It's fire season again

I just came back from doing errands at lunch time. Yup, it’s darker than this morning when I got in at 7am.
8750DD86-6F46-47FC-8B6A-BF49C25A6B41.jpeg

Last edited:
Our power was cut off Monday evening as a part of the utility's Public Safety Power Shutoff program. It came back on about an hour ago...😀. No more generator, at least for awhile.

Winds have died down and shifted direction. Looks like San Francisco is getting all the fire smoke. Time for a bike ride in the AM.

Our power was cut off Monday evening as a part of the utility's Public Safety Power Shutoff program. It came back on about an hour ago...😀. No more generator, at least for awhile.

Winds have died down and shifted direction. Looks like San Francisco is getting all the fire smoke. Time for a bike ride in the AM.

We are currently experiencing our own blackout conditions in NorCal with dark skies and a strange orange glow during daylight hours. ;)

Having been evacuated thrice in the last five fire seasons, you all have my sympathies.

100F and 9% here with winds gusting to 20mph. All it is going to take is a spark and everything will explode.
Forget C-19, With all this smoke I need to wear a mask in bed. His majesty is worse than no help at all. With a stimulus check
you´ll eat for a day, but there´s plenty of work for the unemployed in in a civilian corp of engineers If we set out to green
arid & soil depleted land & set to work on that infrastructure they´ve promised to make a plan for 3 1/2 years. Itś time to
get our hands dirty, people!

Well, I got my ride in this AM. With more moderate temps I had hoped for a longer trip, even brought a 2nd battery, but with the smoke I had to cut it short;

0910201232_Film1.jpg

View out over a nearby commercial area. Smoke as far as I could see.

I got 17 miles at an avg of 14mph with 1360ft of climbing. Headed home when I started coughing. Didn't need the 2nd battery...😕

Is it time to exit the Bay Area?

Where would you go? Everywhere else is on fire.

You have a similar WUI problem everywhere in the American West and Canada as well. There have been catastrophic wildfires in places like Gatlinburg, TN. With climate change no place is likely to be safe.

Another indoor day for me in Western WA. Cleared up a bit yesterday, but today can barely see across the harbor.

We need rain!!!

I wonder who might be crazy enough to be setting dozens of fires up and down the West coast? :mad:
We've had 2 local arson fires in the last week, both quickly extinguished by the FDs, but yeah, what kind of a nut job does that?

I wonder who might be crazy enough to be setting dozens of fires up and down the West coast? :mad:

Most of these fires were started on Labor Day. A lot of people were out camping this weekend, probably even more than usual due to the covid. In spite of a total fire ban nearly everywhere many people had campfires.

There were wind events Monday afternoon all over Oregon, Washington, and California.

Approximate fire start locations from inciweb in WA and OR are consistent with people camping, or in some cases having a barbecue.

That's all it took. Certainly it is possible that some of the fires were deliberately set, but it is extremely unlikely that most or all were. And note that it can still be arson (or murder) if your illegal campfire escapes and destroys somebody's home or kills someone.

Another indoor day for me in Western WA. Cleared up a bit yesterday, but today can barely see across the harbor.

We need rain!!!
Maybe in a month...😔 Just coming into peak fire season now here in Nor Cal.

Most of these fires were started on Labor Day. A lot of people were out camping this weekend, probably even more than usual due to the covid. In spite of a total fire ban nearly everywhere many people had campfires.

There were wind events Monday afternoon all over Oregon, Washington, and California.

Approximate fire start locations from inciweb in WA and OR are consistent with people camping, or in some cases having a barbecue.

That's all it took. Certainly it is possible that some of the fires were deliberately set, but it is extremely unlikely that most or all were. And note that it can still be arson (or murder) if your illegal campfire escapes and destroys somebody's home or kills someone.
Several of our nearby fires stared near or in popular mountain camps being reported shortly after Labor Day. I agree with your theory about illegal campfires being the cause...🤬

Two local fires have been confirmed as arson in the last couple of days...😕

Back