I'm 84, I need to buy an electric bike.

This is my first post. My doctor said go ride a bike. For my leg muscles. I'm sure an electric bike would help all around but they all look good on line and I'm sure some are junk. But, how do you tell. Perhaps some one here has already had great success buying a low end bike, and some have regrets. So, any information or suggestions would help. I live in Tallahassee in a neighborhood that has hills and flat streets where I could ride. I may be 84 but am in good health, far from senile and am very computer literate. Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Charlie

Charlie,

There's a ton of stuff out there. Court rides more than anyone else, so go to the Reviews and click 'Affordable'. Try to narrow it down a little.;) I'm sure a decent ebike would do exactly what you want. You can pedal at a constant pace.

I think any bike that is comfortable will work. You probably don't want to be sitting on it more than 90 minutes a day anyway, which would allow an 18 mile range at 12 mph with very easy peddling before the battery goes flat. Most manufacturers advertise that kind of range with no peddling on flat ground.

You probably don't care about going 20-25 mph, riding in the rain, and getting to work in 40 minutes, so that opens up the range of candidates too.

Price, and ability to move it around your garage/carport or porch probably matter. Also getting on and off. Make sure you can ride the bike home if the battery ain't working. Some of them are like exercycle trainers with no electricity. Others pedal normally.

Find out what bike stores in your area carry e-bikes and go ride one. Hope I am still riding bikes in 16 years at age 84.

This is my first post. My doctor said go ride a bike. For my leg muscles. I'm sure an electric bike would help all around but they all look good on line and I'm sure some are junk. But, how do you tell. Perhaps some one here has already had great success buying a low end bike, and some have regrets. So, any information or suggestions would help. I live in Tallahassee in a neighborhood that has hills and flat streets where I could ride. I may be 84 but am in good health, far from senile and am very computer literate. Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Charlie

Hey Charlie - 1st question is always "what's your budget". 2) is "how far do you want to be able to ride?" :)
Other than that, are you riding now? If not, how long since you've ridden regularly? Do you have balance issues at ALL?
If you've not been riding in years, you dont' really want to start going 20mph on a 5olb bike right away.
If you have any balance issues the speed will make them worse, there are trikes with E assist that can allievate those concerns (mega fun too!)

Hey charlie

I am pretty novice at all this but would definitely agree with going to some ebike shops and riding as many as possible

One easy to handle bike i own that has decent range , not super heavy and all my friends like to ride is the prodeco mariner
It is a smaller bike with 20 inch tires and folds up so you can easily put it in the trunk of a car
Pretty sure prodeco is based in florida so good chance a few shops down there have them in stock
They have a bigger one that is a step thru called a stride, think it has 26 inch tires and may be a little smoother to ride
Think this one comes folder or not folder
The mariner does not have a huge motor so if the hills are big might not be the best , but prodeco has bigger motors on some of them

And there are lots of other brands, i bet florida has quite a few ebike shops

You are going to LOVE riding an ebike, they are awesome!

Did a quick google maps search and in thomasville, ga there is an electric bike rental place....
Looks like it is 30 miles away
Might be something to check out, maybe call and see what brands they have..

I own an $8,000 Stromer ST2 and a $12,000 Stealth Bomber (the baddest production e-bike ever made). I have tried a GREAT many bikes on the market, so you may be surprised to learn that I consider the JUICED RIDER to be the best all around ebikes that I know of. I own one, and even purchased one for my mother recently. I have grown to love the details of these bike more and more.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Charlie
Hi Charlie,
I don't know if you've bought an ebike yet. If not yet, I suggest you go to www.facebook.com/voltbikes (this dealer is in Bristish Columbia, Canada) to have a look and see the reviews for yourself. I'm not a dealer, not a friend with the dealer. I just bought a Voltbike Urban from there a few months ago through online, and I like it very much. I chose the Urban because it's foldable (to become quite small) and light. I can put it in to my car's trunk with no problem. But I see many men bought the Yukon, and they were very happy with it. There are many 4, 5 stars for the reviews about that kind. The price is very reasonable. I read their Facebook, they do ship internationally. I'm sure there are many very good ebikes on different brands and from different dealers. Good luck with your research and hope you will get one you are happy with (if you haven't gotten one yet).

Back