Hydra First Impressions

Have appreciated your sharing what info you could Jayaznpride. Especially since many of us that want a Hydra are going to be waiting quite awhile till we get to experience one. You mentioned being new to ebikes and I've only been riding ebikes for 6 or 8 weeks.

What would you say about the overall feel of your fat tire Hydra? I rode a fat tire rental bike which had a 350 watt motor. It felt sluggish and doggy as I tried to use it on fire road trails and climbing dirt roads in the hills. I would suspect your Hydra has no doggy feeling at all.

What else have you noticed about it?

Have appreciated your sharing what info you could Jayaznpride. Especially since many of us that want a Hydra are going to be waiting quite awhile till we get to experience one. You mentioned being new to ebikes and I've only been riding ebikes for 6 or 8 weeks.

What would you say about the overall feel of your fat tire Hydra? I rode a fat tire rental bike which had a 350 watt motor. It felt sluggish and doggy as I tried to use it on fire road trails and climbing dirt roads in the hills. I would suspect your Hydra has no doggy feeling at all.

What else have you noticed about it?
-Haha no doggy and no sluggishness. Road it in some trails that had a mix of ups and downs on the dirt, no issues.The standard handle bars are wide so you definitely don't want to be going into crazy trails having to go through tight places like between two trees. Obviously don't be doing Enduro 😆.
-You do hear tire and motor noise but it's not bothersome. I personally wouldn't upgrade the gears with a plastic to try to silence the motor.
-So far I had to adjust the derailleur twice but I am a noob at it and my dog did knock down my bike once haha.
-I got the standard seat and may upgrade it cuz my rear-end was killing me after riding on a trail.
-It is a heavy bike. I don't have a scale to weigh it. But, I have lifted it a bit when moving it into my front door into my house and it's not too bad.
-Suspension is good. Though I have yet to play around with it.
-I got the Innotrace wire which allows me to change settings. Pretty easy.

Great to hear details, thanks so much. In my hobbies and work I always appreciate having quality toys and tools to work with. I can imagine your bike being most enjoyable.

So I did the hall sensor replacement. Pain in the butt. I thought I was wiring it incorrectly. When I saw no error codes I unplugged the throttle and plugged it back in and it worked. Would have saved my a lot of headaches 😄.

Anyways, much improvement. In eco mode I press about 5 to 10 percent before it moves. In 1st gear ⚙ I can move as slow as 3mph without much effort. Range is throughout the throttle. No more all or nothing throttle.
Do you have any pictures of how you mounted it or was there any directions. I would like to put mine in but I’m clueless.
thanks
Gary

Do you have any pictures of how you mounted it or was there any directions. I would like to put mine in but I’m clueless.
thanks
Gary
20210620_230636.jpg

I wish I took more pictures. But, I'll use some pictures from a scooter forum along with some photoshop to illustrate my process. As always you do this at your own risk.

1. Unplug the throttle
2. Unscrew the throttle.
3. You will see 3 tabs as shown in the first picture. I used an old credit card cut it into 3 pieces to push it into the tabs. Then you can put apart the throttle.
4. Carefully, remove the wire and sensor from the throttle case. It's held on a bit by some rubbery glue. You will also notice the board in fit neatly in a slot.You will get what is on picture 2.
5. Cut the 3 wires holding on to the sensor and circuit board.
6. On your new hall sensor cut some of the extra wiring. Solder the wires in the exact same order as shown on the circuit board. You will get something like picture 3.
7. You need to cut a small peice of plastic like that from an old credit card as the same size as the circuit board. Glue the back of the sensor on the plastic so you get something like picture 4.
8. Put back the sensor in the slot and throttle together and test it out.

Now a few tips and warning. Don't connect the throttle with just the hall sensor by itself. If your bike is on well your bikes is gonna be flying 😄. Also, the sensor needs to be at a certain distance from the magnet. If it's too far the speed will be reduced. What I had to do was lift the bike off the air, assembled my throttle together without snapping in the tabs and test to see I was getting the same speed as the original sensor on 1st gear, which for me was 12.3 mph.

Thanks so much. Sounds a little complicated I’m gonna have to think it through for a bit in my head before I attempt it.

Thanks for the first impressions! Might pick up one of those sensors for when my bike arrives. Is the Innotrace cable compatible with the X1 controller? Did you have to order the harness and software option? I opted not to at $200 but may in the future if that's required to adjust PAS and throttle settings.

You will need to order the cable and download the software. Pushkar will help you make an account that needs to be approved by Innotrace. You will need the cable to adjust the PAS and throttle. Just keep in mind throttle is independent of whatever setting that's on the screen. Which is why I wanted a linear response from the throttle from the new sensor. Trying to feather a throttle with 1000 watts or more is not easy.

You will need to order the cable and download the software. Pushkar will help you make an account that needs to be approved by Innotrace. You will need the cable to adjust the PAS and throttle. Just keep in mind throttle is independent of whatever setting that's on the screen. Which is why I wanted a linear response from the throttle from the new sensor. Trying to feather a throttle with 1000 watts or more is not easy.
Thanks! I'll get in touch with Pushkar about that when my delivery date comes closer.

Funny I read a lot of people are concerned with how fast a bike will go either PAS or using the throttle. Maybe riding on city streets would justify performance data but on any kind of a off the road trail is ludicrous IMO. If I hit 20mph on the trails it's gotta be on a short flat section otherwise it's 1/2 of that. Gonna go that fast get a Zero bike or a Sur ron or Segway and call it good. Then you gotta go with boots, leathers, and full face helmet if your smart like when we were kids and had dirt bikes. I rarely use the throttle anymore. You would think getting older = MORE throttle not less.

Funny I read a lot of people are concerned with how fast a bike will go either PAS or using the throttle. Maybe riding on city streets would justify performance data but on any kind of a off the road trail is ludicrous IMO. If I hit 20mph on the trails it's gotta be on a short flat section otherwise it's 1/2 of that. Gonna go that fast get a Zero bike or a Sur ron or Segway and call it good. Then you gotta go with boots, leathers, and full face helmet if your smart like when we were kids and had dirt bikes. I rarely use the throttle anymore. You would think getting older = MORE throttle not less.
Yeah I want to be able to modify my settings so I'm not doing anything crazy on dangerous terrain lol

Back