Hunting e bike for road use

I managed to ride 13 miles today, pedaling strongly the whole time, with the PAS level 1 and 2 adequate to get me up all the hills. As my own cadence improves, I’m even able to keep up with the faster PAS3 for short sprints.

So what at first I thought were shortcomings of this e bike, even with upgrading to a 46 tooth front sprocket, is actually working out quite well as my own cadence gets faster. That shouldn’t have come as a surprise but I just never considered my own efforts would improve so quickly.

Not bad at all for a bloke who’s had 5 strokes.
35319B27-AC11-48D6-89DF-740CA51E2694.png

$1200 for a new leftover 2018.

His wholesale cost was $1500 and they sold them retail for $2100.
At that price you got a lovely deal! My issue with Rambo is they are always over priced! I think your bike is under priced
especially VS current prices.

I managed to ride 13 miles today, pedaling strongly the whole time, with the PAS level 1 and 2 adequate to get me up all the hills. As my own cadence improves, I’m even able to keep up with the faster PAS3 for short sprints.

So what at first I thought were shortcomings of this e bike, even with upgrading to a 46 tooth front sprocket, is actually working out quite well as my own cadence gets faster. That shouldn’t have come as a surprise but I just never considered my own efforts would improve so quickly.

Not bad at all for a bloke who’s had 5 strokes. View attachment 59913
Interestingly the Bafang controller said I traveled 12.1 miles while my phone’s health app recorded 13.2 miles. I’m going to trust the latter for actual mileage since it’s gps based.

Interesting observation - I pumped up the Kenda Juggernauts to 25lbs for road use, and went for a ride tonight. Previously they must have been very low when they left the archery shop where I bought it because they wouldn’t even register on two different tire gauges. They didn’t look flat but I’m thinking they must have been in the 6-8lb range. I had a hard time keeping the bike moving more than a couple hundred yards in PAS1.

By increasing pressure to 25 pounds I’m able to ride in PAS1 all the time, and contribute a fair amount towards going forward, long as I keep my speeds low. In PAS2 it’s harder to keep up with the pedals but it’s perfect on hills.

Plus I put extenders on the pedals as my heels were hitting the pedal cranks before. That solved that problem nicely.

You might want to look into loosing the nobby tires all together. I can't tell you what a difference it makes in comfort and traction. And depending on your rim you might be able to find something with a center street area and lower profile nobs at the outer edge for some off rode abilities.
Kenda Kwick Drumlin is an example, though I don't believe they make a size for your rim. But that is a good example of tread pattern

IMG_20200725_123525_828.JPG

You might want to look into loosing the nobby tires all together. I can't tell you what a difference it makes in comfort and traction. And depending on your rim you might be able to find something with a center street area and lower profile nobs at the outer edge for some off rode abilities.
Kenda Kwick Drumlin is an example, though I don't believe they make a size for your rim. But that is a good example of tread pattern

View attachment 60052

Good suggestion... way too many EBikes are delivered with off-road tires that will never see a dirt trail.

View attachment 60052
Thanks.
I’m searching for fat tires in 26x4” that are road oriented. Not an abundance of choices although there’s some more in 26x3.5 that could fit too.

Thanks.
I’m searching for fat tires in 26x4” that are road oriented. Not an abundance of choices although there’s some more in 26x3.5 that could fit too.

I have no experience with that size but that could work. Definitely ask some questions before purchasing.
You'll be amazed at how much different your ride is. It's like getting a new bike all over again. 😍

Thanks.

What is the width of your rims... 80mm? That will help to narrow down the best options.

I would recommend staying with 26"x4" tires for the best fit on your rims.

Nice, thanks. The Supercell is one I was considering when the Juggernauts wear out.

Any input on these?

If it takes two weeks to form a good habit, I’m well on my way to a daily 10 mile e bike ride. I’m riding almost 100% in PAS1 with no throttle use. I’m only averaging 12-13mph but this pace is fine for me. I’m able to get up all the hills now in PAS1 and contributing considerably more effort than the pedal assist. I still might upgrade from a 46t front sprocket to a 52t front sprocket in the future. (I didn’t capture all my rides on my health app and missed a couple due to rain etc.)
6AEB3C9D-C059-4784-AF12-8E9861A45B09.png

Back