Intro/Level Commuter - Hard-wire lights?

mikesarge

Region
USA
Hi all-

I've been commuting on my Level for most of a year, and I've put hundreds of miles on it. It's not as refined as the specialized I was borrowing before, but it's a good bike and it's pretty comfortable and quick. My only other gripe, was that for a commuter it sure comes with a lot of quick-releases! I swapped those with pinhead locking nuts on the axles, and an allen for the seat post that I filled with solder, as well as a custom bike-chain based locking system for my brooks saddle.

Anyway, I've done a great deal of research, and a fair amount of disassembling my Aventon Level commuter. I can't find any definitively easy way to add hard-wired headlights to this thing. It would be nice to not have to remove my lights whenever I lock up, or remember to charge them separately.

Also, I discovered that a long-push of the "up" button activates a headlight icon on the display, and increases the backlight intensity, which leads me to believe this controller is capable of activating a headlight, but the only extra plug (a flat 4-wire connector) does not have any labels and I'm reluctant to do too much with that without confirming the full controller pin-out.

I've tried to find a new 1T5 connector (as opposed to the 1T4 currently on it) but all of the receptacles on the existing 1T4 are female, and the brakes are a 2-pin, and the 1T5s I've found online have a 3-pin male brake lever sensor wires. It's just proprietary enough to make this a pain!

Has anyone either upgraded the controller on their Aventon, or made some wiring changes to add a headlight, like the Aventure has?

Last edited:
Hi all-

I've been commuting on my Level for most of a year, and I've put hundreds of miles on it. It's not as refined as the specialized I was borrowing before, but it's a good bike and it's pretty comfortable and quick. My only other gripe, was that for a commuter it sure comes with a lot of quick-releases! I swapped those with pinhead locking nuts on the axles, and an allen for the seat post that I filled with solder, as well as a custom bike-chain based locking system for my brooks saddle.

Anyway, I've done a great deal of research, and a fair amount of disassembling my Aventon Level commuter. I can't find any definitively easy way to add hard-wired headlights to this thing. It would be nice to not have to remove my lights whenever I lock up, or remember to charge them separately.

Also, I discovered that a long-push of the "up" button activates a headlight icon on the display, and increases the backlight intensity, which leads me to believe this controller is capable of activating a headlight, but the only extra plug (a flat 4-wire connector) does not have any labels and I'm reluctant to do too much with that without confirming the full controller pin-out.

I've tried to find a new 1T5 connector (as opposed to the 1T4 currently on it) but all of the receptacles on the existing 1T4 are female, and the brakes are a 2-pin, and the 1T5s I've found online have a 3-pin male brake lever sensor wires. It's just proprietary enough to make this a pain!

Has anyone either upgraded the controller on their Aventon, or made some wiring changes to add a headlight, like the Aventure has?
I "hard wired" some LED motorcycle lights on my Rad. In the end, I found it easier to wire into a seperate battery that I strapped onto the bike. A power bank kind of battery with a 12v output makes it easy.

Hello,

I went through a similar issue with a golf cart that I have. Cart voltage is 48 volts and many of the accessories are of the 12 volt variety. I added a voltage reducer the manage the 12volt accessories like headlights, radio, etc.

So, you will need to find a reducer that can then tap into the +/- of the 48 volt system. It can be done, just need to find the most efficient method.

Z

Hello,

I went through a similar issue with a golf cart that I have. Cart voltage is 48 volts and many of the accessories are of the 12 volt variety. I added a voltage reducer the manage the 12volt accessories like headlights, radio, etc.

So, you will need to find a reducer that can then tap into the +/- of the 48 volt system. It can be done, just need to find the most efficient method.

Z
I did run the LED light plug directly to my 48v eBike battery (Rad) and it worked just fine, but it just does not seem like a great idea, so the separate little battery pack works great, and I'm able to run other stuff off it!

Hi Mikesarge, I’ve been looking to do this too and was thinking about running x4 12v LED strips in parallel with a switch from the battery. Just need to figure out how to add an xt60 connector to the controller/battery.

Back