How to power a USB C phone from a Bosch Intuvia

DougH

I have a cell phone with a USB Type C port. I want to power it from the Intuvia which has a micro-USB 2 port. When connected the Intuvia reverts to a data mode which doesn't provide power to the phone. Does anyone have suggestions?

Search for OTG Cable. That will adapt the micro USB from the Intuvia to USB. You can then plug in your regular USB to USB C cable from there.

500mv from the intuvia will charge your device slowly, but if you’re running some power hungry application the rate of battery use will outpace the charge input.

Thanks for the help. I've ordered an OTG adapter and think this will be the answer.
Doug

Is your cell phone a Samsung, possibly S8, DougH? If so then it should have come with a small adapter (USB Micro B to Micro C). Bosch supply a USB Charging Cable (Micro A - Micro B) with one end marked A and the other B. The end marked A (Micro B) plugs into the Intuvia display whilst the end marked B plugs into the small adapter which in turn plugs into the phone.
All the items shown below are available from Amazon (from where I grabbed the screenshots) along with other retail outlets I'm sure.

Attachments

• Micro A - Micro B.jpg
    Micro A - Micro B.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3,116
  • Samsung C Adapter rear.jpg
    Samsung C Adapter rear.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,358
  • USB type C.jpg
    USB type C.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,448
Last edited:
Is your cell phone a Samsung, possibly S8, DougH? If so then it should have come with a small adapter (USB Micro B to Micro C). Bosch supply a USB Charging Cable (Micro A - Micro B) with one end marked A and the other B. The end marked A (Micro B) plugs into the Intuvia display whilst the end marked B plugs into the small adapter which in turn plugs into the phone.

Thanks, Deeps. My phone is a Pixel 2 XL. It came with a USB C to USB A female adapter so I couldn't use the Bosch cable without another adapter. I've ordered a USB micro male to USB A female OTG adapter and a USB A Male to USB C cable from Amazon. I hope it will do the trick.

Perhaps worth noting this which I've just come across.....

***UPDATE*** Bosch eBike Systems have confirmed this mobile device charge feature will not work with all devices. So if you need to check the specific device you require to charge we can do this for you in store. Just bring in your product specific charge cable, the mobile phone/camera that will need charging and we can test it for you whilst you wait. Call us to arrange this.

Richard

Bosch eBike Expert

eBike Sussex

Great discussion. I was wondering about the same thing and the related threads provide more insight into the charging capabilities.

Is the general thinking that hooking up your phone to the Intuvia will only provide a low level stop it from dying kind of charge? Because it's only a 0.5A output right? I was looking to use apps like Google Maps or Strava maybe and they do tend to use a lot of power if you keep them open. Is it likely to be a better option to use a powerbank type device like the ones mentioned in the related threads - like these from Goal Zero?

All academic for me right now as my bike is currently on order. But I do like to 'hit the ground running' ;)

Plugging into the Intuvia on my Trek will actually (slowly) increase the charge on my iPhone7, while running Ride With GPS. The battery charge sticks are definitely faster, and I carry two of them as well when out in the boonies, but the Intuvia connection does work. If I happen to know where I’m going I’ll turn off the screen but let RWGPS continue to log the ride in the background and the thing will charge much faster.

Back