hub motor manufacturer

J.P.

Just received my radrover yesterday. Surprised to find a bafang hub motor came with it. Just curious whats on other rovers that were delivered earlier. Let me know what you got, thx.

The discussions said Hengtai with steel gears.
Just received my radrover yesterday. Surprised to find a bafang hub motor came with it. Just curious whats on other rovers that were delivered earlier. Let me know what you got, thx.

Mine was Bafang too. Plus, the kickstand is much more substantial than the one reviewed here. And interestingly this version has the Zero PA mode, whereas the previous versions did not (they only went down to 1). Finally, the top speed is adjustable to 25mph!

I feel like I won the lottery with all these free upgrades!!

Good to hear about the zero PA mode. Any chance that it also got the usb outlet on the display unit like on the Radwagon? I'm not sure what to think about the change in motors. It sounded to me like the Hengtai was an upgrade but I suppose the Bafang is much more common and that could be a good thing if parts or service are required.

Mine was Bafang too. Plus, the kickstand is much more substantial than the one reviewed here. And interestingly this version has the Zero PA mode, whereas the previous versions did not (they only went down to 1). Finally, the top speed is adjustable to 25mph!

I feel like I won the lottery with all these free upgrades!!

Can anyone else confirm the top speed is 25 mph?

Good to hear about the zero PA mode. Any chance that it also got the usb outlet on the display unit like on the Radwagon? I'm not sure what to think about the change in motors. It sounded to me like the Hengtai was an upgrade but I suppose the Bafang is much more common and that could be a good thing if parts or service are required.

This is a new Bafang that uses metal gears similar to the prior motor.

How does one tell what kind of motor one has? Does it say "Bafang" on it anywhere? I assume I have the Hengtai, since googling that set of letters and numbers didn't return any results.

Attachments

• 20151201_191656.jpg
    20151201_191656.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 734
Just picked up my RR today, and it has the BAFANG motor with the name and the following numbers on the hub: BAFANG BF RMG06 48V500W(13) 26-1509021343-1... :)

Mark -

How does one tell what kind of motor one has? Does it say "Bafang" on it anywhere? I assume I have the Hengtai, since googling that set of letters and numbers didn't return any results.
Mine says bafang on the motor between the spokes

I've only used my new bike for less than a mile so far, but I noticed that even going up small hills (on PAS 1) while pedaling, the display says I'm pulling over 800 Watts. Would that be consider normal, or will that overheat the motor and cause a problem? Am I doing ssomething wrong???

Mark -

My bad... I got to ride it again today for a few minutes between rain squals, and at PAS1 I was showing 250 to 700W depending on the grade and how hard I was pedaling. Plus I managed to get the derailleur adjusted so it would go into low gear, maybe that was part of the problem before... :)

Mark -

I'm really enjoying the new Radrover. One difference that I noticed today is that the Bafang motor does not have a quick disconnect. When I picked it up, I asked about it and was told it was under the slap guard. However, when I peeled the guard off after my ride today to make sure that everything was clean and dry, it wasn't there. I'm sure that the misinformation was an honest mistake and it certainly wouldn't have been deal breaker but I figured that some on here might be interested.

My Radrover arrived last night - with a Bafang - and I took my first ride this morning! BIG difference from my Sondors - I used 50% of the battery on a 15 mile trail loop that regularly kills TWO Sondors 8.8Ah batteries. Having lower pedaling gears helps a LOT. I also like the cadence detection, its handling and braking are superior, and the throttle sensitivity is almost perfect.

There's a HUGE difference between PAS levels 1 & 2, however - I found level 2 FAR too powerful for curvy off-road use. Sondors' difference between levels is much more subtle...

Rad's website once boasted of high-torque motors with metal planetary gears, which I learned on EBR were made by Hengtai. Is that why I didn't get the oil for lubing it after a year's use as shown in their "Owner Support & Best Practices?" The page still shows the Hengtai (pic below) - my Bafang definitely has no oil plug!

Freakyguy666 said this new Bafang has metal gears, but I guess we can't do maintenance on it... plus it says 500W on the Bafang - Rad still claims 750W but I guess that's "peak." Whatever, it's powerful enough for my 50+ needs, but still requires a good workout on my favorite trails.
Screen_Shot_2015-07-08_at_3.41.11_PM_large.png

I got an answer from Doyle at Rad:
"The Bafang that now comes on the RadRover is a new hub motor made specifically for fat bikes. This motor is made with extra wide nylon gears to maximize the surface area of the gear contact points to handle higher torque. When we first started production, this motor was not available so we went with the Hengtai due to the torque capacity provided by the metal planetary gears. The Bafang company is a more reputable brand and the motor is quieter and requires less maintenance (no need to refill the oil bath and no risk of running out of oil). "​

Back