Ariel Rider X Class 52v Reviews

RickyBikes

Region
USA
The Ariel Rider X Class 52v is a moped-inspired fat-tire electric bike produced by Ariel Rider founders Arna and Berk Onal in Redmond, Washington. This is the newest generation of X Class bikes by Ariel Rider, with the previous incarnation being the 48v model. The 52v is available in one frame size and three colors (red, black and blue). Its banana seat and big headlight give it a vintage motorcycle look. Pricing is set at $2,099, discounted from $2,299. This is $500 more than the original X Class, but it provides more power and range. Highlights of this new model include an upgraded 1,000W hub motor, a huge 110Nm of torque, a long 70+ mile range, adjustable dual suspension, and upgraded, puncture resistant CST tires. The 52v is Ariel Rider’s fastest bike to date. For the power provided, the price is reasonable. It has a high-speed or moped-style bike offering pedal assist and a variable thumb throttle, reaching speeds over 30mph (48km/h) in North America. Here's their official website https://www.arielrider.com and I'd love to hear your thoughts below, especially if you own the Ariel Rider X Class 52v or plan to buy it!!

While I haven't reviewed this electric bike myself, I have covered similar E-Bikes and I wanted to provide some insights and open things up for your feedback. I hope providing several sources, with varying perspectives, allows everyone to come to their own conclusions. Sometimes short reviews and those created by shops only cover the good aspects and can come off like a commercial, so I've tried to be neutral and objective with these insights:

Pros – things that stand out as good:
  • The 52v is a powerful bike built for speed. Rear hub motor placement in the rear hub means it won’t cause wear and tear for the standard drivetrain. The 1,000-watt motor with 2,000-watt peak churns out a huge 110 Nm of torque and reaches speeds over 30mph using the variable thumb throttle alone. The range on the 936 watt-hour removable battery is solid. It’s positioned low and center, which is good for the bike’s center of gravity, and since it’s removable you can store it indoors and away from extreme heat or cold. You can also use the multiple usb ports to charge your phone or power additional lights.
  • The Shimano Altus derailleur is a step up in quality from the base Shimano Tourney. The 52v also uses an SiS Index thumb shifter which is easy to shift even with heavy gloves, and has Tektro hydraulic brakes with motor inhibitors – which is a nice safety feature so you’re never fighting the motor.
  • Ariel Rider’s website lists the 52v at $2,099 – considering the power it provides, this is a good deal. The value in this zippy moped-inspired bike can be found in upgraded components like the Altus derailleur and hydraulic brakes.
  • This bike feels ideally suited for riders of average stature since it comes in one size. It’s worth noting that the stem is adjustable. If taller riders like a more aggressive stance this might be a great option. The 52v has a 300-pound payload capacity for carrying cargo or a passenger. Rear mounted steel pegs for a passenger come standard, as do additional mounting points for platforms, a two-person banana seat or other accessories.
  • Considering the achievable speeds, the integrated lights with brake light activation are a nice safety feature. The reflective striping on the tire sidewalls provides good visibility as well. Ideally, turn signals and mirrors would come with it, but I would still rate this bike’s visibility safety as above average, especially considering the price.
Cons – things that seem like trade-offs or negatives:
  • The 52v is full of power and speed which limits where you can ride it. It should probably be registered as a low-powered scooter as the top speed is somewhere between 32-36 MPH, however, the 52v does not have a VIN or a certificate of origin so it cannot be registered as such. This creates a bit of a gray area for riders; it’s too powerful for bike paths, but possibly difficult or unsafe to ride legally in the street depending on laws and ordinances where you live. If you do need to ride on a bike path, make sure you use a low assist level and keep your speed under 20mph.
  • This is a fairly heavy bike at 75lbs. With all the power it packs this is not surprising, but it would be pretty difficult for most people to carry it up and down stairs, store indoors, or transport on a vehicle.
  • The 52v can only be purchased online on Ariel Rider’s website. This is a tradeoff: if you are already familiar with the previous Ariel Rider X Class 48v, then this should not be an issue and you know what to expect with the bike setup. For the novice rider, this might be more of an issue because you likely won’t be able to test-ride before purchasing and the 52v requires setup once you get it. A novice may need their local bike shop to set it up for them which can cost between $100-$150.
  • Something to keep in mind is that maintenance and support will be more difficult with such a powerful bike. Many traditional bike shops refuse to work on powerful e-bikes that were purchased online.
  • The 52v comes with a left-hand thumb throttle. For most E-Bikes this is of no consequence, and being left-handed I might typically enjoy this feature, however since this is a moped-inspired E-Bike, a right-hand twist throttle like you would find on any motorcycle, scooter or moped would be the ideal choice here. When you consider the left-hand thumb throttle, along with a pretty hard seat (which isn’t ideal for taller riders and keeps you in a fairly aggressive position despite the Promax adjustable stem) and short fenders (which could potentially get water and mud flung on the bottom of the down tube and all over the bottom bracket at high speeds) this bike would not be ideal for touring or commuting.

As always, I welcome feedback and additions to these pros and cons, especially from people who have tried or own the bike. If you see other great video reviews for the Ariel Rider X Class 52v, please share them and I may update this post ongoing so we can get the best perspectives and insights.

Last edited by a moderator:
It comes out of the box 'locked' at 20mph, you have to find the unlock code online and manually unlock the bikes software to reach speeds above 20mph.

the thumb throttle I believe was a supply issue at the time they were being built overseas, but a half twist throttle is easy to add on the bike and switch the wire to. I agree a twist throttle is 'better/cooler/more comfortable' than a thumb throttle, but that's an easy enough mod.

They seem like very good bikes. I ended up ordering a Grizzly but the 52v seems great and I know Rusty (2 of the videos you posted) really loves his bikes....his owner likes them too. Lol

Last edited:
It comes out of the box 'locked' at 20mph, you have to find the unlock code online and manually unlock the bikes software to reach speeds above 20mph.

the thumb throttle I believe was a supply issue at the time they were being built overseas, but a half twist throttle is easy to add on the bike and switch the wire to. I agree a twist throttle is 'better/cooler/more comfortable' than a thumb throttle, but that's an easy enough mod.

They seem like very good bikes. I ended up ordering a Grizzly but the 52v seems great and I know Rusty (2 of the videos you posted) really loves his bikes....his owner likes them too. Lol
This is great information to have, thank you! Great to hear that the mod for the half-twist throttle is easy to add on the bike!

I'm curious, what made you go with a Grizzly vs the 52v?

I Never could understand why Ariel Rider Ebikes never could measure up on this forum while never actually owning one or actually driving one. Ariel Rider Ebike? 🤔

I Never could understand why Ariel Rider Ebikes never could measure up on this forum while never actually owning one or actually driving one. Ariel Rider Ebikes rock? 🤔
Can a higher ranked member here here explain this to us?

The Ariel Rider X Class 52v is a moped-inspired fat-tire electric bike produced by Ariel Rider founders Arna and Berk Onal in Redmond, Washington. This is the newest generation of X Class bikes by Ariel Rider, with the previous incarnation being the 48v model. The 52v is available in one frame size and three colors (red, black and blue). Its banana seat and big headlight give it a vintage motorcycle look. Pricing is set at $2,099, discounted from $2,299. This is $500 more than the original X Class, but it provides more power and range. Highlights of this new model include an upgraded 1,000W hub motor, a huge 110Nm of torque, a long 70+ mile range, adjustable dual suspension, and upgraded, puncture resistant CST tires. The 52v is Ariel Rider’s fastest bike to date. For the power provided, the price is reasonable. It has a high-speed or moped-style bike offering pedal assist and a variable thumb throttle, reaching speeds over 30mph (48km/h) in North America. Here's their official website https://www.arielrider.com and I'd love to hear your thoughts below, especially if you own the Ariel Rider X Class 52v or plan to buy it!!

While I haven't reviewed this electric bike myself, I have covered similar E-Bikes and I wanted to provide some insights and open things up for your feedback. I hope providing several sources, with varying perspectives, allows everyone to come to their own conclusions. Sometimes short reviews and those created by shops only cover the good aspects and can come off like a commercial, so I've tried to be neutral and objective with these insights:

Pros – things that stand out as good:
  • The 52v is a powerful bike built for speed. Rear hub motor placement in the rear hub means it won’t cause wear and tear for the standard drivetrain. The 1,000-watt motor with 2,000-watt peak churns out a huge 110 Nm of torque and reaches speeds over 30mph using the variable thumb throttle alone. The range on the 936 watt-hour removable battery is solid. It’s positioned low and center, which is good for the bike’s center of gravity, and since it’s removable you can store it indoors and away from extreme heat or cold. You can also use the multiple usb ports to charge your phone or power additional lights.
  • The Shimano Altus derailleur is a step up in quality from the base Shimano Tourney. The 52v also uses an SiS Index thumb shifter which is easy to shift even with heavy gloves, and has Tektro hydraulic brakes with motor inhibitors – which is a nice safety feature so you’re never fighting the motor.
  • Ariel Rider’s website lists the 52v at $2,099 – considering the power it provides, this is a good deal. The value in this zippy moped-inspired bike can be found in upgraded components like the Altus derailleur and hydraulic brakes.
  • This bike feels ideally suited for riders of average stature since it comes in one size. It’s worth noting that the stem is adjustable. If taller riders like a more aggressive stance this might be a great option. The 52v has a 300-pound payload capacity for carrying cargo or a passenger. Rear mounted steel pegs for a passenger come standard, as do additional mounting points for platforms, a two-person banana seat or other accessories.
  • Considering the achievable speeds, the integrated lights with brake light activation are a nice safety feature. The reflective striping on the tire sidewalls provides good visibility as well. Ideally, turn signals and mirrors would come with it, but I would still rate this bike’s visibility safety as above average, especially considering the price.
Cons – things that seem like trade-offs or negatives:
  • The 52v is full of power and speed which limits where you can ride it. It should probably be registered as a low-powered scooter as the top speed is somewhere between 32-36 MPH, however, the 52v does not have a VIN or a certificate of origin so it cannot be registered as such. This creates a bit of a gray area for riders; it’s too powerful for bike paths, but possibly difficult or unsafe to ride legally in the street depending on laws and ordinances where you live. If you do need to ride on a bike path, make sure you use a low assist level and keep your speed under 20mph.
  • This is a fairly heavy bike at 75lbs. With all the power it packs this is not surprising, but it would be pretty difficult for most people to carry it up and down stairs, store indoors, or transport on a vehicle.
  • The 52v can only be purchased online on Ariel Rider’s website. This is a tradeoff: if you are already familiar with the previous Ariel Rider X Class 48v, then this should not be an issue and you know what to expect with the bike setup. For the novice rider, this might be more of an issue because you likely won’t be able to test-ride before purchasing and the 52v requires setup once you get it. A novice may need their local bike shop to set it up for them which can cost between $100-$150.
  • Something to keep in mind is that maintenance and support will be more difficult with such a powerful bike. Many traditional bike shops refuse to work on powerful e-bikes that were purchased online.
  • The 52v comes with a left-hand thumb throttle. For most E-Bikes this is of no consequence, and being left-handed I might typically enjoy this feature, however since this is a moped-inspired E-Bike, a right-hand twist throttle like you would find on any motorcycle, scooter or moped would be the ideal choice here. When you consider the left-hand thumb throttle, along with a pretty hard seat (which isn’t ideal for taller riders and keeps you in a fairly aggressive position despite the Promax adjustable stem) and short fenders (which could potentially get water and mud flung on the bottom of the down tube and all over the bottom bracket at high speeds) this bike would not be ideal for touring or commuting.

As always, I welcome feedback and additions to these pros and cons, especially from people who have tried or own the bike. If you see other great video reviews for the Ariel Rider X Class 52v, please share them and I may update this post ongoing so we can get the best perspectives and insights.
Hi. The 52v can be also purchased online on Ridepanda website. >> https://www.ridepanda.com/products/ariel-x-class-52v/ <<

The draw is to get the awesome Customer Support from Ariel Rider that they are known for. I would never buy an Ariel Rider bike from ridepanda.com There is zero advantage to it 😫
1 day ago Ridepanda sold X-Class 52V for $ 2099. From today, $ 2199

The draw is to get the awesome Customer Support from Ariel Rider that they are known for. I would never buy an Ariel Rider bike from ridepanda.com There is zero advantage to it 😫

Yeah I never understood why go through ridepanda (a middleman) when you can just go through the manufacturers themselves? Seems strange.

Yeah I never understood why go through ridepanda (a middleman) when you can just go through the manufacturers themselves? Seems strange.
Customer support and parts availability is just as important as the actual sale of the Ebike :) Ariel Rider has the best customer support out there period. I am a senior citizen and study all facts and fiction. Ebiking is my true love. I am very happy with the past responses on my previous issues with AR because cheap and under knowledgeable buyers are too lazy to do research to find out what is the best for their dollar. I research everything and then some ....... LOL

200 miles on mine as of yesterday.
It's awesome, and the CS has been on point.

AR52vXclass is more fun than I thought it would be. It's fast. Rugged. FUN.

Cons: Crappy, cheap tires. On/Off switch thumb throttle. Low end shifter. Loose spokes. Weak headlight.

Automatic upgrades: New Pedals, added Rear view mirrors, pouches and top cases, twist throttle.

Love this thing.

Anyone know where to get spare batteries? I’ve seen Alibaba and aliepress have similar battery of 48v 16ah .. is it compatible with the x class? or only the Ariel rider ones proprietary ?

Anyone know where to get spare batteries? I’ve seen Alibaba and aliepress have similar battery of 48v 16ah .. is it compatible with the x class? or only the Ariel rider ones proprietary ?
Hi,
Thankfully, Ariel does NOT use a proprietary battery. Their ebike 48v and 52v "X" bikes
use a Reention Dorado 505mm (long) battery casing. If you purchase a 16ah, or higher, battery, it will definately be 505mm long. Stay away from DHGate and AliExpress website vendors. I tried to file a battery-purchase complaint against one of the vendors at DHGate website and was greeted with the following message" "404.. Page Not Found"-- a $300+ lesson learned the hard way.
Go to the following link for good, reliable info and purchaser "piece of mind".
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...es-surface-604-ncm-rize-magnum-aventon.42705/
Buy the largest capacity (18ah+) battery that you can afford. You won't regret doing so. Happy Holidays.

Back