Illinois lockdown: bike shops still open

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Under Governor Pritzgers executive order, 2020-10, bike shops will still be open as part of transportation related industries, exempt from the business ban. Paragraph 12.e Essential Businesses and Operations.

PeopleforBikes also sent out a notice that it has been actively working with many local, state, and federal government authorities to keep these bike shops open for the public who may be limited in their transportation choices.

Anecdotally many people have been getting their regular bikes out from the 'rafters' and bringing them in for tune ups. Biking and walking are permitted during the lockdown.

This may be worth checking in your own state if it experiences the same type of lockdown.

My bike shop in Northern California is open... the line forms at the door with one person allowed inside at a time. ;)

The ones I deal with here in northeast PA are all closed per the governor's order. Not much biking around here anyway this time of year.

I just hope staff is wiping everything down with disinfectant between customers... Glad places are open, though!

Trouble is that once someone working there comes down with the Wuhan, shop probably will close.
That's why my local petfood store is closed but others in the chain are still open (petfood shops are ruled "essential service"). Got my doggy some of that nice essential food.

Fullerton Loop trail today - wide and open, very popular - was PACKED today. Everybody and his uncle was out for a stroll. Thousands of dogs, kids, families, old and young, lots of bikes too. If there was a 'lockdown' you'd never know it. Absolutely beautiful first of spring day. (Friday was first day of spring)

I have not been to my lbs.

Fullerton Loop trail today - wide and open, very popular - was PACKED today. Everybody and his uncle was out for a stroll. Thousands of dogs, kids, families, old and young, lots of bikes too. If there was a 'lockdown' you'd never know it. Absolutely beautiful first of spring day. (Friday was first day of spring)

And that's exactly why the numbers continue to climb!

Thanks for posting this. I’m closing our store for test rides and only doing online and phone orders. I think it’s too risky to remain open. I hope I don’t regret our decision, but I think in these uncertain times we all have to act responsibly.

You inspired me to put a separate post about our strategy.

On Friday's ride (first day of county-wide lockdown) it looked a lot more like a weekend, with many folks out walking, walking their dogs or riding. Saw a local trail in Pismo on the news last night - crowded with people walking. County is making a 'suggestion' that everyone walks it in a CCW direction, but apparently that was not heeded as folks were bunching up with some going up and others going down in many places.

They interviewed one woman who stated that she just loves the trail so much and just wouldn't know what to do if they closed it. Still a lack of knowledge or acceptance of what this virus can do to individuals and populations. Or just the standard invincibility complex shared by so many westerners.

I'll keep to the streets on my e-bike as it should give me the health benefits of riding with much better social distancing.

Even our kittens are now practicing social distancing. They are siblings and used to always share the cat beds.

Attachments

• IMG_0554B.jpg
    IMG_0554B.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I’m closing our store for test rides and only doing online and phone orders. I think it’s too risky to remain open. I hope I don’t regret our decision, but I think in these uncertain times we all have to act responsibly.

You inspired me to put a separate post about our strategy.
Smart thinking. Good ethics. You can continue working to keep your business afloat as many others will have to desist or callously risk their customers' health, or unknowingly put others at risk during the most infectious stage before symptoms show.

Smart thinking. Good ethics. You can continue working to keep your business afloat as many others will have to desist or callously risk their customers' health, or unknowingly put others at risk during the most infectious stage before symptoms show.
Thanks! This is my feeling. I guess I’m fortunate to have considerable experience selling online and using digital tools. Not all businesses are so fortunate and it’s difficult to start while under duress. There are very challenging times ahead for many unfortunately.

We took a walk around the neighborhood on day 1 of the Illinois lockdown. Whenever we saw someone coming, we just left the sidewalk and went into the street, Oddly enough. half the people we saw would pass within 2-3 feet of each other, not caring to step off. One jogger would have run right by us, but I heard him coming and we gave him a lot of room.

HA HA! My kittens ignored the governor's advice ...

Thanks Alan and you too TMH for posting your cat pictures. They brightened up my day, which is something sorely needed in these trying times.

The gray tabby looks exactly like the one I had as a kid. He was my buddy for the first 20 years of my life.

Back