Gator

Hello Friends

Just wanted to report that my bike came in and it has met most of my expectations. The charcoal paint with black lettering and strips is pretty sharp. I have rode it a total of 12.4 miles. (I would ride more but it started to rain pretty hard.) The bike shop charged the battery to 98% and it is at 77% now so I feel pretty confident about my commute distance of 23 miles round trip and not taking the charger to work with me. I rode part of my commute route this evening. Mostly two lane roads, some rolling hill country, nothing dramatic. I have a top speed of 25.4 mph, but the majority of the ride I I estimate I averaged 17 mph. I rode in Eco mode for the majority of the ride. This bike did a very good job of flattening out the hills for me. I got a pretty good workout, but the motor did its part for sure. Its really fun to be in speed + mode and start from a dead stop. The motor is torque-y and you can get going fast. I am really happy I held out for the XL frame size because the bike just seems to fit really well. I am still in shakedown rides, but I will probably ride my first work commute on Thurs.

The bike is very well put together. All the controls and interfaces are easy to access and see. The bike has 5 assist levels; Eco, Eco+, Normal, Speed, and Speed+. It shifts nicely with a pause in pedaling to change gears. A few times my timing was off or I forget completely to pause and the bike handled it well, but I don't plan to make it a regular habit. The fenders are light, but do not rattle. The front and rear lights are very bright. There is a lot of bike here for the $3,050 I paid.

One point of concern and one point of aesthetics. My point of concern involves the bottle cage on the upright. You can see it in the picture. It is pretty hot and humid here in Southern Ohio today. I filled my water bottle to the top. As I was squeezing it into the bottle cage a pretty good amount of water came out and landed on the battery then trickled down between the frame and the bottom of the battery. I wiped it out and there were no problems with the bike, but I have decided that I will have to store my water somewhere else on the bike because its not a matter of "if" it happens again. It's a matter of when it happens again if I keep my water in that location. On the aesthetics, the rear fender is twisted and does not center of the tire by the taillight. Very minor, but I need to come up with a fix because it really bugs me.

I already have a few changes in the works, but for now I am going to enjoy it in its stock form and commute.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,191
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,064
It rained pretty hard today so I didn't take her out on my first commute. Last night I went for a 12 mile ride and everything worked flawlessly. I did put a Cloud 9 seat on at the bike shop and my backside is thankful. The bike is pretty rigid and transmits quite a bit of vibration and shock from the road surface so I choose my path carefully. My 12 mile ride used 16% of the battery so I am pretty confident that I can get two round trip commutes per charge. I am getting some muscle tightness in my shoulder blades and on one side of my neck so I am beginning to think about handle bars. I have had this tightness on my mountain bike so it is nothing new. Finally, the stock pedals have to go. My feet slip off and they don't appear to be of the same quality of the bike by A long stretch. I plan on some big rides this weekend and hopefully a commute on Mon. Have a great ride!

Update: I have had my Quick E + for 6 days now. I have the battery on the charger for the first time. The bike computer says I traveled 58.2 miles. The bike shop charged the battery to 98% when I picked it up and after riding all week with about an 18 mile ride this morning, I took the battery down to 4%. Interestingly, the handbook says to charge and fully discharge the battery 15 times to improve the life. I have read in a lot of different places here on EBR about not fully charging or discharging the battery to improve life. I have a timer on to see how long it takes to charge. The handbook says 7hours, 20 minutes for a max charge. I will not leave it on any longer than that. I rode a lot today. It did appear that the second half of the battery charge did go faster than the first half, but I was in some pretty heavy headwinds for about 45 minutes. The bike continues to perform flawlessly. I am getting better at pausing before I shift. I found an unused screen saver from and iPhone 5 and I've traced the the computer screen on the bike. I am going to try and resize then apply the screen saver for a little bit of extra protection. I have my ABUS lock in the pouch installed on the down tube and I picked up a bottle cage bracket for the handle bars to keep the water away from the battery. This will require some fine tuning because it's difficult to get the bracket tight enough to not slip down. Looking forward to my first commute on Mon. That's all for now.

Update: My first commute was a breeze. The bike worked fantastic. I did notice the bumps and potholes a lot more without a shock on the front, but the bike certainly did its part as far as getting me to work. My morning ride is pretty fun because I coast down a long hill. Going home it takes an extra 15 min. because I have to ride back up that hill. It's not a problem now. Love this bike =D

Just here to say that the Quick-E models Giant runs in the Netherlands apparently has a spec with a suspension fork up front, so that's apparently very doable. Not sure if a post-sale upgrade is possible for a regular Quick E, but a nice suspension fork up front has been a godsend commuting on my Dirt E. I know I'd have crashed a few times if it weren't for that thing.

Just here to say that the Quick-E models Giant runs in the Netherlands apparently has a spec with a suspension fork up front, so that's apparently very doable. Not sure if a post-sale upgrade is possible for a regular Quick E, but a nice suspension fork up front has been a godsend commuting on my Dirt E. I know I'd have crashed a few times if it weren't for that thing.

Hello Friend
Thanks for the reply.

I have noticed several differences in the European models. Is it possible you could give me a part # for that fork? It is probably not available in the US but I might try ordering it from a European vendor. I am also looking for the flat shelf that attaches on top of the fender support/pannier rack. My bike has the mounting holes but just plastic inserts. I know this is a lot to ask but I have had no luck with LBS's or internet vendors.

Hello, I have a question wonder if any of you have time to answer - quick-E 2017

How much assistance does the Power Mode, Normal Mode, and Eco mode actually give? I thought I had heard or read that the Power mode doubled the torque but it seems like more.

I bought the floor model and it didn't come with a manual. I haven't been able to find the answer online.

Thank you!

Water shouldn't be a problem unless the particular ebike you purchased shouldn't be ridden in the rain ... Thoughts? Is it a non-rain-proof ebike?

Water shouldn't be a problem unless the particular ebike you purchased shouldn't be ridden in the rain ... Thoughts? Is it a non-rain-proof ebike?
I have been riding my bike to work for a year and never had any water issues at all. I towel it off when I get to work and home and it is parked in a garage on both ends. I live in the Bay Area and we didn't that that much rain but still I got soaked many days and everything is still working great. I love this bike so much!

Hello, I have a question wonder if any of you have time to answer - quick-E 2017

How much assistance does the Power Mode, Normal Mode, and Eco mode actually give? I thought I had heard or read that the Power mode doubled the torque but it seems like more.

I bought the floor model and it didn't come with a manual. I haven't been able to find the answer online.

Thank you!

Hi there, Manuals are online at https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/owners-manuals. As much info as was packed with the bike is probably here. Be sure to register your bike with a photo of the serial # as this comes in handy if a warranty issue arises. Giant requires this I think. As far as percentage of assist, I think if you noodle around some Yamaha sites or other manufactures using Yamaha mid drive systems, someone put it out there. Enjoy your bike.

Hi there, Manuals are online at https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/owners-manuals. As much info as was packed with the bike is probably here. Be sure to register your bike with a photo of the serial # as this comes in handy if a warranty issue arises. Giant requires this I think. As far as percentage of assist, I think if you noodle around some Yamaha sites or other manufactures using Yamaha mid drive systems, someone put it out there. Enjoy your bike.
I looked through the manual and couldn't find it anywhere. I emailed Giant so maybe I'll get an answer from them. I've been having a blast on this bike. I use it to get to and from work quickly but I've been using for exercise too when I have time to take a longer ride. I have been flying down the East Bay hills. This is really just a great bike.

I looked through the manual and couldn't find it anywhere. I emailed Giant so maybe I'll get an answer from them. I've been having a blast on this bike. I use it to get to and from work quickly but I've been using for exercise too when I have time to take a longer ride. I have been flying down the East Bay hills. This is really just a great bike.
What email address did you use?
I have a different question for them.

Cheers,

Well today I logged 500 miles on my Ebike today. I enjoy the bike now as much as the day I got it. I have added a few pieces such as a new set of handle bars, pedals a MIK compatible flat deck, installed a horn and extra front light and an extra blinky tail light. I also started using some Timbuk2 panniers. I especially like my morning commute now that I take the bike trail. I have to say I have had no problems with the bike. I have had 1 flat tire and ... (knocking on wood) ... I have had no issues with the bike at all. It just keeps haulin (my) ass. =D

Wow! 500 miles! That is amazing and great. I'm so curious. How did you manage it? Eco Mode the whole way? Did you recharge? Any hills? Did you upgrade the battery?
I've had my bike for a year now and love it so much. Thanks to your suggestion, I had my LBS cut the handlebars down 1" (they did this for free because I bought the bike there) which makes me feel safer filtering traffic. The only other changes I've made are the saddle and SPD pedals.

500 miles in a day; I just leave the power off. =D
500 miles total since I bought the bike. 584 as of today. I changed the saddle and pedals also. big improvements. Enjoy your ride.

I really like the Giant line of e-bikes.. I called the nearest dealer and was told they had Giant e-bikes on the showroom floor. I asked for the model I was interested in, the Stance-E and was rudely told they didn't carry that model nor would they ever. The guy told me they didn't want e-mountain bikes on, or tearing up their trails.. I'm looking for another dealer but may have to go w/ a different brand. As far as your crooked rear fender goes, I couldn't live with that either!

I really like the Giant line of e-bikes.. I called the nearest dealer and was told they had Giant e-bikes on the showroom floor. I asked for the model I was interested in, the Stance-E and was rudely told they didn't carry that model nor would they ever. The guy told me they didn't want e-mountain bikes on, or tearing up their trails.. I'm looking for another dealer but may have to go w/ a different brand. As far as your crooked rear fender goes, I couldn't live with that either!
Wow... turning away business because of a poorly thought through attitude.
Amazingly sad.

Back