I'm hooked! Searching for my first ebike

kevintari

I just tried out a Scott Strike in Park City, it was awesome. I loved the style, the speed, the heft, the range, the one-finger hydraulic brakes. It was fast and felt like it could conquer any terrain. However, the $4,000+ price point is a bit out of my range, I'm more around the $1,500 mark.

Here are some models I like so far:

-Sondors MXS
-Espin Sport (probably my least favorite from a looks standpoint)
-NAKTO 500W (this one makes me a little wary, seems like it might be cheaply made and the geometry isn't the best)
-Himiway Cruiser
-R1U 700 series (the top contender right now, checks the most boxes)
-RadRover 5 (probably my favorite style-wise)
-Aventon Level Commuter (like that it's only 19 days out from shipping!)
-Olic Tank Mountain (anyone know these bikes?)
-Civi Bikes Predator

I definitely like the mountain bike look, want a range of at least 30 miles (pedal + electric, but not necessarily on level 1 the entire time), like something a little faster, like the front suspension fork. Is there a big difference between hydraulic and mechanical brakes? I'm thinking yes with the weight of these things. Don't care a bout a rack. Basically, as close as I can get to the Scott for my budget.

I hate that everything is so delayed! If I could find one available now or reasonably soon, I'd probably compromise a little.

Thoughts? Thanks!

you should also look into wingbikes. I discovered them recently. They actually have bikes in stock right now!

Thoughts? Once you ride a high end eBike, you may just be disappointed if you buy an entry level internet sold bike. Those one frame size fits most can feel small to many, plus the lower end components will also have a different feel. Especially hydraulic to mechanical brakes. So with your much lower budget, there should not be a comparison drawn to the awesome feeling you had on the Scott. Just because they are all eBikes, each will have a dramatically different riding experience.

I just tried out a Scott Strike in Park City, it was awesome. I loved the style, the speed, the heft, the range, the one-finger hydraulic brakes. It was fast and felt like it could conquer any terrain. However, the $4,000+ price point is a bit out of my range, I'm more around the $1,500 mark.

Here are some models I like so far:

-Sondors MXS
-Espin Sport (probably my least favorite from a looks standpoint)
-NAKTO 500W (this one makes me a little wary, seems like it might be cheaply made and the geometry isn't the best)
-Himiway Cruiser
-RadRover 5 (probably my favorite style-wise)
-Aventon Level Commuter (like that it's only 19 days out from shipping!)
-Olic Tank Mountain (anyone know these bikes?)
-Civi Bikes Predator

I definitely like the mountain bike look, want a range of at least 30 miles (pedal + electric, but not necessarily on level 1 the entire time), like something a little faster, like the front suspension fork. Is there a big difference between hydraulic and mechanical brakes? I'm thinking yes with the weight of these things. Don't care a bout a rack. Basically, as close as I can get to the Scott for my budget.

I hate that everything is so delayed! If I could find one available now or reasonably soon, I'd probably compromise a little.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Take a look at Bolton E-Bikes. They have good products at excellent prices! https://boltonebikes.com/

Thoughts? Once you ride a high end eBike, you may just be disappointed if you buy an entry level internet sold bike. Those one frame size fits most can feel small to many, plus the lower end components will also have a different feel. Especially hydraulic to mechanical brakes. So with your much lower budget, there should not be a comparison drawn to the awesome feeling you had on the Scott. Just because they are all eBikes, each will have a dramatically different riding experience.
I'll add that you the ebike he rode had a Bosch CX mid-drive, which is in a whole different league than the hub-motor models you listed. Night and day performance-wise, especially on trails.

This is why it's so important to try to ride as many different bikes as possible before you buy! They are NOT all the same, or even similar within the same price range. So many variables, from component quality to personal preference.

But, since you've already ordered yours, certainly hope your choice works for you!

My $1200 Espin Sport has hydraulic brakes.

I also have an Espin Sport. Beautiful looking bike. My hydraulic brakes are great. They work well. No squeeking. Bike came 95 per cent assembled and in perfect condition. Rack, fender, lights included. Nice integrated battery. Suspension is nice. I bought a suspension seat post before my bike arrived but I do not really need it. PAS is smooth. You do have to be in at least PAS 1 for the throttle to work but it does work from a complete stop. What is not to like ?

The Ride1Up 700 has hydraulic brakes, and it has programmable assist power levels (setting a percentage) so you can have more control over the power to the motor and get more exercise if you want it rather than being stuck with too high of a default power level in assist level 1 as with some bikes. The gearing is pretty good - more high geared than some much more expensive bikes that would have you hamster wheeling it at higher speed. It's hub drive, so you don't get the extra wear on the chain and drive train of a mid-drive. The 2.4" tires are wider than many similar bikes, as well, for a smoother ride, without going to the extreme of fat tires. Everyone seems to be happy with their choice to buy a 700 after receive it. For $300 more, you can get a R1U LMT'D, which has a more powerful motor, an additional gear, is lighter weight, has an air fork, and has a torque sensor based PAS.

Last edited:
The Ride1Up 700 has hydraulic brakes, and it has programmable assist power levels (setting a percentage) so you can have more control over the power to the motor and get more exercise if you want it rather than being stuck with too high of a default power level in assist level 1 as with some bikes. The gearing is pretty good - more high geared than some much more expensive bikes that would have you hamster wheeling it at higher speed. It's hub drive, so you don't get the extra wear on the chain and drive train of a mid-drive. The 2.4" tires are wider than many similar bikes, as well, for a smoother ride, without going to the extreme of fat tires. Everyone seems to be happy with their choice to buy a 700 after receive it. For $300 more, you can get a R1U LMT'D, which has a more powerful motor, an additional gear, is lighter weight, has an air fork, and has a torque sensor based PAS.
Good specs if 62 pounds is okay with the rider.

Good specs if 62 pounds is okay with the rider.
OP lists Radrover 5, which is 69 pounds, and that's without the rack. The other bike I mentioned, LMT'D, is 51 pounds. The R1U 500 wasn't mentioned, but it's 53 pounds, and the Core-5 is 48 pounds. So, there are some options.

GenX needs to pull the trigger on an R1U because they rec it so much. :)
I'm a "he", not a "they". lol There is a delay in shipments, so I'm not going to bother this year due to being on the last leg of the summer riding season already, while I continue riding my standard bike a lot these final weeks of decent weather. I'm not sitting around. lol Plus, I want to see the feedback on the updated LMT'D's which have yet to ship, before deciding whether to get it or the 700. So, my goal is have an e-bike before summer 2021. The OP is wanting something "now" or "relatively" soon, so that may mean settling for something less than optimum.

Last edited:
Well... "they" is gender neutral and I can't make assumptions. :)

I'm actually looking at the Lectric XP Step more closely. I wanted a "standard" sized bike but am thinking about something fun, functional and more affordable.

Back