Is the CrossCurrent S2 52V the best value and speed and range for the money??

AZOldTech

With high-end specs like 52V/13Ah, 28MPH, hydraulic brakes, 25A controller, torque & cadence sensors, 9sp Shimano Altus drivetrain for $1799, I don't think another ebike comes even close to the value the CCS2 offers. One question I have has to do with range. The company says real range is between 50-75+ miles. I would like to hear from the ones that actually own the CCS2 to tell us what has been the realistic range when the ebike is used at 28mph speed. Cause even a 50 mile range at 28mph would be incredible for an ebike for $1800.

So fire away owners with your real life experience of the CCS2 (and congrats on your purchase BTW). TIA

I have a CCS, not the CCS2, so my experience may not help much. But I think that in terms of range, they are mechanically and electronically similar enough that useful comparisons may be made.

I have the old 48V 17.4 Ah battery, which comes out to a nominal 835 watt hours. I mention the watt hours because the CCS2 has a 52V battery. If we look at watt hours, the similarities are more clear. The 13 Ah battery provides 676 watt hours. Nominally. Good enough for discussion.

I've been able to get a little over 60 miles on a charge when my battery was new. This was on flat ground, very light breeze, averaging 16 mph, with weight around 300 lbs (rider plus gear), and using only the Eco setting. Rounding off, that's 14 watt hours per mile. If you used 14 wh/mi under the same conditions with the CCS2, then it would be right around 48 miles.

You couldn't get that range at 28 mph. These bikes are tuned to be more efficient at higher speeds, but air resistance chews up increasingly more watts the faster you go. Also, unless you are really fit, you're not going to sustain 28 mph in Eco mode. I've come close, in spurts, and I'm not particularly fit. If I want to go that fast, I put it in 3 or S so I'm not flailing away at the pedals.

When the company says you could get 50-75 miles per charge, they're not wrong. A 135 lb. rider on a flat, freshly paved surface, with no wind, using Eco, with no stops and starts, going 12 mph, could probably get 10-11 watt hours per mile, which would put her/him in the mid-60s range.

I agree with Xerxez.
My CCS2, which I have ridden for about 250 miles after I received it last month has the 52 V battery, 13AH. In #1 assists mode I usually commute to work at a speed pf 18-20 miles/h, while still pedaling. When I am back home after 14 miles round trip, the battery is about 45% - 50% full. I live in Michigan an it is not very hilly. I have not tested out the assist modes up to S during my commute because I find the higher speeds put me in danger given the ignorant MI drivers who are not used to bicycles.
we all know: battery power is key and you should buy the most powerful you can afford.

I have had my CCS2 for approx a month ...Just finished 21 mile ride today, about 95% on eco , showed about 35% usage

Back