Is anybody using eco mode (lowest assist level) on your usual bike ride? What is your usual assist level?

Assist level

• Total voters
Funny pedal assist story today...

I was on a long-ish tour, and stopped late in the ride because I felt I was dragging and I had brought along this wrap with creme cheese, cashew butter, and homemade raspberry jam. So after inhaling the wrap I got on the bike and it was like I had sprouted wings. Then I looked down at the display and noticed that I had inadvertently boosted the pedal assist. But the wrap was still good and I finished the tour.

Over 3,000 miles with the Yamaha motor. This bike has a 3 settings; Eco, Normal and power.
80-90% in eco
10-20% in Normal (Hills, headwinds or when I feel lazy)
00% in Power (Tested it a couple times but never felt the need for it)

Magnum bike, Samsung/Panasonic battery. 6 levels. My rides tend to be on the short side. 7-15 miles. Since I'm out for fun mostly, not battery conservation, I ride in the 2 to 3 range mostly. And then once in a while to get up to 5 or 6 when I want to just let it fly.

Mostly Eco. I use Power on the Yamaha PW motor when I'm climbing something steep and I don't feel like pushing. Also when going to work. Whenever I have the time and I feel like pushing, I switch to Eco. Sometimes, I turn off the motor. Depends on how much time I've got.

I only change boost levels a fraction of the amount I shift gears, but am active with both hands. Start climbing a grade, I will bump up the boost first, then drop a gear or two as an example. Level ground and I'm feeling good, then it's in Eco. Eco and tour about 80% of the time.

I use eco mode when I ride with non-ebike roadies. It sets my output at a perfect level to stay in pace at an average of 17mph. I get about 72 miles per charge in eco.

My answer would have to be . . . that depends. Both of my current bikes are Bosch. One's a class 3 and the other class 1 (the more powerful class 1). If I'm reading the heavier class 1 bike, I'm more likely to use tour mode. The extra weight makes that bike feel pretty dead in eco mode. On both bikes, I rarely use modes above tour. The lighter weight class 3 bike is much more fun and responsive than the class 1.

Just over 4000 miles on my Bosch CX (chipped) for commuting. Most of the time I am in Tour mode, which allows me to cruise around 22-25mph on the flats. I only go into Sport mode up some hills or when I want to really crank (> 30mph) but having only the 400Wh battery pack I need to be careful or I won't be able to make my 18 mile commute. I hardly ever use the Turbo mode because I don't feel much of a difference from Sport.
I could easily reach maybe 40-50+ miles if I stayed in Tour or Eco and went slow. This is based on rides with friends on regular bikes when I don't go my usual pace. But I bought this bike to speed up my commute while still getting a good workout.

Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S (Eco, 1, 2, 3, Sport): 75% of my ~2000 miles has been in Eco, partly for exercise and partly for range management, mostly at 16-18 mph. I use 1 when I want to go 20-22mph, or need to catch my breath. I've been enjoying 2 and 3 a great deal lately but that's for fun, not for commuting/errands etc. which is where most of my miles stack up. Sport mode very occasionally.

I actually use Pas as a second transmission, interchanging with the gears in no predictable order.

Lets see.. which is good right now on this slight upgrade...seventh gear with Pas 3 or sixth with Pas 2? The Pas 3 lets the higher gear be pushed, but the easy pedalling lower gear will get there just as well...ah, choices, choices!

A fun dilemma.

There is also an issue of safety and trail regulations.
This is going to get tricky in the future. Ebikes are much faster than standard bicycles so the possibility of more serious injuries, especially to pedestrians and standard bike riders is a danger.

On my daily commute I'm overtaken by the occasional ebike and more often by road bikes. I have found my fellow ebike riders are far more considerate of other bike path users. The road bike riders are typically drafting together and riding like knobs in an effort to maintain their speed.

Back