighter shooters. I would not hesitate to purchase from them again. ( just in case anybody's interested)

Back