How to protect derailleur

Kathy Smith

I modded my bike so the light is on the handlebar, I also have 2 mirrors and an extra bar because I ran out of space, and I’m finding that folding the bike and resting it on the handlebar side makes everything on the handlebar move around and I’m afraid I’ll break stuff. The other option would be laying it on the derailleur side but then I might damage the derailleur. I can’t attach derailleur protector as I don’t have any way to screw it on. So what I’m thinking is getting an extremely thick foam (or memory foam pillow) and resting the derailleur on it. What do you think of that idea, good or bad? Any other solutions?

Thanks!

Our first ebike, I bent the derailleur transporting it home (3 hour drive). Yes, I think a foam pad is a good idea, and would help.

There are derailleur guards that attach to the axle, but the 10mm hole would have to be enlarged (12x10) to fit an ebike, and I personally am wary of adding anything extra to the axle nuts on a hub motor bike, especially if it is going to get pushed and pressed.

Not familiar with your bike, but if there are enough axle threads available, this style of derailleur guard should work. It would require modification by cutting a slot to allow it to be slid onto the axle without removing the nut and power cable.

Not familiar with your bike, but if there are enough axle threads available, this style of derailleur guard should work. It would require modification by cutting a slot to allow it to be slid onto the axle without removing the nut and power cable.
I just wanted to say thank you. I did ordered that derailleur guard from Amazon and with just a tiny bit of modification was able to install it in the same screw hole where one of fender brackets attaches.

Back