I Like The OLD "Look"!

AdvenJack

Region
USA
I am hoping to either build or have built, an electrically powered bike that draws its appearance
from the 1911 FM motorcycle in the photo below. I am NOT really focussed on the look of the
engine, nor on the shaft drive. I do want the shape of the frame to be as seen, and the seat place-
ment, and the handlebars, and the headlamp, and I'd have a false gas tank that would contain
the battery, (batteries). I am considering using a worksman.com bicycle as the foundation. (See
the photo of the blue bike below the antique bike.) The 1907 Triumph, the last photo, is also quite
attractive to me. I look forward to all feedback!
1911 FN.png

Worksman UltraCommuter.png

Triumph.png

I also like the old look, here are my 2 electric old bikes. One is a Greaser from Michael Blast modified to look like an Excelsior road bike and the second is an Indian board track racer 1912 tribute.

Last edited:
I see Schwinn Black Phantom 1995 anniversary edition bikes for sale fairly often for $1800 or so. Not cheap, but they are similar to the look you're after. Top tube isn't straight though. The springer fork is cool. Tank and fenders are ready to ride.

Screenshot_20220901-164320_Chrome.jpg

Harley produces limited recreations of their bicycles from the early 1900's. They just did a run of them a year or two ago. $4k and made in the US. They are bought for collecting.

😁 I thank both of you forum participants for posting on my thread! The photos and info you've
shared are much appreciated. Studying the pictures, the small and larger differences, in the
various examples, is so much fun. Who knows why we're "pulled" toward one style more than
we are drawn toward the next? At this point in time, for me, that PARALLELOGRAM shape of
the frame's upper section, (of the 1911 FN and the '07 Triumph in post #1) inside which we see
the gas tank is having a "magnetic" effect on me! I think that once the builder has the uppermost
crossmember tube dip down, at the rear most portion, the design says "MOTORCYCLE" to me!
I am drawn to the earlier look, and I am "seeing" it as being more correctly called a "Motor Bike",
which is what I want right now. In the picture below, a 1914 Triumph, we see the bend in the upper
crossmember tube. It allows for the seat to be a few inches lower. I like it, but right now I am aim-
ing for what we see in the '11 FN & '07 Triumph in my 1st post of this thread. 👍

Triumph 1914.png

If it's what you prefer, you are lucky ! Just solder a parallel bar under the top one of a regular 26" wheel used bike and a boxy tank is among the easiest to do.
Good luck with your search and built.

If it's what you prefer, you are lucky ! Just solder a parallel bar under the top one of a regular 26" wheel used bike and a boxy tank is among the easiest to do.
Good luck with your search and built.
That is an Excellent Suggestion! Begin with a simple, steel framed bike. Then weld one additional crossmember into place, running along the bottom of the false gas tank. I appreciate your experience! Thank you.

I love old motorcycles and they have that steam punk look to them.

I grew up riding Enduro's so that is why I chose the Ariel X as it has that Enduro and cafe racer style.

I am looking for an old bobber or chopper frame and do a custom ebike but hard to come by.

I also like the old military bikes and would love to build an ebike with a sidecar for my dogs.

If anyone knows where I can get a sidecar for a bike let me know.

cherepovets-russia-may-military-vintage-motorcycle-sidecar-parked-green-grass-cherepovets-russ...jpg

I love old motorcycles and they have that steam punk look to them.

I grew up riding Enduro's so that is why I chose the Ariel X as it has that Enduro and cafe racer style.

I am looking for an old bobber or chopper frame and do a custom ebike but hard to come by.

I also like the old military bikes and would love to build an ebike with a sidecar for my dogs.

If anyone knows where I can get a sidecar for a bike let me know.

View attachment 134090
Check for Antique Motorcycle Swap Meets. There's a group, or maybe several groups, on facebook. All the old motorcycles draw me.
After my first ebike that's inspired by the "boxy look", I might very well go after another bike that looks like few decades newer!

Last edited:
Check for Antique Motorcycle Swap Meets. There's a group, or maybe several groups, on facebook. All the old motorcycles draw me. After my first ebike that's inspired by the "boxy look", I might very well go after another bike that looks like few decades newer!
I have found these and may get the frame and build my own.

sidecar.PNG

You could just start with one of these new bikes.
1662144470988.jpeg

Here is a one speed-coaster brake Huffy that I made electric a couple of weeks ago. It had a one-piece American cast iron crank.
1662144874277.jpeg

This next one was a Townie one-speed that I made eight with coaster brake. You would want internal gears. Your project is fully doable. Good luck.
1662145102606.jpeg

I am hoping to either build or have built, an electrically powered bike that draws its appearance
from the 1911 FM motorcycle in the photo below. I am NOT really focussed on the look of the
engine, nor on the shaft drive. I do want the shape of the frame to be as seen, and the seat place-
ment, and the handlebars, and the headlamp, and I'd have a false gas tank that would contain
the battery, (batteries). I am considering using a worksman.com bicycle as the foundation. (See
the photo of the blue bike below the antique bike.) The 1907 Triumph, the last photo, is also quite
View attachment 133967
View attachment 133968
View attachment 133969
Hi AdvenJack,
I am also building a Board Track eBike replica. I don't know if you ever found your frame but I bought one from Workman's Cycle that's made especially for these kind of builds (and takes minimal welding).
Board Track Drop Loop Frame

View attachment 133967
View attachment 133968
View attachment 133969 This frequently serves as a motivation for me while I work on my projects. These were excellent resources for me when I needed to know how to find modern house images. I will be using this frequently, thus it is crucial to me.

Simply amazing!

Last edited:
Back