Is There a Quality Hardwired E-bike Headlight?

The Axendo is a "to be seen" light. If you want to actually see for yourself, either Lupine, SON, Buscch und Muller would be fine, Lezyne is also ok-ish. I'd go for B&M, good lights for a reasonable price.


or


SON option

 
The Outbound Lighting Trail EVO is a very nice light, although AU$410
here in Australia (ouch!). I don't wanna sound like a smartarse, but surely
the easiest option is simply to leave the light on the bike whenever one is
out and about? Otherwise, why even have the light?
 
personally when I need some serious bike lights I mount my Gloworm (NZ) to the bike, rather powerfull lights with their own batteries, for daily rides I use the lights of the e-bike, usually enough to see. On my commuter I've got a Supernova Mini at front and a rack mounted Lezyne. Both comply with STVZO so also ok for the Dutch market, works ok.
 
Something like this would work.

I already have that same buck converter mounted on the bike for other accessories.

The light bar is a tempting idea but it takes up a lot of space on the front of the bike. It's also a lot of wattage. If I need that much light, I just mount my 2200 lumen Trail Evo self powered light , https://www.outboundlighting.com/collections/mountain-bike-lights/products/trail-evo-bike-light

For even more light I use the 12000 lumen Olight X7 Marauder
https://www.google.com/search?q=oli...ate=ive&vld=cid:bbe65bc5,vid:3QkyycNWS1Y,st:0

I just need something more compact, in the 1000 lumen range, that I can leave mounted on the bike.
 
The Outbound Lighting Trail EVO is a very nice light, although AU$410
here in Australia (ouch!). I don't wanna sound like a smartarse, but surely
the easiest option is simply to leave the light on the bike whenever one is
out and about? Otherwise, why even have the light?
I already have the Trail Evo and it is indeed a nice light. A bit spendy at $249 US though.

I don't leave it on the bike 24/7, especially during transport. Too easy to steal and it needs to be taken off the bike anyway to recharge. It's also just one more thing to put on the bike when prepping for a ride.
 
The Axendo is a "to be seen" light.
I get it. That makes sense, base… Thanks for clarifying that.

I actually wish my headlight had a low-power setting, which is likely all I’d ever use since I have only used the light “to be seen” — not to ride in the dark. But, the controls are only for on/off. I have it set to always on. I aim it down very low, but there are sometimes still folks on the trail who bitch about the brightness. I’m not particularly sympathetic. :D
 
MagicShine can be used with their own Battery/Power Bank or can be hardwired into your e-bikes battery using MagicShines cable, providing your own ebike has the ability to achieve this, Aventon does.
 
supervova has great ones but they will cost. this trek light has been pretty good. my trek e bike came with it and I had one put on our tandem. you dont get flash mode without their tailight though. but the price is not bad. it has high end cutoff for the lower light mode.

 
I decided to try the Knog Blinder 2300 12V hard wired bike light.
1791466170999.png


I compared it to the similarly priced Trail EVO light from Outbound Lighting:

https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/trail-evo-bike-light

1791466215152.png


The Knog throws slightly more light, but it's concentrated forward and doesn't provide the same side lighting of the EVO. It also is a third the size (no internal battery), has a wired remote switch, and can be left on the bike 24/7. I have a 12V output on the bike, so wiring was a snap.

I moved the Trail EVO mount to the side so it can be used along with the Knog for tunnels and other places where additional lighting is necessary. Otherwise, It stays in the bike bag. I love the EVO, but the switch is internal, requires a good bit of pressure to operate and it's sometimes difficult to operate while riding. The remote switch on the Knog can be placed anywhere on the bars and is much more convenient.

1791467221012.jpeg
1791467256904.jpeg


I solved the problem, mentioned in the first post, about the pitiful OEM bike light by replacing it with this cheap ($14) light from Amazon:

1791467566228.png
1791468361973.jpeg



It throws 5 times the light using the maximum current allowed by the bike controller, and is controlled by the bike display. It also uses the same 2 pin Juliet connector, so it was plug & play.

BTW, anyone interested in the Knog, don't buy from their website. The light is available at many other locations, including Amazon, for over $100 less.
 
Last edited:
Back