I found the Di2 battery on my Creo SL Expert

wmason

Today I removed the TCU (Turbo Connect Unit) from the Creo this morning. The battery was stuffed pretty far down into the top tube. I found it because there was only one wire I couldn't account for, gently pulled it and there was the battery. Mystery solved. This is the place I will install the Shimano EW-WU 111 wireless sensor.

Today I removed the TCU (Turbo Connect Unit) from the Creo this morning. The battery was stuffed pretty far down into the top tube. I found it because there was only one wire I couldn't account for, gently pulled it and there was the battery. Mystery solved. This is the place I will install the Shimano EW-WU 111 wireless sensor.
Was the battery just sitting there or was it in holder or wrapped in foam...or what?

Just lodged in, no foam or clips. There's a fair amount of wires in the area so its pretty snug.
I installed the Shimano wireless unit today. Its pretty dicey getting the additional cable and the WU111 in front of the battery. It took the better part of an hour to find the right position to use the Shimano tool to "click" the cables into place. The Shimano tool is essential. I later found out that Park makes a substantial version. After the install the Di2/E-Tube setup was a breeze. Let me know if you need the parts numbers should you choose to proceed.

I would definitely be interested in parts and tips.
Shimano Wireless Unit EW-WU111, Shimano Electric Wire EW-SD50 (150mm), Shimano Tool, Shimano TL-EW02 E-Tube Plug Tool. Knowing what I know now I would choose this tool from Park: EWS-1. Be VERY careful in making the connections, the connectors have to "snap" to connect. There's plenty of videos that will give you some confidence:
I hope this helps, it is truly worth the effort.

Thank you for solving my problem. It was my New Years Holiday project and found your post here. I installed the wireless unit and connected to my Garmin Edge 530. It works great!

Does anyone know if I pair a Garmin 520 Plus with my DI2 system if I can display the DI2 info (battery and rear cog info) on any screen I choose, like my main one or do I have to go to a dedicated DI2 page? Of course I want to see my DI2 data with all my other important info. I can see a case for putting battery life on a different page but would want the gear display on my main page.
Thanks

Hello All - Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m a new member here with a 2021 Creo Expert. I’m trying to install the EW-WU111 Bluetooth unit and am having some issues. I’ve found the battery in the top tube behind the TCU, but am having trouble getting the battery out. It seems as if the battery length is too long to get through the opening in the top tube - I’m afraid I’m going to damage the battery or cables pulling the battery out.

For those that installed the WU111 next to the battery, did you remove the battery or did you make the connection with the battery still in the top tube (that doesn’t look easy)? Alternatively, I’m thinking about installing the unit behind the junction box in the right handlebar, but don’t really want to go through another taping job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hello All - Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m a new member here with a 2021 Creo Expert. I’m trying to install the EW-WU111 Bluetooth unit and am having some issues. I’ve found the battery in the top tube behind the TCU, but am having trouble getting the battery out. It seems as if the battery length is too long to get through the opening in the top tube - I’m afraid I’m going to damage the battery or cables pulling the battery out.

For those that installed the WU111 next to the battery, did you remove the battery or did you make the connection with the battery still in the top tube (that doesn’t look easy)? Alternatively, I’m thinking about installing the unit behind the junction box in the right handlebar, but don’t really want to go through another taping job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
BillCT: I started this thread because the information I could find at the time was a but sketchy. You do not need to remove the battery to attach the WU111. But you will be required to be very patient, have good light, and nimble hands. It took me about 30 minutes mainly because I was scared I would do something wrong. Installed in the battery area ensures a clean and protected situation. Once installed the connection between my Garmin 1030+ was a breeze. Nothing like scrolling through multiple screens chock full of data. Good luck!

Mine didn't come all the way out either. As stated just take your time. My battery had several ty wraps around it and I was abe to pull it out most of the way and hold the ty wraps while I connected the WU111. I figure that was the reason the Specialized put them there. So they could hold the battery while performing installation stuff. I had to disconnect the WU111 a few times to get it working so I got fairly good at it. Worth the work.

Best of luck

Thanks to both of you. Excellent advice! I took my time and was able to connect the cable to the battery while still in the top tube. It now syncs perfectly with my Garmin 1030. thanks again for the help - much appreciated!

Back