Hunting e bike for road use

Nice score!
As it seems you mostly ride pavement.. I think you're going to be impressed by how much more efficient and nicer the ride is.
Enjoy!

Nice score!
As it seems you mostly ride pavement.. I think you're going to be impressed by how much more efficient and nicer the ride is.
Enjoy!
Yes, I put a street tire on my fat bike for the summer, world of difference in noise and rolling resistance.
Great!

I’m not looking for speed, and the knobbies noise and ride doesn’t bother me per se.

I’m mainly hoping to get a couple more miles out of each battery charge, and be better able to pedal the bike without any assist should the need arise.

Great!

I’m not looking for speed, and the knobbies noise and ride doesn’t bother me per se.

I’m mainly hoping to get a couple more miles out of each battery charge, and be better able to pedal the bike without any assist should the need arise.

The benefits are numerous and you you'll appreciate them after you experience them 😉

Great!

You will notice improved on-road performance in battery efficiency, braking, and cornering with good street tires. ;)

Last edited:
Well, at 54 this is the first time I’ve taken the wheels off a bicycle and changed the tires. It’s also the first time I changed a front sprocket for that matter. I went from the original 34tooth sprocket that came on the bike for off road hunting and hauling purposes to 46tooth (which the archery shop changed for me) and now to 52t.

This is also the first time I had to “break” and add links to a bicycle chain. It all went back together smoothly so I headed out for a test ride.

And I realized I hadn’t been paying attention when I put the crank arm back on; it wasn’t opposite the other crank arm.

D’oh!

Five minutes later I had that fixed and headed back out for a test ride. The magnetic pick up for the motor controller must have gotten out of whack during the process too, so my screen wasn’t recording speed or distance.

But the Origin8 Supercells tires were awesome. I actually pumped them up to 22lbs while breaking them in, and slow turns were still a bit squirrelly. Otherwise the ride is immensely improved, quieter, faster and with obviously much lower rolling resistance.

And it’s a lot easier to pedal the bike now with the motor off completely, which was my primary goal in all of this.

Changing out the front sprocket to 52t was also very beneficial as my pedaling cadence can better keep up with first and second gear, and it’s a better cadence at road speeds with the Sturmey Archer IGH in third gear.

Overall I’m really pleased with my first “real” attempt at bicycle mechanics, the new tires, and the bigger front sprocket.

It’s never been my goal to have a “cool” looking e bike, and I never would have picked camo, but I have to admit this e bike is growing on me! I might have to name it.
6AEBE0BE-8A08-4466-8542-F75CCA98C0AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, at 54 this is the first time I’ve taken the wheels off a bicycle and changed the tires. It’s also the first time I changed a front sprocket for that matter. I went from the original 34tooth sprocket that came on the bike for off road hunting and hauling purposes to 46tooth (which the archery shop changed for me) and now to 52t.

This is also the first time I had to “break” and add links to a bicycle chain. It all went back together smoothly so I headed out for a test ride.

And I realized I hadn’t been paying attention when I put the crank arm back on; it wasn’t opposite the other crank arm.

D’oh!

Five minutes later I had that fixed and headed back out for a test ride. The magnetic pick up for the motor controller must have gotten out of whack during the process too, so my screen wasn’t recording speed or distance.

But the Origin8 Supercells tires were awesome. I actually pumped them up to 22lbs while breaking them in, and slow turns were still a bit squirrelly. Otherwise the ride is immensely improved, faster and with obviously much lower rolling resistance.

And it’s a lot easier to pedal the bike now with the motor off completely, which was my primary goal in all of this.

Changing out the front sprocket to 52t was also very beneficial as my pedaling cadence can better keep up with first and second gear, and it’s a better cadence at road speeds with the Sturmey Archer IGH in third gear.

Overall I’m really pleased with my first “real” attempt at bicycle mechanics, the new tires, and the bigger front sprocket.

It’s never been my goal to have a “cool” looking e bike, and I never would have picked camo, but I have to admit this e bike is growing on me! I might have to name it. View attachment 62812

Looks great... well done!

Looks great... well done!
Thanks.

I’m definitely not a “Rambo” or a camo kind of guy. I’ll live with the camo, but I’m ordering some Mossy Oak Obsession camo gun tape to cover up the Rambo name brand.

get some of this. works better.
Great, thanks for the link.

This is what I was originally looking at. It gets good reviews too:

Just finished 20 miles on my e bike on a rail trail near Hershey PA. Put FSA Metropolis Handlebars on it last night. Big improvement!

Things are coming together great. It's nice to make those changes to fit yourself.
When you get a chance. Could you take a few pics of the handlebar for me?
One from the top/front and one from the side front say perpendicular to the forks? Trying to get a feel for the rise and sweep back.
No rush at all... but I might see these in my future.

I wouldn’t have chosen these handlebars if I hadn’t already installed an adjustable 90mm stem riser. These handlebars have plenty of rearward sweep but not enough upwards sweep by themselves. Combined with that adjustable stem riser, however, they are more than adequate for my needs.

I’ll attach photos later this morning.

Thanks Brian for the insight.
I've already extended my fork 120mm and shortened my stem from 110mm down to 60mm which has helped me a lot, especially with back and neck strain. But lately my carpal tunnel has been on fire and I'm thinking any little bit will help with my short little t_Rex arms.

I have no personal experience with adjustable stem risers myself... but when researching solutions I came across several reviews that said that they have a tendency to start moving on you over time and shouldn't be considered a permanent solution but more of a tool to find your sweetspot.
That said... Quality of them can vary by manufacturer and you could very well have a solid one.. but I'd keep an eye on it for safety ;)

Back