Is 20 mph too slow?

Add me to the list -- my pedelec is rated to 28, but I find my average trip speed is often below 20. On a longer (paved trail) run (while I'm working on getting more fit) I'll average 13-15, with as little assist as I can tolerate. I have taken it to level 5 assist and hit 28, and it is honestly, a bit nerve-wracking! I can see where I'd be glad to have it in certain conditions, but I can't honestly say I ever foresee flat out riding, consistently at 28, unless I was perhaps on a closed, paved track and was say, experimenting on how quickly it would kill the battery charge ;)
I worked up gradually to riding 28-30. I don't really need to go that fast very often and at first, never having ridden a bike consistently at that speed, I needed to adjust to it.

I still do it seldom -- down hill just for the rush, or when trying to beat a stop light, or on a busy 4-lane when I want to just get the hell off onto a quieter street. But man when I put the CCS in Sport mode and get that big push -- it's noticeably higher than the boost from the next level down -- it's an awesome feeling. I still ride mostly in the 15-18 mph range but it's great to have the option!

I think 20 on urban streets is plenty fast enough.
Matter of opinion. It's fast enough for me, except when it isn't. There are a lot of folks on speed pedelecs precisely because of the higher speed. Cuts significant time off the commute, is one of the big reasons. Saving, say, half an hour each way is nothing to sneeze at.

For a trail bike 20 is plenty although I would not like the motor to cut out abruptly at that speed and my controller is set for 25 mph, but rarely if ever sees that. 21-22 on the way to the trailhead and passing road bikes is fun on a mtb with 15psi in the tires however.

But for a road bike the ability to cruise in the 20's is key. I use my e road bikes as motorcycle replacements because I find the balance between speed and my ability to pedal more fun. Range always plays a factor though dependent on the ride planned.

There is a movement called "Vision 20" here in the PDX that is moving to set the speed limit on most surface streets to that number. When it finally takes effect it will make getting around on a bike here all that much more inviting.

I guess a perfect motor would be something around 500 - 750 watts, with 28 mph max speed and still being able to last long rides like 50 - 70 miles. But that seems like a dream.

I just fear that Im spoiled now with a 750W motor and not going to like anything below that.

Matter of opinion. It's fast enough for me, except when it isn't. There are a lot of folks on speed pedelecs precisely because of the higher speed. Cuts significant time off the commute, is one of the big reasons. Saving, say, half an hour each way is nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, it's a matter of opinion, that was mine. I often go over 30 but it wouldn't be a deal breaker, if I was limited to 20.

With big hills 20 mph will probably be acceptable. But with lots of flats or mixed terrain, the extra speed is worth it...

Or lots of start/stop 20 mph is probably acceptable. Similar to what I posted for 2017, I have 13 commutes between the R&M (Class 3) and the Haibike Trekking (Class 1). Haibike is 8 days, average 34.4 miles per commute and average time of 2 hours 14 minutes. R&M is 5 days average 34.7 miles per commute and average time of 2 hours and 12 minutes. Just rough averages of averages taken. I guess if I could dongle the CX motor easily without messing up the mileage and mph I would probably go for it. The best of both worlds would be the ability to use the CX motor to 23-25 mph. High torque combined with a bit higher speed is the way I see to improve those times when the commute is a lot of start/stop, residential and bike lane riding.

What bike do you have that goes 30+?

how do you "dongle" a bike?

There are a few active threads going about this. Bikespeed RS for example.Badass Box for another example. I was about sold on purchasing a dongle until I found out it will probably lead to a misstatement of my mileage not to mention maybe some warranty issues. Maybe when my Bosch system is no longer under warranty I'll reconsider ...

With this thread in mind, and the fact it is bike to work week, I paid a little closer attention than usual to my stats the last few days. Nothing scientific just a few changes of pace with a steady effort on the pedals at a 100+\- cadence in the appropriate gear. These represent a round trip and today’s ride in.

82D0E1F6-B058-4629-8A95-C41E97241F17.jpeg

0E18BCCD-9ADA-48E0-A464-12A7DC446FF4.jpeg

I find my comfort speed to be in the 23-24mpg range in general and also the most efficient wh wise.

There is one bridge I have to cross and the right hand lane is a dedicated bike lane. The other option is a side walk that usually has foot traffic enough that it is slow to use. Going up from both sides I am willing to sacrifice wh’s for safety sake and do that same speed.

The top speeds are from descending the bridge and are gravity assisted. Quite frankly going that fast on push bike rated components is plenty.

I have a 28mph Trek XM700 which I ride for enjoyment only, no commuting. I’ve put 3500 miles on it in the past twelve months.

My normal ride is 20 - 30 miles, mix of paved roads, paved bike paths, stone dust paths and hard dirt trails, often all on the same ride. Occasional longer touring style riding, maybe 50 to 60 miles in a day. Nothing technical, but lots of hills, some of them pretty good ones in the Adirondacks.

I find that I hardly ever go over 20mph, but would love to have a little more climbing power. I’d swap out my Performance Speed motor for a Performance CX in a heartbeat if it were feasible, for the added climbing torque.

It’s a lot of fun wheeling along at 23 or 24 mph, at the end of a longish ride, but it ain’t necessary, for me at least. Plus, that time going faster just kills your battery range as well.

Absolutely love this bike, but the extra speed has nothing to do with it, for me at least.
Hey Dave. If it’s not “necessary” why do it? Maybe because it’s “fun”?!
All good feelings toward you bro.

I think it is funny.... and telling that everyone wants to go over 20 mph LOL.

Go ahead everybody let me have it ....
Especially you my friend Rich “ “

We are all human, we want to go fast. we want to test the limits that is our nature. We would have never gone to the moon without that type of spirit. I am so happy I am riding a bicycle again.

I'll throw in from the flatlands of kansas. My reasoning for a 28 mph bosch:

I need the exercise.

As soon as exercise becomes just another chore I have to do I'm gonna quit doing it.

There are a lot of areas that are just the sections you need to get through to get to where you ENJOY riding a bike. Kansas in summer is not very hospitable when you are in full sun and a lot of the bike paths within the city limits are wide open flat and windy. Not really inspiring or motivational enough to look forward to riding totally human powered bike.

But, getting through these areas without killing myself to get to the next park or tree lined street or attraction is a fair trade. I haven't actually gotten to 28mph, but I have regularly gotten over 20 steady. Just knowing that I am not slogging through the boring sections at my old manual pace is enough to make the ride tolerable, but knowing that I am absolutely crushing my old pace puts a grin on my face.

Some day, if I ride my ebike enough, I may be able to get back on my pedal bike and have a decent enough pace for an entertaining ride. Some day. Maybe.

tldr: If you have places you just want to get through get the faster bike.

Hey, Joe, where you going with that gun... oh, never mind, that's another guy.

The more I contemplate that rotten hill on Upper Newtown Road near here, the more fun goes out the window and survival raises it's head! On certain days it's "My Kingdom for the CX motor". And to think, I used to roar up stuff a lot tougher than that on my old Cannondale back in the day... oh, the humanity!!

I'm limited to Class II 20 mph; but, I have reached 24-25 mph on some down hill runs if I pedal like a hamster in an exercise wheel. I looked at my average speed to/from work and it is about 15-17 mph. It is all the stop lights, afternoon rush hour, and neighborhood speed bumps slowing me down usually. I've had a few close calls with distracted drivers and 20-0 mph stops are so much quicker compared to 28-0 mph in the same situations. I know I would have hit the vehicle if I had a class III at +25 mph trying to do an emergency stop.

Interesting that not one single poster addresses stopping distance and panic stop performance. Do you know how fast you can stop at 30MPH? I do, and I dropped back on the speeds I ride based on the braking distance of the bike. Consider getting a friend and set up a MSF style field and test your ride. Many local colleges or community colleges have Motorcycle Safety Foundation tracks setup. Speed sucks if we can't stop.

I think it is funny.... and telling that everyone wants to go over 20 mph LOL...

For me personally I just want to go normal bike speed. Say a 23 mph cruising speed would be nice. The irony of the 20 mph cutoff is that it makes my e-bike slower than my human powered bike (but of course I can ride my e-bike longer/farther). I can regularly hit 21-23 mph on my normal bike but can't do so with the Bosch CX unless I'm headed downhill. And I certainly couldn't compete with the road biker who smoked me whilst coming home on my commute last night. But I'm not complaining. I still love commuting on the 20 mph limited Haibike. The power from the stop keeps me content and offsets the lack of top end speed.

My 2 cents-Most of my city riding on flats consist of 21-23mph avg speed in the 2nd to highest assist level is truly my comfort zone. The rear hub motor responds well at those speeds and seems to be my chosen speed 95% of the time without many stops on long starights. My range is less, however, I am willing to make that sacrifice for a faster commute or joy ride IMHO.

Back