Is it possible to detune the assistance level?

jonnyo

I just got a Giant Toughroad E+. this is going to be a very fun bike for my purpose. I m a past professional triathlete and because of injury, have no been able to keep the fitness level up. I m a full time coach now, working with world class athletes and this allow me to go with them on rides without using a motorbike! i think everyone appreciate so far!!! my question is, as i get fitter, and lighter.... is there a way to reduce the level of assistance on the bike? I know the giant phone app allow me to bring eco mode down to 50%. Is there a tuning device that would allow to derate it even more to 25-40%? my idea is, on the flat.... i dont need as much assistance but on the big climb...i will still very much need some help and on rides of 90-110 miles, it might be wise to save on the battery. avg speed for riders can be in the 22-25mph.

Does riding at higher rpm in the 90-95rpm range increase my range and save on the battery? what are the trick to get more range (kms)? thanks you for the feedback!

Back in the good old days (2018) , giant had an evo screen that included a readout of how much assistance the motor is contributing - it's fascinating viewing.

The lower settings have lower cadence support - so setting eco to 50% and spinning at over 80 uses VERY little power.

The higher settings support higher cadence, my full e pro has 5 settings and the lower 2 seem to cut out around 80 then 90. The top settings support up to 100.

With the original Yamaha PW, this trick will dramatically increase your range. That's because assist starts decreasing at 88-90 RPM. But unfortunately I think that the Giant software cuts off assist at a much higher RPM because the firmware is programmed differently.

Find a hill and do some comparative tests. I have a hill near my house. If I climb at 92RPM or higher with the PW I will travel about 3.5 kilometres for 10% battery consumption. At 85 RPMs or lower I will only cover about 2 kilometers for 10% battery consumption. Obvisouly the results depend on many factors, such as wind direction, weight being carried, hill grade, etc. The hill I've chosen is quite steep with one section at about 10% grade. All tests done in STD ("normal" assist level).

On the original PW you can hear the drive reducing assist above 92RPMs. It starts to sound a bit like a rattling kettle.

thank you for the replies! how do you know what engin your having? i purchase a old stock 2018. (canada)

Back