I need Spokes for the rear wheel of my Aventon Level

Scone63

I have 200 miles on my Aventon Level and discovered I have 4 broken spokes on my rear wheel. I contacted Aventon on July 3rd for information on what size or part# to order and have not received a reply. I don't see them listed on Aventon web page. If someone can help me with information on where I can get the right size spoke I would really appreciate the help. The nipples are still in place, so I would just need the spoke. Thanks

Four in 200 miles?! I hope they are going to pay for the repair. Even a wheel that has lost a significant amount of tension should not be breaking spokes.

I cannot tell you what size, but it is as simple as measuring from the elbow at the hub to the rim. The other measurement is the spoke gauge; Aventon lists them as 13G spokes. I would recommend Sapim E-Leader Spokes.

Thanks for the information. I can't get a response from Aventon and I want to get rolling. I guess it will be my dime.

For a rear wheel, spokes are often longer on one side of the rim than the other. maybe 2-3 mm. This allows the wheel maker to center the tire in the frame, because the gears offset the wheel.

Unless your local shop carries and cuts 13G spokes (special order at my local shop) this could take some time. The US vendors on ebay can ship any spoke in 5 working days. I've seen a world of difference in the quality of the spokes/nipples I buy from those guys and the spokes that come on pre-built chinese ebike wheels. The threads are better.

13 ga spokes are futile when the metal is made of iron/aluminum/copper/lead scrap. As many spokes from a certain country are now. There are good spokes from that country, my yubabike came with them, but how one sorts the real steel from the scrap metal without a $50000 incoming inspection test is not obvious. Brand names in that country are not a protected commodity. QA inspectors can be bribed, and without proper auditing by corporate officials, frequently are.
I've been buying thinner 14 ga DT swiss spokes for my re-build of wheels to put IGH or hub motors in them. I've been extremely happy with the result. I load this cargo bike with 170 lb me and up to 80 lb of supplies on the back in the panniers. DT swiss spokes are not cheap, were made in USA, have a US registered trademark, and come in a pack of 50. I bought them from thebikeshopstore.com . I bought some extra long nipples (12mm) from the same source which cover up unevenness of my assembly.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention spoke brands. Saphim and DT Swiss come to mind. Excellent quality.

You need a ruler or tape measure. The length includes that in the nipple, also the bend. The link in post 5 still works. Silver color spokes are cheaper than others, all DT swiss are the same quality steel.

You need a ruler or tape measure. The length includes that in the nipple, also the bend. The link in post 5 still works. Silver color spokes are cheaper than others, all DT swiss are the same quality steel.

I am measuring 192 mm. I am estimating that the broken bend at the hub would add 4 mm.

The length of the bend is not included in the spoke length, It's measured from the inside of the bend down to the end, which you can do by taking out a spoke on the same side.

If you don't care to remove any spokes, the edge of the flange hole to the rim is close enough. You might add 1 mm since that's how far most spokes protrude into the rim.

Order both the spoke/nipple and the threads will match. Also, the nipple length will be right for the spoke.

If you find the stock sizes are too short or too long, order too short then order a package of 16 mm (extra long) nipples to cope.
My LBS has a thread machine that will cut spokes to any length. They will respoke a 36 spoke wheel for $75 + tax. If you do it yourself, replace them one at a time to maintain straightness.

Did you ever hear from Aventon. I had three broken spokes in 250 miles and they eventually just sent me a new wheel.

Aventon sent my spare spokes. I believe that I heard the warning not let the nipple fall away in between the double walled rim. I know I heard that somewhere....

Good news you finally got them! Though it will suck to have to wait longer, I’d encourage you to take the bike to a LBS for them in ensure the when is properly tensioned. That will help avoid more broken spokes down the road.

A little late, but I just had the same issue with a broken rear spoke and having to wait for a response form Aventon. In the meantime I reached out to a local Pedego ebike shop and they were able to get me an ebike rated spoke of the same length and gauge level. They were very helpful and I avoided waiting to have it shipped. May work for others with ebike specific shops nearby.

Rear drive side, 202mm, not sure on the gauge.

The rear wheel spoke size for the Aventon Level is a 13gauge x 202mm and was told there is no difference in size or length for the rear wheel of the Level whether it's the drive or sprocket side. I did call a Trek's shop since they are set up to make spokes but they could only make a 14 gauge (Silver) which of course is a lighter gauge which I didn't want to do.

I was going on a long trip and an Aventon dealer took a few spokes out of a bent wheel which I was very thankful for and ordered a few extra from Aventon as spares. They do hose you on freight which was considerably more than the product... Oh well... That's life >>>>> www.aventon.com/products/aventon-rear-drive-spoke?variant=39269120344259

Last edited:
Back