Is Anyone Else Having Second Thoughts About CF Post Titan?

You know all about aircraft certification like: Boeing certified the unstable 737 MAX using MCAS for their first aircraft EVER? and it failed twice.
Because Airbus has had only four or so crashes because of MCAS and then there's AA flight 587 Nov 12, 2001 when an Airbus failed composite stabilizer which had been repaired at the factory after failing production quality checks and then flight tested and sold into revenue service.

" the aircraft hit wake turbulence from the JAL flight in front of it at 9:15:36. In response to a new wave of turbulence, Molin alternated between moving the rudder from the right to the left and back again in quick succession from 9:15:52, causing sideslip until the lateral force caused composite lugs that attached the vertical stabilizer to fail"
Those all sound like exactly what happened to the sub.
Not following best practices and ignoring warning signs.... all human error.

How often do aluminum frames crack/break?

I know it's not exactly the same, but I shoot carbon arrows. They can take some very abusive chit and still shoot fine.
This video is cool, but it turns into an ad. Just stop watching after the shooting.

All I know about Nireeka are the comments in EBR's brand forums.
-One guy bought two, received then and the frame cracked on one the first time he sat on it.
-Another guy had been waiting for two years as of last December.
Dear God.

I vetted your post, and you are entirely correct-- a guy did post about that in 2022. Never saw that one.

Do you guys have any idea how long I spent-- in 2021, before that happened-- trolling posts all over the Internet trying to confirm my obsession that I had to have a Homie? I know some of you think it's ugly, but I thought-- way back then, when I was on the pretty side of 65-- that it was beautiful and I had to have one. I imagined myself as transforming into some kind of science fiction dream warrior riding this exotic... oh, forget it, it's too embarrassing to remember.

Months of agonizing, my finger hovering over the 'buy' button, trying to absorb technical information way above my pay grade about CF loading in asymmetrical frames, asking you guys questions about many different other bikes and components. The Motobecane-- the only serious competitor in my brain, the only other bike in my price range for my use-case scenario-- kept looking better and better, slowly gaining on the Homie. Finally, after months of agonizing, the Moto's sheer practicality for learning eMTB and its functionality, the known track record of its components and design, made it the only reasonable choice. But in my buying decision process, the Moto really only won by a nose.

And 1,400 miles later, on a good day, when my symptoms are near remission and I'm really rocking that thing, I love the feeling it gives me-- it can go just about anywhere any other eMTB can go, at least within my skill level. The only thing that stops me from taking any trail is my own limitations, not the bike's.

I wonder what would have happened to the Homie if I'd flipped it-- like I flipped Seeker-- that night on that unmarked trail above the reservoir.

I know I say this all the time, but... I am so grateful I found this place. One critical characteristic of the best forums, the ones I stick with? They're the online places where you find people who help stop you from doing something stupid that you'll regret. Very grateful.

I've been running the same set of CF bars for 7 years , EVERY time I read a thread about CF fragility I go out and inspect them....convinced that one day they're going to go catastrophic at the worst possible moment.

Meanwhile, in reality - my carbon levo sl came back from the shop on Tuesday with a loose upper shock mount. I have a fancy torque wrench specifically for checking that mount , because it's a seemingly flimsy flange of carbon and 10.2 nm seems awfully specific. Yet I've stripped countless alloy threads over the years without thinking twice. Busted my fair share of metal as well - an old raleigh steel chainstay snapped landing from a jump , as well as the steel bolt holding the footpegs of my honda xl 175 motorbike. In fact, the shock bolt I snapped landing my 750 cc honda off a jump was made of steel as well. Had plenty of alloy parts develop stress fractures - decades of doing silly things in remote parts of Australia on inappropriate motorbikes.....lets just say I don't trust metals.

My sailboat is built from 40 year old composites . Mostly the weaker fibreglass ones, and admittedly some of the epoxy is suffering from UV degredation. The hull integrity was the last thing on my mind as I punched into a gale last week - my mast is alloy and definitely the weak point

The photos of Titan shards are on the news. The titanium end ring looked about 1/15 as thick as the diameter. The white, presumably C/F shell, looked about 1/500 as thick as the diameter. What was Mr. Rush thinking?

Back