Is it possible to run a 48v 500w mid motor and a 36v 250w rear hub motor on the same bike?

dollyball

I just bought a Bafang 48v 500w BBS02B mid motor conversion kit and want to mount it on an old 36v 250W rear hub motor ebike. Does anyone know if I can keep the old 36v 250W rear hub motor and and run it together with the new mid motor on the same bike? I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me about it.

Last edited:
Possible yes, practical no. The BBS02 will be fine on it's own. Just replace the rear wheel with a regular one and save yourself a lot of work trying to figure out how to blend the two.

I just bought a Bafang 48v 500w BBS02B mid motor conversion kit and want to mount it on an old 36v 250W rear hub motor ebike. Does anyone know if I can keep the old 36v 250W rear hub motor and and run it together with the new mid motor on the same bike? I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me about it.
Hi JRA, thanks a lot for the advice! But, do you know if it is much easier to combine a 48v 500w mid motor with a 48V 500w hub motor?

Anything is possible and I have seen mid drive/hub conversions, at least online, done by knowledgeable people but the extra complexity of mating the two systems even of the same voltage, not to mention the weight, is not going to be beneficial unless you have some specific needs you are not mentioning.

Anything is possible and I have seen mid drive/hub conversions, at least online, done by knowledgeable people but the extra complexity of mating the two systems even of the same voltage, not to mention the weight, is not going to be beneficial unless you have some specific needs you are not mentioning.
Thanks. Is it true mid motors consume much less power than hub motors?

That debate is ongoing but my personal opinion after using both extensively is that it depends on average speed required over your average terrain and quality of equipment used. I wouldn’t say either is significantly less than the other.

Each motor needs a separate controller so if you want two controllers you can power two motors. Then you have to combine the throttles and other sensors. Not a trivial task.

Have you visited the Endless Sphere forums

Ok, not sure why this idea needs to exist but if it has to here is the easiest way to do it if you feel you must.

Assuming your current hub motor has a working display, controller, battery, throttle and/or cadence sensor you can leave them alone for now.

Disassemble the cranks/bb/cadence sensor (if applicable) and install the BBS02, which has it's own internal controller. Either provide it with it's own battery or split the power source from your existing battery and connect it. Install the provided sensor for the BBS02 cadence sensing and the display. Hopefully your hub motor has a throttle as that is the key to actually making the system make any sense.

So now you have a cadence sensing mid drive with a throttle activated rear hub and a one wheel drive very heavy bike, even heavier if you use two batteries. However there is a limit to the amount of weight that conventional bicycle rated components can stand so as I said in my first post, possible yes, practical no.

Back