"It’s time to get an electric bike. It will change your life. Seriously. I’m not kidding." ...says this article.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Ok, we're preaching to the choir here. But how about forwarding this article to everyone you know, if you already benefit from this new 'wonder drug' called an ebike.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-04-16/why-dont-you-have-an-electric-bike-already/

More quotes:

"The benefits to cycling are legion. If a pill or a gadget could make you happy, improve your immune function, make you less likely to take sick days, make you less likely to get depressed, cure your depression better than current medications, give you more energy throughout the day, help you sleep, improve your skin, promote your brain health, prevent heart disease and type 2 diabetes, prevent dementia, reverse heart disease and diabetes, prevent multiple kinds of cancer, help you age well, and help you stay mobile and active until a few short years before your death, you would see people standing in line for days to purchase it. But the fact is exercise can accomplish all of the above for you. Indeed, 30 minutes of exercise a day is basically a wonder drug that is cheap, available to all, and has few side effects. Since you already have errands and commutes to do, walking or biking these trips is an easy way to ensure you get your vital 30 minutes a day."

Calorie Burn:

"Let’s take a 150 lb person and examine their average calorie burn per 30 minutes of activity, the exercise being on the moderate side.

Watching TV—2 (seriously ? If they are eating popcorn, or worse Dorito's and a can of pop, its NEGATIVE 'burn', or rather CALORIE ADDING)
Car driving—34 (yep, I see people stuffing their face frequently while driving)
Reading, sitting—42 (nobody in America eats while reading or sitting ? Do they ?)
Computer work—51 (ok, I'll stop making smart a$$ remarks)
Sitting in meetings—60
Walking 3.5 mph (17 min/mi)—149
E-biking 12 – 14 mph–223
Regular bicycling 12 – 14 mph—298"

Use Case :

"I’ll give a case of going to my acupuncturist. Her office is 2.2 miles away, on a bus line that stops half a block from my house. There are two substantial hills on the way if I bike.
Walk—50 min
Muni bus—30 min (includes 3 min walking and 8 minutes waiting)
Regular bike—24 min there, 27 min home (worse hill on way home)
Drive—24 min (20 min drive + park/feed meter)
E-bike—15 min each way
E-bike wins hands down.
It even substantially beats Lyft/Uber because while you don’t have to park with rideshare, you do have to wait 1 – 5 minutes for them to pick you up."

And another:

"Here’s another Use case. My sister lives in the suburbs of Seattle. Her closest grocery store is 2.2 miles from her house, up a big hill every time she leaves her home.
Walk—44 min
Bus—not an option, none exists
Regular bike—17 min (Google map estimate)
Drive—8 – 11 min, depending on time of day (6 – 9 min drive+ 2 min park/walk)
E-bike—11 min
E-bike wins because it’s as fast or nearly as driving, less frustrating if there’s traffic, and better exercise. And more fun!"

Long article, but some good points made in it.

In Spring and Summer it is fun to measure my rides in bunnies! Today it was a "one bunny" ride. :)

Well, I see lots of snowshoe hares (technically not bunnies), ruffled grouse, various rodents of varying shapes and sizes, and deer (both mule and white-tailed).

Then there is the less-frequently seen charismatic megafauna: bear, wolves, moose, bobcats, cougars, bald eagles, &c.

Well, I see lots of snowshoe hares (technically not bunnies), ruffled grouse, various rodents of varying shapes and sizes, and deer (both mule and white-tailed).

Then there is the less-frequently seen charismatic megafauna: bear, wolves, moose, bobcats, cougars, bald eagles, &c.
... And the occasional Zombie with a smartphone in my neighborhood ! ?

Hi Mike.
It changed my life for the better immediately and for the past 2 months, literally "every day" has been affected.

You forgot to mention the use case where you see coyote pups swimming in the creek. Beats a car any day of the week.
On my morning commute in the fall, it’s squirrels, squirrels, and more squirrels. A good bell ring gets their attention, usually. I’ve had a few close calls, including one running between the wheels.

We purchased them to take RVing with us, just to add to the camping experience, ride the trails, ride to close by attractions, and visit close by small towns. Oh yes, and to Walmart where campers shop.

I am waiting to see a black bear on one of my rides. Everyone seems to be seeing them out and about, robbing the bird feeders, and excitedly sharing the photos on their phones. I'm feeling a bit left out. :confused:

Maybe I should just hang a birdfeeder from my handlebars...

I am waiting to see a black bear on one of my rides. Everyone seems to be seeing them out and about, robbing the bird feeders, and excitedly sharing the photos on their phones. I'm feeling a bit left out. :confused:

Maybe I should just hang a birdfeeder from my handlebars...
Be careful what you wish for. My husband and I were walking towards a small lake on some timber company land, when we heard a very grouchy roar near the lake. It's a very scary sound. I said, THAT was a very grumpy bear!! We're getting out of here right now!! He wanted to go a bit closer 😯. I said forget it, we're outta here! Call me a coward, but I lived to tell the tale, anyway.

Bears are one thing, and this time of year they go away (who knows where...Costa Rica?) but deer are what will destroy you...statistically and just up my street

Back