Is it to hilly for a folding electric bike...Newby.

orme

Region
United Kingdom
hi, I'm thinking of selling my big heavy vintage Land rover and going carless. Not so long ago I would probably beat you walking up a mountain or even several in succession...don't care how fit you are. Those days are gone now , Ive got plastic in my in my feet and problems with my neck after an accident. Like the idea of an electric bike ,but which one ? Full size ,probably to big and heavy for me . Folding probably not enough power for the hilly roads where I live. My local shop has a MiRider One that the shop says would be ideal but then another shop suggested that the only solution was a model by Volt which I then found out was bulkier and heavier than most. Just not sure now , shop said that if I could get him a bike that would do all I wanted he could make my rich. Light , small , powerful. Portable Would appreciate some unbiased advice. Male mid 50s, Road use only..5ft 11

This depends on three things: How hilly are your hills (the gradient)? Apart from your health issues, are you a strong person? What your budget is? You are talking about road e-bikes. And you believe you need a lightweight road e-bike.

You might say "too expensive" but yes, there are three pretty expensive unicorns that would meet your criteria:
  • Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon (several models). The e-bike weighs around 18 kg, and is equipped with a full power mid-drive Bosch motor, or
  • Specialized Creo (E5 is the least expensive model). Creos can be even more lightweight than the Cannondale at the cost of low power mid-drive motor and a smaller battery.
  • Orbea Gain, a lightweight road e-bike with low power rear-hub dive motor and a smaller battery.
There are many owners of these three e-bikes in these Forums, and you could ask these users about their experiences (if the cost does not scare you off).

There might be more makes/models to meet your criteria but I'm not experienced with them.

Back