If I’m looking at Giant Explore-E - which others should I consider ?

Acadiandad

I’m 220#, 5’10”, 50ish and pretty out of shape. Looking to commute ~20km each way, mostly rural roads, possibly gravel trail, some hills. Likely summer / fair weather riding only and need to arrive without a sweat on ... but hoping to get some physical benefit.

So far, I’ve tried my colleague’s VoltBike Yukon (fat bike), a Juiced CrossCurrent S commuter (fast!) and then, this morning, a Giant Quick-E+ and the Explore-E+ 1 (Eg the version with 2x10 spd, fenders, rack, etc)

I personally found the Juiced an improvement over the VoltBike with the torque sensing PAS being a little more intuitive - but I was really impressed with the mid motor powered Giants - both the fit & finish / components - but also just how smooth and intuitive the PAS was. I really am leaning towards the Explore with its front suspension as with the crappy roads or gravel, I think it might be a more comfortable ride - but ouch the $$$.

I’m fine with paying for quality but if I’m looking at Giant (& it’s fairly significant prices), are there other brands and models I should really consider ? I'm located in Ottawa, Canada - so that might impact suggestions.

Finally if I did go with Giant, does anyone know if they negotiate pricing (this time of year) or it’s pretty much just the sticker price ?

Oh yeah, also, how do you heal the insanely sore butt I have after test riding 3 bikes after years of no riding ? LOL

Any help / recs appreciated.

Last edited:
Back