Is a class 3 ebike adjusted to go only 20 mph class 2?

Class 3 is allowed on the streets where I am, so my only concern would be with mountain biking trails, where they may be more sticklers on the class rating or even forbid e-bikes altogether. That would be a much bigger concern if I were to decide to purchase a new mountain e-bike as I wouldn't want to spend thousands of $ on something that may be restricted from the trails.

Yes if all Ebikes are banned on trails I have to assume somebody on the local council hates them.

UxfmRXaXLHdLEhZ-800x450-noPad.jpg

Technophobia is real

BY7IK5PHOFO2ONZNLE2SMWGW2A.jpg

Last edited:
To answer the original poster's question, Yes, I think it is fine to buy an e bike where top speed can be changed, so that it can be set at 20 ((class 2) and use it on a trail limited to class 2, notwithstanding that it can be programmed to a higher speed. The fact that it can be unlocked to a higher speed, making it class 3 is irrelevant. The purpose of the law is to limit speed on a path or trail so the assisted/powered speed does not exceed 20. Some trials or paths have additional restrictions, such as you cannot use throttle. This does not mean I cannot ride if my bike has a throttle. It just means I cannot use the throttle on the trail and must pedal. I am fairly certain this is enforced by observing someone speed down the trail on level or uphill ground without pedaling. Some paths or trails may have additional speed limits. The path closest to my house has a speed limit of 15. In my enlightened State, MD, state law says e bikes are to be treated like other bikes as long as they do not exceed 750 hp. (Classes 1, 2, and 3 are allowed). However, local jurisdictions are allowed to impose more restrictive conditions on off road trails or paths. Federal parks have changed regulations to allow e bikes in the same places as other bikes with some exceptions. Hence my son and I ride our class 2/3 bikes on the bike path, at speeds not to exceed 15 mph, without throttle and this is legal in my professional opinion. Your state laws may be different.

A year or two ago I had a park ranger ask me what class my bike was. That is what has made me start researching this issue. I mention that I am from Phoenix so that I might get responses that apply to my circumstance. I personally never ride over 10 mph when people are ever near me. I usually go very slow and quietly on park trails, typically under 14 mph. You do have to honor laws that protect others. It's just long lonely tracks where a little extra speed would help to get to those parks sooner. Or, as in my case being by mountains where more low end would really help. South mountain has 16,283 acres that I could live by....

To answer the original poster's question, Yes, I think it is fine to buy an e bike where top speed can be changed, so that it can be set at 20 ((class 2) and use it on a trail limited to class 2, notwithstanding that it can be programmed to a higher speed. The fact that it can be unlocked to a higher speed, making it class 3 is irrelevant. The purpose of the law is to limit speed on a path or trail so the assisted/powered speed does not exceed 20. Some trials or paths have additional restrictions, such as you cannot use throttle. This does not mean I cannot ride if my bike has a throttle. It just means I cannot use the throttle on the trail and must pedal. I am fairly certain this is enforced by observing someone speed down the trail on level or uphill ground without pedaling. Some paths or trails may have additional speed limits. The path closest to my house has a speed limit of 15. In my enlightened State, MD, state law says e bikes are to be treated like other bikes as long as they do not exceed 750 hp. (Classes 1, 2, and 3 are allowed). However, local jurisdictions are allowed to impose more restrictive conditions on off road trails or paths. Federal parks have changed regulations to allow e bikes in the same places as other bikes with some exceptions. Hence my son and I ride our class 2/3 bikes on the bike path, at speeds not to exceed 15 mph, without throttle and this is legal in my professional opinion. Your state laws may be different.
The 3 class law only applies to on road not off road in every state that adopted it. There are only 2 rail trails on state land that allow class 1 ebikes in the state of Maryland. I ride them often. I'm not trying to argue your sentiments, as I don't disagree with the spirit of what you said. I just thought you'd want to know.

The 3 class law only applies to on road not off road in every state that adopted it. There are only 2 rail trails on state land that allow class 1 ebikes in the state of Maryland. I ride them often. I'm not trying to argue your sentiments, as I don't disagree with the spirit of what you said. I just thought you'd want to know.

Yes. Local laws change from trail to trail. For a while York county in PA banned all ebikes. Likewise NYC first banned all ebikes, now they even allow throttles ...

Thanks. You are right about State parks in MD. But my County, Montgomery County has different rules for hiker biker trails since 2019. E bikes and motorized scooters are now allowed on my County hiker biker trails. You are also correct about limitation to class 1 rather than class 2. Sign at hiker biker trail just says speed limit 15 and no throttle.

Yes. Local laws change from trail to trail. For a while York county in PA banned all ebikes. Likewise NYC first banned all ebikes, now they even allow throttles ...
York Co is the county we worked to change.

Attaching a chart summarizing state e by laws. I also looked at Arizona statute for definition of each class of e bike. Difference between class two and three based on top speed of assistance of motor. Local jurisdictions can be more restrictive.

Attachments

• State-by-State eBike Chart.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 534
Attaching a chart summarizing state e by laws. I also looked at Arizona statute for definition of each class of e bike. Difference between class two and three based on top speed of assistance of motor. Local jurisdictions can be more restrictive.

Thank you for this. Just noticed a new labeling law applicable to Arizona. That ends me buying a class 3 bike. Better to find out this way than to find out you can't take your new bike to the park.

mjorg, off topic, so I'll be brief. As somebody that spends a lot of time in a rolling coastal area, I can sympathize with the need for climbing hills on occasion. I just wanted to share that there ARE ways of having an incredible amount of hill topping torque on hand, installed on a bike whose wheel won't turn more than 20mph when lifted of the ground (no load). That speed limit is done electronically, and with an aftermarket controller that hasn't been locked down by an OEM (for legal reasons) you can set that max number to any speed you want. The hope is that this power and set up capability is used responsibly....

Point being, an illegal bike can be made legal very easily......

mjorg, off topic, so I'll be brief. As somebody that spends a lot of time in a rolling coastal area, I can sympathize with the need for climbing hills on occasion. I just wanted to share that there ARE ways of having an incredible amount of hill topping torque on hand, installed on a bike whose wheel won't turn more than 20mph when lifted of the ground (no load). That speed limit is done electronically, and with an aftermarket controller that hasn't been locked down by an OEM (for legal reasons) you can set that max number to any speed you want. The hope is that this power and set up capability is used responsibly....

Point being, an illegal bike can be made legal very easily......

AHicks: The electric bike I have now was sold to me as class 2. I looked at the manual and learned how to program it. Now my bike has a top speed of 24 mph. When I first did it I got 25 mph out of it. But it's getting old. I'm pretty sure most bikes up until very recent times could be altered this way. A major manufacturer told me that their class 3 bike could be adjusted to class 2. Your fix comes to play if now they are "locking down" the computers, and it's good advice that I appreciate. But, I think as brands become known by name, officials will know on sight what class they are. So using an aftermarket controller on a "known" model might not work. They won't believe it. I really would like class 3 for the reasons we discuss. But, I also plan on vacationing in California with my ebike and they might enforce the rules with vigor. So maybe better safe than sorry?

True... not really worth it if you are concerned about enforcement. And a class 3 usually won't climb hills any better than a class 1. That is more about gearing than motor cut off. So you only gain a few mph at the top end...but you do avoid that "stuck in quicksand" effect of going beyond 20mph. And yes, people do delimit their class1 bikes after the warranty is up.

By locked down, I meant there was a restriction on the available settings. Much like the one that allowed you only 24/25mph. Not locked down would allow ANY number to be used there.

You don't need a class 3 to get more hill climbing ability. You need more power. Actually, the bike you have, if not locked down by the mfg. COULD be a class 3 bike.

If not into doing modifications, and you want to climb bigger hills more easily, you might look into a mid drive bike with a 750w motor. That should handle about anything shy of a steep mountain trail and may still qualify as a class 2.

Back