iZip E3 Peak vs. Stromer Sport vs. Pedego City Commuter

Given my priorities, which would you get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daikon38

I'm looking to get an electric bike -- used. So I've been frequenting Craigslist and came across the following choices:
  • iZip E3 Peak -- a few months old @ $1,500
  • Stromer Sport -- a few months old @ $1,200
  • Pedego City Commuter -- one year old @ $1,800
I'm curious which you would choose and why?

My priorities (in order of importance):
  1. Reliability (company's reputation, history of repairs, likelihood of defects/problems/repairs)
  2. Hill-Climbing Ability (I live in a neighborhood with rather steep hills to climb)
  3. Price/Cost of Ownership
  4. Ease of Maintenance (I'm a newbie to bikes so I prefer plug-and-play applications)
  5. Comfort
Other background info:
  • I have no intentions of doing off-road, off-trail riding.
  • I'll be sticking to paved roads and well-traveled trails.
  • Primary use is recreation and exercise. Not commuting.
  • I'll likely be mounting a child seat on the back and taking my 1 year-old out on bike rides.
  • I'm leaning towards the iZip E3 Peak.

Other Curiosity:
  • I wonder if there's a consensus in the e-bike community regarding company reputation for reliability?

Thanks in advance for any input, advice, suggestion, information, etc. you can provide!

Izip, pedego,walk, crawl, give up, then get a stromer sport if you must. ....St1 probably....sport no....not my favorite experience

Agree with Shea,

Stromer Sport is outdated and has many weak components (Avid BB5 for such a heavy bike, cheap shifters etc) and they had mechanical problems with the motor.

Izip peak with a healthy battery is a great choice at that price point.

I have a City Commuter and it is just that, a commuter. The upright sitting stance removes any feel for recreation and delivers comfort for longer commutes. Additionally, the City Commuter is very rear-heavy and I'd be concerned about having the added weight of a child in a seat on the back. I have panniers on mine and typically carry a laptop, bike lock, repair tools and extra tube, and occasionally a change of clothes for work or a jacket. With just that additional weight the potholes hit hard on the rear wheel. The Peak and Stromer bikes do not have the battery mounted over the rear wheel, so although I don't have any experience with those bikes, my guess is that one of those two would be better for you than the City Commuter.

I voted for the Peak since I like my Dash a lot, but I'd test out the hill-climbing ability before buying.

You can't internet shop and make a decision...

Ride as many ebikes as you can and choose.

Any used ebike that has a transferable warranty would be a major plus in my book.. I think Stromer is transferable, but don't know about the others.

seems like a good price for the Peak, and the mid-drive setup should make it a better hill climber than the others. When (if) you check it in person, you can use the console diags ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)) to check the amp hours of the fully charged battery to make sure it is in decent shape.

If you do the City Commuter route (I have one and LOVE it; I've done 2,200 miles on it since February), check with Pedego about getting one of their new control boxes. It gives you the ability to use the throttle while in pedal-assist mode. I mention this specifically because you mention hills. If you have to stop on the middle of a hill, getting started up is a lot easier if you can juice that first revolution on the pedals using the throttle.

Thank you all for your great advice!

Happy to report that I went with the iZip Peak. Picked it up yesterday with about 75 miles on the odometer.

One problem -- the bike doesn't have a kickstand. Any recommendations?

Back