It finally happened - ran out of juice

What size battery, what type of terrain and how in shape are you?.. 100mi. is impressive!

What size battery, what type of terrain and how in shape are you?.. 100mi. is impressive!
500WH and for 60, I think I'm in good shape! I have attached the elevation profile, it was 5254 feet of elevation gain !

Attachments

• elevation_profile12.jpg
    elevation_profile12.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I think it’s a psychological thing
Absolutely. It's interesting how lack of accelleration feels like drag. After noticing it on the ebike, I realized that driving a car has this same feeling (when removing one's foot from the gas, or, reducing accelleration). We know that that's not any kind of drag, that it is just caused by the weight of the car, but on a bicycle somehow it feels different. :)

I had it happen once on my BMW Cruise with Bosch Performance Line and 400kwh battery. I left the house with about 80% battery and rode a little over 40 miles. I had the same experience mentioned by another poster here. The last bar cuts off much sooner than you'd expect, a little bit like a car gas tank where it takes a lot of miles to go from full to half-full, but the last quarter of a tank goes more quickly than you'd think.
I was less than a mile from home and there weren't any significant hills in front of me. I put the bike into a low gear and it was definitely tolerable, but not fun. In general, I wouldn't pleasure ride my e-bike without power. I'd do it to extend range or to make the workout tougher, but it's a bit like trying to drive a Volkswagen Beetle up a big hill.

Back