Jeep unveils electric bicycle with massive 1.5 kW peak motor in Super Bowl ad

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
I can't wait to see this monster in person... June 2020. ;)

The actual subject of the commercial is the Jeep Gladiator pickup truck.
However, the new Jeep electric bicycle makes a short cameo part way through the ad.

Concurrently with Jeep dropping the ad on YouTube, US-based electric bicycle distributor QuietKat, who is apparently working with Jeep on the new Jeep e-bike, uploaded more information onto its website. According to the site, the Jeep electric bicycle will apparently feature extra wide 4.8″ fat tires, will be capable of achieving 40 miles (64 km) of range on a single charge and will be available in June of 2020. They also claim the Jeep e-bike will feature a 750 W electric motor.

Jeep e-bike

But it won’t. See below. That’s all the information that Jeep has released so far. But they surely didn’t realize just how big of e-bike nerds we are here at Electrek. So now let me give you the specs they didn’t list, but that we can pull out of the few spares images and short video clip. First of all, that mid-drive motor seen on the Jeep e-bike isn’t a 750 W motor. It’s a motor built by Chinese company Bafang and is known internally as the model M620. Externally, it’s known as the Bafang Ultra. It puts out at least 1,600 W of peak power with a standard 52V e-bike battery. And it pushes 160 Nm of torque at the rear wheel. Folks, that’s an insane amount of torque – a level that most gas-motorcycles don’t reach. That motor can literally twist and rip a bike chain to pieces. I know this because I was riding a Bafang Ultra-equipped e-bike at Eurobike 2019 this year when that very scenario occurred beneath my feet.

Attachments

• 1580667880284.png
    1580667880284.png
    918.4 KB · Views: 466

Looking at how quietkat prices ebikes seems pricing will be ridiculous unless their retailers heavily discount. Their current high end model is priced roughly 2x that of a FREY AM1000 and I doubt the components are as good.

Looking at how quietkat prices ebikes seems pricing will be ridiculous unless their retailers heavily discount. Their current high end model is priced roughly 2x that of a FREY AM1000 and I doubt the components are as good.

I agree... it's really a mystery why people will pay more for EBike with an automobile legacy brand name. ;)

I like the glossy charcoal color. Blends well with the motor and bottom battery without making them stick out.

QuietKat ebikes have been ridiculously over priced since their inception. Typically their bafang drives have been the aftermarket variety and poorly mounted at that. Their frames look just like any you could order off Alibaba. And their bikes weigh over 70 lbs on average.
With the Jeep name on it, they'll probably try to price it over $7000, and pray that Jeep owners would drop that kind of coin. Jeep owners pay a pretty stiff premium already.

The quiet Kat target market has been hunters, but they have been struggling to find capable dealers. Archery shops don't know much about bikes or ebikes let alone how to service.

Just watched the video again. He's not actually riding the "new" Jeep electric bicycle. The one in the video has an external battery. Seems they just took one of the existing QuietKat bikes and slapped a Jeep sticker on the battery.

1580718049173.png

An update from Electrek... still overpriced in my book. ;)

Jeep is asking for a whopping $5,899 for its fat tire, all-terrain electric bicycle.
To put that in perspective, other popular fat tire electric bikes such as the RadRover from Rad Power Bikes retail for around a quarter of that price.
Jeep e-bike goes on sale today - Of course the Jeep electric bicycle is a lot more e-bike than most others, to be fair.

Marketed under a partnership with North American company QuietKat, the Jeep e-bike puts out an astounding 160 Nm (118 lb-ft) of torque, thanks to its massively powerful Bafang Ultra mid-drive motor. That motor is well known to put out over 1.5kW of power, though QuietKat and Jeep market the e-bike as providing 750W of power. They could be detuning the motor, or more likely using a lower figure to avoid running afoul of e-bike regulations in many US states that limit power to 750W.

1583215737425.png

I have access to 5 jeep e-bikes all brand new in the box here in California. $4900 2020 Brand New Quietkat EBike w/ Saddle bags. They have been a dealership since they were released from quietkat in a storeroom. I am hoping to help sell 5 of these and get the opened 6th one cheap for myself. Send me a message and i'll give the salesman phone number. He gets the sales and hopefully I get a new Jeep Bike.

Geez....I figure as long as Jeep DOESN’T have a hand in building it there’s a possibly it won’t have horrible reliability of their four wheel brethren. CN

Back