It's cataract surgery time

ChezCheese:)

Region
USA
City
Kitsap Co, WA
Ok, so it is time for me to get my cataracts replaced with bionic lenses. I have a choice of getting the standard lenses (free, thanks to Medicare) or forking out money for fancier lenses. I have been nearsighted my whole life, with a strong astigmatism. I do not mind wearing glasses at all -- they have protected my eyes from insects, flying debris and tree branches innumerable times. And they are camouflage to make me look smarter than I am. ;) If I get the standard implants, I would still wear glasses. Astigmatism would not be fixed by the implants.

Next choice costs $2000 PER eye. This would give me one focal length where I wouldn't need glasses. As in either distance, or medium (computer/dashboard distance, or close (reading). I guess most people choose to have distance vision in focus, and wear glasses for medium distance and reading.

For the next tier, at $3750 PER eye, I could just get by with drugstore "cheaters" for reading.

For $4500 PER eye, I could get the top of the line, all distances covered lenses. No glasses needed. Astigmatism fixed, he says.

I think, I'm fine with the free standard lenses, I've worn glasses forever. But then I think, you only have this operation once. Maybe I should spend some dough. But since I'd still have to wear glasses anyway, it really only makes sense to choose the $4,500 version which eliminates glasses and astigmatism, otherwise, what's the point?

If you have had cataract surgery, what did you choose? What was your experience? Any advice either about whether to spend a pile of money or about after-surgery care? How did it all go for you?

Ok, so it is time for me to get my cataracts replaced with bionic lenses. I have a choice of getting the standard lenses (free, thanks to Medicare) or forking out money for fancier lenses. I have been nearsighted my whole life, with a strong astigmatism. I do not mind wearing glasses at all -- they have protected my eyes from insects, flying debris and tree branches innumerable times. And they are camouflage to make me look smarter than I am. ;) If I get the standard implants, I would still wear glasses. Astigmatism would not be fixed by the implants.

Next choice costs $2000 PER eye. This would give me one focal length where I wouldn't need glasses. As in either distance, or medium (computer/dashboard distance, or close (reading). I guess most people choose to have distance vision in focus, and wear glasses for medium distance and reading.

For the next tier, at $3750 PER eye, I could just get by with drugstore "cheaters" for reading.

For $4500 PER eye, I could get the top of the line, all distances covered lenses. No glasses needed. Astigmatism fixed, he says.

I think, I'm fine with the free standard lenses, I've worn glasses forever. But then I think, you only have this operation once. Maybe I should spend some dough. But since I'd still have to wear glasses anyway, it really only makes sense to choose the $4,500 version which eliminates glasses and astigmatism, otherwise, what's the point?

If you have had cataract surgery, what did you choose? What was your experience? Any advice either about whether to spend a pile of money or about after-surgery care? How did it all go for you?
Tough call. I would be more concerned with the additional risks vs the additional costs, but my eyes still work well. My wife is like you with very poor sight, bifocals since first grade etc., and just decided against a similar surgery...

The upside is great, but "Do you feel lucky? " always occurs to me about surgery of any kind.

Well, it is not lasik surgery where they are slicing and dicing your lens. They are cutting in just to slip out the bio lens and inserting the acrylic lens. He said the operation takes 7 minutes! Also, my eyes aren't going to get better. The cataract in my dominant eye is smack in the middle of my vision, and already I can't drive at night because oncoming headlights are so glare-y. It's not like I have years to ponder this. My mother had this done about 15 years ago, and it was pretty magical, the improvement. If I hadn't seen her go through it, I might be more trepidatious, but she had no problems.

Developed a post-traumatic cataract in one eye from a childhood injury and had to have that lens replaced in 2001 at age 50. Insurance (not Medicare) covered everything. Don't recall being offered a choice of lenses and ended up with one configured for distance. Since I was farsighted in the other eye, just kept wearing glasses with quality progressive lenses on both sides.

My recovery was mildly annoying for a few days, otherwise fine. However, as a retired MD, I strongly urge you to take others' experiences with the surgery with a train car of salt. Their situations and/or procedures could well differ from yours, their trouble might have come from not following post-op instructions, and you tend to get exaggerated war stories having little to do with what the vast majority of patients experience.

Rely on your ophthalmologist for this info instead. You may have to press for details and the odds of this or that happening, but they're not going to load you up with nonsense.

Good luck!

My brother had cataract surgery in both eyes back in 2018. He paid extra (I'm not sure how much) for the fancy "no glasses" lenses which worked great for a year and a half. After that, his prescription changed due to normal aging and he now wears glasses again. The prescription is no where near as strong as pre surgery and he still considers the $$ well spent.

This was 5 years ago, so lens technology and surgical techniques may have changed since then.

How much for a new pair of eyes? 😄

...If you have had cataract surgery, what did you choose? What was your experience? Any advice either about whether to spend a pile of money or about after-surgery care? How did it all go for you?
I have had them removed from both eyes. They did give me a choice of one eye near and one far (my terminology). If shooting a firearm or driving a commercial vehicle is a concern, choose carefully.

Yes, he said they can configure the lenses that way, but that is not how I imagine eyes and brains are supposed to work together.

Yes, he said they can configure the lenses that way, but that is not how I imagine eyes and brains are supposed to work together.
Again, bring that concern to your ophthalmologist before dismissing this option on the grounds that it bucks your common-sense expectations. Common sense doesn't necessarily apply to things as complex as the brain-eye system.

You have the right to ask as many questions as it takes to come to a rational decision.

Last edited:
Being unable to see up close has been a surprisingly annoying part of getting old. My brain still really doesn't comprehend that things don't get clearer if you move them closer. My lenses are fine and I'd be tempted to spend $4500/eye to have simultaneous near/far vision again! What's the name of that option? I'd love to learn more about just to know what tech is available.
They did give me a choice of one eye near and one far (my terminology).
I did this with contact lenses for a couple of years and it worked very well for me when the difference between the eyes was less than 0.5 diopters. However, I continued to get more farsighted and now I need 0.75-1.0 diopter of difference for near/far vision, and I find that to be an uncomfortable difference. I find it better now to have two matching eyes (and I have contacts for near and far days) so I can wear cheap +/-0.75 diopter glasses to offset as needed.

Blending is popular, one eye short, one long.
I cannot imagine how awful that would feel, just try holding reading glasses over one eye, your brain hates it, you actually feel pain as it tries to stretch your tired old focus muscles.

Blending is popular, one eye short, one long.
I cannot imagine how awful that would feel, just try holding reading glasses over one eye, your brain hates it, you actually feel pain as it tries to stretch your tired old focus muscles.

If it's so awful, how is it popular? Common sense doesn't get you very far with human physiology.

Best of luck to you. There certainly are a dizzying array of choices available. I went with the top of the line lenses and wish I had just gone with the Medicare standard lenses; one closeup eye and one distance eye which I what I was born with. I've worn glasses since I was 7 years old and have astigmatism as well. First surgery was on the left eye by a local eye doc with tons of cataract experience and many positive reviews. I followed the post-operative instructions to the letter. A few months in, the connection to the eye muscles that is supposed to keep your lens "moving" for lack of a better term froze due to the presence of extensive scar tissue. I had a "yag" procedure done by the same doctor to remove some of the scar tissue. A few months later I developed floaters and a milky white substance which is like looking through egg white. It comes and goes - sometimes I notice it more than others. I have been told that since I had the "yag" already a subsequent correction could lead to total loss of vision in my left eye so I am learning to live with the intermittent raw egg white look in my left eye. Second surgery was on the right eye but from a different physician. I went to get a second opinion from a nationally recognized cataract doc that had done both of a friends' eyes and she no longer needs to wear glasses at all. He told me that the lens in my left eye was considered outdated 10 years ago. He inserted a different, but still top of the line lens in my right eye. All went well until about 2 years ago when I experienced a sudden fogging of vision in my right eye - more of the egg white look and floaters plus what appeared to be a bright light from a door opening and closing in the night. Went back to the doc right away to make sure that my retina hadn't torn or detached (it had not, thank goodness) but unfortunately that doctor had retired. Another excellent eye surgeon has been able to restore the vision in my right eye to 20/20 but I still have intermittent fogging and floaters. I apparently am one of the 30% of folks for whom these premium intraocular lenses do not work well but there was no way to know that going in. You could have an entirely different and much more positive experience. Best wishes for a successful surgery!

Last edited:
Aside from all of the other important considerations, try to think about it from the point of view of which decision would you most regret NOT going with two years from now? $9k is a lot of money now, but will it seem like all that much in a couple of years?

TT

If it's so awful, how is it popular? Common sense doesn't get you very far with human physiology.
My MIL has suffered from vertigo and balance issues for about 10 years. One would've thought both common sense and knowledge of human physiology would've identified her as a poor candidate for blending.

Nor with medicine as a business. We can all think of times that the risks of a treatment were minimized while benefits exaggerated...
I am of the mind of absolutely minimizing the risks of anything that is currently a "popular procedure" ... and get the best surgeon/ simplest procedure you can, when you are required to undergo it.

They did give me a choice of one eye near and one far (my terminology). If shooting a firearm or driving a commercial vehicle is a concern, choose carefully.
My eyes naturally have that option, near/far. One eye focuses to about 6', the other to about 10". My dominant eye swaps easily from one to the other. The one my brain chooses to see. Left reading, right walking around or outdoors. No problem. I ride the bike without perscription glasses, since speeds are low and I don't need to see street signs. I do wear sunglasses or safety glasses near traffic (dump trucks) or mowers.

Nor with medicine as a business. We can all think of times that the risks of a treatment were minimized while benefits exaggerated...
Yes, those things happen, but it's important to recognize that they're not the norm. I've known hundreds of docs. The vast majority act in their patients' best interests.

Back