Is it possible to swap an Alfine 11 for the Nuvinci N380?

Over50

Anyone know if it would be possible to switch out the Nuvinci hub on my R&M Charger for a Shimano Alfine 11? Is the Alfine robust enough for mid-drive e-bike use? I saw something online recommending the Alfine 8 over the 11 for a mid-drive e-bike but the 8 doesn't have the gear range of the Nuvinci or the Alfine 11. I think the 11 has slightly more gear range than the Nuvinci at just over 400%. I know I'd have to have the wheel re-built. Could this switch be possible and what would be involved?

The Alfine 11 would be fine on a sensibly shifted legal mid drive e bike. It is very important to get the right tab washer(s) for your dropout style. And don’t scrimp. Go with the Di2. You won’t regret it

Anyone know if it would be possible to switch out the Nuvinci hub on my R&M Charger for a Shimano Alfine 11? Is the Alfine robust enough for mid-drive e-bike use? I saw something online recommending the Alfine 8 over the 11 for a mid-drive e-bike but the 8 doesn't have the gear range of the Nuvinci or the Alfine 11. I think the 11 has slightly more gear range than the Nuvinci at just over 400%. I know I'd have to have the wheel re-built. Could this switch be possible and what would be involved?
Maybe consider a Rohloff?.

We’ve seen some issues with the Alfine not being able to handle the torque of the motor. It’s a finicky hub, when it works it’s great, but technically it’s not rated for higher torque motors. I’ve had one spin loose on me a couple of times, it can be quite scary, especially if you’re in an intersection.

The Alfine 8 does have different internals then the 11 and has less of these. But it’s still technically not rated to handle the power of your bike.

I did a bit more poking on this and beyond the fact that there are some concerns about the Alfine not being able to handle the power, it’s also an issue of having the appropriate software for the configuration which R&M doesn’t have

I did a bit more poking on this and beyond the fact that there are some concerns about the Alfine not being able to handle the power, it’s also an issue of having the appropriate software for the configuration which R&M doesn’t have

Thanks for checking into it. Glad I posted here first. I did check with my LBS and they were not sure and said they would check with Shimano (they probably haven't done so yet). I can tell them not to bother. Thanks again!

I have pretty much given up on my idea of swapping the Nuvinci for an Alfine on my R&M. On another track, I was checking out all the bike makers that use Brose systems (thinking my next commuter bike purchase might have a Brose instead of a Bosch). And via that search, I stumbled on this bike which uses Continental's motor, has a Gates belt and the Alfine 11 hub ... very interesting (to me at least). I'd be curious as to comments/thoughts on Continental's system, the use of the Alfine 11, comments on the bike etc:

https://www.ebike-manufaktur.com/de...shimano-alfine-11-gang-disc-continental-600wh

1526220662317.png

For what it is worth, I have an Alfine 11-speed on a city bike. I rode it thousands of miles in hilly Seattle, and I'm built like and NFL lineman. I cannot imagine a tougher torture test. I never had an issue with the durability of the gears of the Alfine.

I did have two other issues. 1) The seals started leaking after about 1,000 miles. A LBS replaced the seals, and I did not have another problem - however, the bike shop owner swore by greasing the Alfine vs. using oil. It worked, and shifting did not suffer.

The second issue was flakey. I was rolling up to a corner at about 8 mph and hit the brakes hard when a car on my left ran the yield sign. I felt something snap. The disc brake flange sheared right off the hub body. Weird. Shimano replaced the hub under warranty.

Reactions: JRA
I have an ebike fitted with an Alfine 11 Di2. The incidence of gears grating is higher than on my Rohloff-equipped bike (non-ebike).
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an ebike fitted with an Alfine 11 Di2. The incidence of gears grating is higher than on my Rohloff-equipped bike (non-ebike).
... David

Recently I am interested in alfine 11 with di2. How is your experience with your alfine equipped ebike so far ? Any reliability issues ?

Recently I am interested in Alfine 11 with Di2. How is your experience with your Alfine equipped ebike so far? Any reliability issues ?
Johnny …
My experience was not good but it might be an isolated case.
… David

My previous bike was the 2017 Kalhoff Integrale i11 with Di2. The motor was Kalhhoff’s Impulse Evo which they boasted capable of 80nm of torque. I had it for less than a year of casual riding and did not have any issues with it. Except I found it frustrating when the Shimano gear display timed out and you cannot remember what was the last gear. The Impulse display disappointingly did not include the gear information. So similar to David Berry’s post on the Kiox display, I would have to shift up, or down ( to wake the display) to see what gear I am in, in order to know which gear I want to shift to. I loved the electronic shifting, but would have been great to have the information on the main display.

Attachments

• B21016C5-69F5-4EC2-B990-A6315D6F45B4.jpeg
    B21016C5-69F5-4EC2-B990-A6315D6F45B4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 509
  • 2FB2CC9F-D8B3-436E-9DA0-CBC722A0FB16.jpeg
    2FB2CC9F-D8B3-436E-9DA0-CBC722A0FB16.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 524
Back