how to replace my battery? please help

shyneforever1

Region
USA
I'm gonna buy this new battery and I am scared I wont be able to connect it to my motor because the connection types are different. How would I be able to connect the new battery to my controller? Why does the "canon charging connector" look so weird? I have no clue how I would connect this to my motor and connector. in the picture of my battery, you can see the black and red wires which go back and connect to the on/off switch that is on my battery. And you can see the charging port on mine as well. as you can see in the file called "qzf battery4" it shows two different charging cord types?? this is so confusing. someone help please, im so anxious about all this

here is the battery on amazon if anyone wants to check it out to help -

Attachments

• qzf battery.JPG
    qzf battery.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20220502_215213.jpg
    IMG_20220502_215213.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 184
  • qzf battery2.JPG
    qzf battery2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 200
  • qzf battery3.JPG
    qzf battery3.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 182
  • qzf battery4.JPG
    qzf battery4.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 212
The "canon connector" is a complete lie. Canon has been out of the connector business for about 30 years. (no connection to the camara company). That is a generic XLR connector. You can buy real XLR connectors at newark & digikey. I just made a charger adapter out of one for my bike. At $6.50 the connector was half the price of the 2 amp charger.
I highly recommend not buying a battery from Amazon or ebay. You might get your money back. You will be stuck with a pile of trash that it costs $20 to dump legally.
Check battery threads under parts & accessories for a list of sources people trust. About 3 at this time. Jenny Mao represents one trusted source in Shanghai. em3ev in HK is another. Ebikeling in chicago is a third. With Shanghai shut down and hong kong affected, nobody is likely to have any inventory that is not a warranty failure. Shop again next year.

Last edited:
Well ebikeling sells the exact same battery I bought on amazon 52V 20Ah they just rate it at 19.2 Ah
Exact same case only theirs has their logo on it.

Geesh, if you don't understand electronics enough to know what a "canon" (but see below...) connector is, are you comfortable working with something that packs as much juice (hopefully) as this? You know how battery fires start?
A bit of clarification regarding connectors:
The XLR connector was invented by James H. Cannon, founder of Cannon Electric in Los Angeles, California (now part of ITT Corporation), and for this reason it was sometimes colloquially known as a Cannon plug or Cannon connector.
Note it's a "Cannon" connector, and isn't designed for power use. Worse, the seller doesn't even know how to properly spell the word!
As indianajo says, buyer beware...

Geesh, if you don't understand electronics enough to know what a "canon" (but see below...) connector is, are you comfortable working with something that packs as much juice (hopefully) as this? You know how battery fires start?

Note it's a "Cannon" connector, and isn't designed for power use. Worse, the seller doesn't even know how to properly spell the word!
it's an ebike, I shouldn't have to understand electronics at all to use it. also how am I supposed to know what a Canon connector is when they haven't made them for 20 years and they're named differently now

it's an ebike, I shouldn't have to understand electronics at all to use it. also how am I supposed to know what a Canon connector is when they haven't made them for 20 years and they're named differently now
Actually, they still make Cannon connectors, but Canon? you're right...
And you're right, too, that you don't need to understand electronics to use an ebike, but to maintain its electricals such a knowledge is very useful, and when it gets into the power circuits, it's even more helpful. I guess you've never seen what a short across a high capacity battery looks like? I've seen it with 12 volt auto batteries. Ain't pretty, and they don't explode or catch fire like lithium batteries tend to do.

Order from a known good source. Your connectors could be matched. BUT! That's a cheap battery and likely cheap generic cells. Google could solve your connector confusion.
ebike battery connectors

Note it's a "Cannon" connector, and isn't designed for power use.
You're both wrong ebikes.ca has been using XLR connectors for many years now. I have adapters for 4 different charge connectors from Grin.

XLR​

XLR

The XLR plug has been used in audio equipment for decades and is available in various pin configurations. In the ebike scene it's been used on battery chargers since as long as we've been doing this (2003). Back then we were mostly dealing with NiMH and NiCad batteries which require a temperature sensor for charging, and so a 3-pin XLR plug was used, with Pin 1 = V+, Pin 2 = Gnd, and Pin 3 = Thermistor. This same 3-pin configuration is also used with lithium and lead acid batteries that don't require a temperature sensor, and in that case the 3rd pin is either not connected or used as an interlock pin.

Generic quality XLR plugs don't have very good current handling for their size, and will often melt and distort when used above 4 amps or so. Higher quality XLR plugs like the Neutrik XX brand that we use on the Satiator are rated for 16 amps, which makes it an excellent choice for high current charging.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.18.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.23.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.29.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.29.27 PM.png

Last edited:
You're both wrong ebikes.ca has been using XLR connectors for many years now. I have adapters for 4 different charge connectors from Grin.

Generic quality XLR plugs don't have very good current handling for their size, and will often melt and distort when used above 4 amps or so. Higher quality XLR plugs like the Neutrik XX brand that we use on the Satiator are rated for 16 amps, which makes it an excellent choice for high current charging.
I'll ignore your Grin plug :) since you actually made my point quite well: Details matter. I could have gone into a detailed explanation, like you did, of the history of the connectors etc., but you filled that gap!
Are you affiliated with Grin?

This is a major problem and likely a second one. This battery has no off switch. You are going to be playing with live wires. That is a big bad No No. Next this type of battery most likely does not have much of a BMS so you are playing with fire. Even when dealing with much safer 110AC you turn off the circuit before messing with it.

Trace Elliot famously used XLR connectors for their bass guitar loudspeaker systems, back in the 1990s. I’m not really sure why they chose to do that, because of the very high risk that someone will try to use a microphone cable as a speaker cable. I’m also a bassist and an audio engineer.

I honestly thought we called them “cannon” connectors because they are sort of shaped like an artillery piece, not because of the man who invented them. But, real talk, I haven’t heard anyone say “cannon connector” since my college days, and that’s ore than half my life ago.

Back