Inexpensive alternative for a repair stand

TJ Seaman

If you have a garage then consider a bicycle hoist instead. Get one rated for 100lbs and securely attach in to your rafters with a 2x4. I have been using this setup for years to work on my bikes and recumbent and also easy storage for winter. They can be found on Amazon and many other sources for $20 OR LESS. Avoid Harbor freight models as it is only rated for 44lbs. You can use the lift to raise your bike to any height you choose. As a safety precaution (not really necessary) I zip tie the hooks to the bike to avoid the hook slipping off (has never happened - lol).

I made some 8"x2" donuts from scrap packing foam (any of the stiffer varieties). You slide one over each handlebar grip, and you can flip the bike over on it's back without hurting a thing. Can't get much simpler than that!

I made some 8"x2" donuts from scrap packing foam (any of the stiffer varieties). You slide one over each handlebar grip, and you can flip the bike over on it's back without hurting a thing. Can't get much simpler than that!
Nice idea if you choose to only work on your bike inverted. Quite a bit more limitations though if you need to do a brake bleed, etc.

'Prolly tough to change a seat or the handlebars while inverted too.

For bleeding brakes (not likely an issue here as mine are mech.) I might be tempted to set the bike on top of the work bench....

'Prolly tough to change a seat or the handlebars while inverted too.

For bleeding brakes (not likely an issue here as mine are mech.) I might be tempted to set the bike on top of the work bench....
Great. You are good to go. I just recently did a bleed for the 1st time and it was imperative that I had it in an upright bike stand. Live and learn. ;)

Back