I hate fenders...

I hated the fenders on my prior Como. The front fender was flexible and long (to protect the motor) but kept flipping up and getting stuck on the tire. I eventually cut it shorter with some bolt snippers in the hopes of still keeping a little protection. I'm hoping the new Como the shop is putting together for me has a different fender style on it. (For some reason my guys' Como XL had stiffer, shorter fenders on it out of the shop than my small frame did.)

Were those fenders the DryTech ones, Alicia?
Good question, Stefan! I'm honestly not sure. I suspect the LBS may have swapped fenders on accident or something. It's the bike in front. (Sigh, I miss it.) You can see my boyfriend's Como 4.0 XL behind it with a different fender style.

Attachments

• 107747845_10159453407253268_2525478877561196639_o.jpg
    107747845_10159453407253268_2525478877561196639_o.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 259
They look DryTech to me. The pride of Spesh. I actually like them on my Vado. Perhaps the issue resulted from the fact Como had thicker tyres than Vado? I don't know!

They look DryTech to me. The pride of Spesh. I actually like them on my Vado. Perhaps the issue resulted from the fact Como had thicker tyres than Vado? I don't know!
Could be! I think I smacked it rolling off a curb. I'm not used to having a long fender like that in front, for sure.

(Let me whisper in your ear that my brother had to shorten the front mudflap, too...) :D
Haha! Some of us put our bikes through hell, to be sure. My fenders did not have long for this world. Glad I'm not alone in putting the Como through its paces. It's a beast and can take the licking and keep on ticking!

As you don't participate in our Vado/Como User Club, Alicia, you are not aware I often transport my e-bikes inside my station wagon, with the front wheel removed. I destroyed the mudflap by careless transporting of my Vado...

As you don't participate in our Vado/Como User Club, Alicia, you are not aware I often transport my e-bikes inside my station wagon, with the front wheel removed. I destroyed the mudflap by careless transporting of my Vado...
I'll have to start participating! Ouch, that's a bummer. Were you able to replace it? I'm also interested in getting our bikes out and about.

I’ve never hit my well-designed Trek Allant+7 fenders on on any curb!😉
Me neither. You just ride your Allant in some mud or slush and then inspect the state of the motor under the ventilation grille :) (That's why the DryTech mudflaps are so long)
I'll have to start participating! Ouch, that's a bummer. Were you able to replace it? I'm also interested in getting our bikes out and about.
The mudflap is now just a tad shorter than it was originally. Specialized only offer complete fender sets so it is not any pressing situation. I ride now often in the rain during this winter; no adverse effects.

Last edited:
Me neither. You just ride your Allant in some mud or slush and then inspect the state of the motor under the ventilation grille :) (That's why the DryTech mudflaps are so long)

The mudflap is now just a tad shorter than it was originally. Specialized only offer complete fender sets so it is not any pressing situation. I ride now often in the rain during this winter; no adverse effects.
I did just go through a bunch of slush a couple of weeks ago. No problem and was certainly glad to have fenders!

Attachments

• 1BC005A6-E924-467C-B6F3-2C6B806BA947.jpeg
    1BC005A6-E924-467C-B6F3-2C6B806BA947.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 317
I hated the fenders on my now parts bike CCS. The stays may as well have been attached with
thumb tacks, constantly popping of in the most inconvenient ways. I cut off the useless mud flaps
with tin snips, but the plastic fenders continued to flop side to side & warp out of shape. As rainy
as it is here, they really didn´t help much, just something to accumulate mud & pine needles.

The Vado fenders are substantial metal construction. Happy to have had them on today's ride!

Back