Jello from Sacramento!

Ellis

Cello everyone. Long time regular bike rider 3 time electric bike test rider. I'm an older guy (hem-hem), that is to say I'm in my prime, gave an EB a whirl and absolutely loved it. Now I know what I have been missing. Hoping to become a "die hard" fan. Looking forward to talking with you. Thanks!

It is currently the wild, wild west of e-bikes. Sellers are salivating at the number of people willing to plunk out the cash for these WONDERFUL machines. I'll be as brief as I can below with my story. Use it to inform your story. It will be YOUR story that counts. Remember that.

Late 2017 -- I test road my friends new e-bike (Rad Power). I did NOT like it. It felt out of control, like I had to learn to ride a motorcycle. I love technology, but I prefer it to be user friendly. I felt surge was an issue. My friend already had a fender support come undone and it was less than a couple months old.

2018-2020 March -- I primarily used this web-site and mostly Court's videos to research many brands and bikes. I was floored at the $7K and above e-bikes. I was impressed with the fat tire bikes. I am an urban, mountain bike rider in the Pacific Northwest, but used to ride in NYC and upstate NY. I had to decide if I would prefer hub motor or mid drive. It took a little while, 6-10 months, but mid drive was what seemed to work best for my needs/desires. Look online for the difference. There are some British guys that even do an uphill test of the two with CHEAPISH bikes. Although I understood why and what I wanted, I resisted the higher price of the mid drive. In order to maybe address this, I began to look at the BAFANG, "direct-to-consumer" models online. Again, Court's (EBR) information is very good. I also began to see the difference in quality of the various brands and their components. Do your research, you will not regret it.

Even as recently as February 2020, I began to feel overwhelmed again. Not to worry because in March when I was ready to pull the trigger, just shopping online, I always had a vast amount of knowledge to know what was good and what was NOT a good buy. Fat tire vs. plus size tire vs. regular tire also had me OVERTHINKING. Like a car, these things depreciate the minute you ride your first 50 miles. I just wanted to make a wise choice.

End of March, 2020 Finally, I did a google SHOPPING search and found the 2018 Fuji Ambient 1.3, reviewed here, for $2K. I immediately bought it. The big three are Giant, Specialized, and Trek, the latter two out of my price sensitivity, BUT prices have just (last 6 months) begun to come down with the latter two also. Next, I went to my local bike shop and what did I see? I saw a $2,400, 2018 Giant Explore 3.0 on sale for $2K. I immediately bought that for my casual path, gravel trail rides and it has been used by a friend to do some fire roads on mountains with NO problems. That's two good quality e-bikes for $4K. And they're mid drives. Hub motors are fine. I was very close to buying the Ride1Up, Juiced, or Aventon models.

I feel so blessed to have gotten what I wanted, mid drive quality, at decent prices. If you can hold off for even the summer and just take your time and do the research, I assure you, you will feel prouder of yourself for making a sound choice in e-bike. Not to worry, it's okay to make quick decisions and get to the joy too. Whatever you do, I am thrilled that you'll soon have that big goofy grin on your face that almost ALL e-bike neophytes describe about their first purchase/ride. Good luck!

Welcome to the two you. I agree that it is very wise to be be patient when buying your first bike; read as much as you about each one; know what your needs are and what your budget is. All of this information can be found in this forum, thanks to people like Court and it’s participating members. Then, with this knowledge, it’s up to you to go out to bike shops that sell them and test ride. Good luck and have fun.

Back