Indecision

JoeinJP

About to buy my first ebike, and was about to choose Evelo Aurora (with the Memorial Day sale). I'm leaning that way because of the NuVinci drive, but am I overestimating the problem with gear mashing with Shimano gears if using pedal-assist?
Purpose of bike: Used to ride a lot more in my younger days, have a Trek 7.2FX but want an ebike for a 4 mile commute each way, combination of a bikepath and street traffic in Boston neighborhoods, a couple minor hills. I'm about 240, 5'11, and often walk the 4 miles to work during the summer but an ebike will get me to use it daily.
Price range: $2800 max (which is Aurora w/ NuVinci and 500w motor, with the sale.)

Court's reviews were very helpful, but it sounds like
1) is Evelo's motor a bit noisy? Or was this just with the 2013 models?
2) if not upgrading to NuVinci, would there be gear mashing using the throttle, or would that only happen with pedal-assist?
3) Are they better alternatives at a bit lower cost, or are there other ebikes with NuVinci? Evelo bikes do appear a bit "clumpy," but style isn't the first priority.
4) When's the best time to buy, when do dealers move their merchandise? Since I may pass on the Evelo $150 discount and not rush my decision now.
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Good idea to not rush. I was almost sold on several different e-bikes before I ended up with the one I got. I honestly don't think their sale is much of a discount.

Go do test rides. This is difficult in some areas, but you can find e-bikes in unexpected places like REI, and Performance.

Let the "sale" go. Discounts are always available.

If I were going to spend in the $2200 range today I would choose the e-Joe Koda without hesitation. The Koda is one of the best buys in ebikes right now and Court rates it 10/10. For the $3000 range you can't go wrong choosing an Easy Motion bike. No chance of gear mashing with a rear hub and both e-Joe and Easy Motion offer throttle with PAS.

Good luck and welcome to the community! Keep us up to date on how it's going.

Court's written review here.

About to buy my first ebike, and was about to choose Evelo Aurora (with the Memorial Day sale). I'm leaning that way because of the NuVinci drive, but am I overestimating the problem with gear mashing with Shimano gears if using pedal-assist?
Purpose of bike: Used to ride a lot more in my younger days, have a Trek 7.2FX but want an ebike for a 4 mile commute each way, combination of a bikepath and street traffic in Boston neighborhoods, a couple minor hills. I'm about 240, 5'11, and often walk the 4 miles to work during the summer but an ebike will get me to use it daily.
Price range: $2800 max (which is Aurora w/ NuVinci and 500w motor, with the sale.)

Court's reviews were very helpful, but it sounds like
1) is Evelo's motor a bit noisy? Or was this just with the 2013 models?
2) if not upgrading to NuVinci, would there be gear mashing using the throttle, or would that only happen with pedal-assist?
3) Are they better alternatives at a bit lower cost, or are there other ebikes with NuVinci? Evelo bikes do appear a bit "clumpy," but style isn't the first priority.
4) When's the best time to buy, when do dealers move their merchandise? Since I may pass on the Evelo $150 discount and not rush my decision now.
Thanks for any advice.

D
If I were going to spend in the $2200 range today I would choose the e-Joe Koda without hesitation. The Koda is one of the best buys in ebikes right now and Court rates it 10/10. For the $3000 range you can't go wrong choosing an Easy Motion bike. No chance of gear mashing with a rear hub and both e-Joe and Easy Motion offer throttle with PAS.

Good luck and welcome to the community! Keep us up to date on how it's going.

Court's written review here.

Ditto!

Pulled the trigger :)! It came down the the Pedego City Commuter or eProdigy Jasper, the main difference is rear geared hub vs midddrive, (which I was preferring), but slightly better BB7 breaks on the CC vs Tektro on the Jasper, among a few other differences. The overriding factor was being able to test ride the City Commuter with a LBS, whereas eProdigy has none, which I did today. I was happy with it, went 7 miles before I realized and didn't notice any hills. Only tested the throttle, was using PAS4 at certain times, otherwise mainly at level 2-3. But ebikes sure are heavy, this one about 60lbs with battery, which is located on a back rack. This made my decision for me, a step-thru! 48v/10ah, 500 watt motor is more than enough for me. Now I can put away all o_O my spreadsheets!

Pulled the trigger :)! It came down the the Pedego City Commuter or eProdigy Jasper, the main difference is rear geared hub vs midddrive, (which I was preferring), but slightly better BB7 breaks on the CC vs Tektro on the Jasper, among a few other differences. The overriding factor was being able to test ride the City Commuter with a LBS, whereas eProdigy has none, which I did today. I was happy with it, went 7 miles before I realized and didn't notice any hills. Only tested the throttle, was using PAS4 at certain times, otherwise mainly at level 2-3. But ebikes sure are heavy, this one about 60lbs with battery, which is located on a back rack. This made my decision for me, a step-thru! 48v/10ah, 500 watt motor is more than enough for me. Now I can put away all o_O my spreadsheets!

Good luck with your new toy! May want to consider removing that rear battery when loading on your bike rack.

Read the manual carefully, esp the part on how to maintain the battery. http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Master-Manual.pdf

It's so nice when indecision turns to a solid direction! Enjoy your ride and be safe out there.

Enjoy your bike, and don't forget to report on it.:)

I guess I'm the only one left here belonging to the indecision club.:confused:

Just remember 'Buy the best, and you'll never be dissatisfied"! Wish my wallet would let me follow this advise...lol

Peters Hill, Aboretum.jpg Bussey Hill, Aboretum.jpg First ride around the area, these are the two top hills of the Arnold Arboretum. Boston (Copley Square, etc) about 5 miles northeast in the first backdrop from Peters Hill, a bit of the Blue Hills in Milton to the south are visible from Bussey Hill. An 11 mile ride as my maiden non-commuting ride, and PAS 2-3 was fine for all of it, took a leisurely hour or so, and I was back home before realizing it!

I have just placed my deposit on a Step-Thru Interceptor with 48v-15amp Black on Black. I am 73 and weigh 215lbs- 6' and disabled due to heart and diabetes which resulted in my losing my Drivers License (long story) I am now working part-time at Walmart and want to commute to work about 8 miles one way with a couple of hills (15% grade-1/4 mile long) I am now riding (not commuting) a 3spd bike with difficulty on smaller hills. From all I have read and seen the E route is the one for me. My nearest Pedego dealer is 150 miles away in Arlington Va. We do have several qualified bike shops here locally. I hope to take possession of my bike this July. Question? Other than the basic biuke what other options should I consider that I could order ahead of time from my dealer or I should purchase for my bike for safety-maintenance-clothing and enjoyment. Any help is welcomed
Page

Hi Page, glad to meet you. I am probably not the one that sould answer you. But others will reply to you better.
I do not wear anything special when I ride, just my regular clothes. Maybe you should get a rain suit, I put fenders on my bike , to keep the wet streak off my back.
I guess a patch kit, and some way to air the tire back up. 8 miles away from home is a long push. Even for a person in good shape, not to mention old disabled dudes like us!
A head and tail light would be a good thing to have too.
If you have to ride the highways a lot, a reflective vest or something like that. You have to make yourself as visible to these car drivers as possible ! Keep looking up! Ken.

well, a good number of items ken mentions come on the interceptor, including fenders, tail light and headlight. i got a cateye, handlebar-tip mirror for my I-3 and love it. Needed a basket, so i went the old-skool way with a folding wire side-mounted item from wald. all from amazon.

Back