How to tighten Creo SL chainring?

etgo

Region
USA
Guys, how to tighten Creo SL chainring?
Im cleaning my creo yesterday and I noticed the chainring is shaking a little.
I move the chainring left and right and it is really shaking.

Video here:

Last edited:
Guys, how to tighten Creo SL chainring?
Im cleaning my creo yesterday and I noticed the chainring is shaking a little.
I move the chainring left and right and it is really shaking.

Video here:
Someone with more knowledge will be by soon, I expect. But an allen wrench should work but I don't know the torque specs. Or hit your shop - they should be able to fix that in seconds.

5 mm Allen wrench, tighten each chainring bolt (in a cross-wise manner) until you feel all the bolts hold. Be careful not to pull the thread. The tightening torque is low, some 5 Nm.
Some people would unscrew all bolts, apply a threadlocker such as Loctite Blue and tighten the bolts again.

The chain ring bolts to the adapter are not the problem. The adapter itself is loose and rocking on the splined shaft. There normally is a lock ring that tightens the adapter onto the splines but I don't see one there and it looks like it is held on by a snap ring. So I would say there is no way other than perhaps a thicker snap ring to solve this?

Looking at his starting pic of the video, it says "5 Nm". ;)
As it is so easy to pull the thread on aluminium chainring bolts, I always tighten them "by feeling", re-tightening after the first ride.
I have already managed to pull the thread in the aluminium chainring bolts before.

TS25: I still own several steel chainring bolts, and really mastered the chainring replacement! ;) You are in the Fora too rarely to even notice that ;)

The chain ring bolts to the adapter are not the problem. The adapter itself is loose and rocking on the splined shaft. There normally is a lock ring that tightens the adapter onto the splines but I don't see one there and it looks like it is held on by a snap ring. So I would say there is no way other than perhaps a thicker snap ring to solve this?
Yes there is no problem with the adapter.
Its the splined shaft and I don't see any lock ring for the spline.

It would be a big help if another Creo SL owner would check theirs as a comparison? I know there are some on here.

Found it.. theres a screw at the back.
1645756922102.png

Many Thanks guys...

Many thanks- I noticed noise while cranking, a bit of looseness with the chainring. After checking torque on numerous bolts (chainring, crankarm, motor mounts), I saw this posting, torqued up this screw which had escaped my scrutiny, and the problem is solved. Live and learn.

Mine would come loose every few hundred miles. I ended up using blue threadlocker. However, My SL spends 99% of its life on trails and service roads. Now if I can figure out a way to keep those futureshock screws from backing out, I'd be happy.

Back