How To Pack An E-Bike Into A Station Wagon (a tutorial)

Stefan Mikes

Gravel e-biker
Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, PL
Many people use bike-racks on their cars to transport their e-bikes. A single person can easily transport a single e-bike in a station wagon; that is especially comfortable to carry an e-MTB to the trail. No fastest e-bike transport method by car exists.

1594534957921.png

Step 1: Have rear seats in your car folded. Start with rolling in the e-bike rearwards. The bike should lean onto the non-drive side. In case of a dropper post, dropping the seat helps but is not mandatory.

1594535115342.png

Step 2: A Turbo Vado has been rolled into the car. It is vital the front fender does not touch the ground, so support the bike frame against the car floor with a box.

1594535253818.png

Similarly, a Giant Trance E+ rolled into the car.

1594535330162.png

Step 3: Removing the front thru-axle. Use a regular Allen key to unscrew the thru-axle (a torque wrench shown here instead). It might be a 5 or 6 mm hex wrench, depending on your axle.

1594535517421.png

The Giant e-MTB axle is equipped with a quick release. In any case, unscrew the axle and remove it with your hand. The front wheel will pop up from the fork sockets. In case of a traditional 9 mm QR, removing the wheel is even easier (no need to remove the axle, just use the QR).

1594535712036.png

Step 4 (critical): Replace the axle, so it is not lost or soiled. Few turns clockwise is enough (can be done with your hand, no wrench is needed). Insert a brake-pad spacer between brake pads (a piece of thick cardboard will do). The latter action prevents upsetting the hydraulic brake against inadvertent pressing of the front-brake-lever.

1594535981531.png

Step 5: Rotate the handlebars to restore the normal position. Roll the bike even deeper into the car. Note: It is vital the handlebars are in the normal position not to destroy the front fender, if present. Place the front wheel under the bike's frame. The brake rotor should be up and not touch any object.

Unpacking

Perform the actions as above in the reverse order. In case of the thru-axle without quick release (like in the Vado), using a torque wrench is recommended but not mandatory.

Dedicated to @RandallS.

Last edited:
The 3 times I have needed to transport rather than ride my bike somewhere (bike repair shops) I hang it on a dual Thule car rack. They are a little expensive but save wear-n-tear on the car and the bike and make it so much easier. I have no doubt they make one that would fit your car. Question... you need a wrench to remove the front wheel? Ride safe.

Many people use bike-racks on their cars to transport their e-bikes. A single person can easily transport a single e-bike in a station wagon; that is especially comfortable to carry an e-MTB to the trail. No fastest e-bike transport method by car exists.

View attachment 58663
Step 1: Have rear seats in your car folded. Start with rolling in the e-bike rearwards. The bike should lean onto the non-drive side. In case of a dropper post, dropping the seat helps but is not mandatory.

View attachment 58664
Step 2: A Turbo Vado has been rolled into the car. It is vital the front fender does not touch the ground, so support the bike frame against the car floor with a box.

View attachment 58665
Similarly, a Giant Trance E+ rolled into the car.

View attachment 58667
Step 3: Removing the front thru-axle. Use a regular Allen key to unscrew the thru-axle (a torque wrench shown here instead). It might be a 5 or 6 mm hex wrench, depending on your axle.

View attachment 58668
The Giant e-MTB axle is equipped with a quick release. In any case, unscrew the axle and remove it with your hand. The front wheel will pop up from the fork sockets. In case of a traditional 9 mm QR, removing the wheel is even easier (no need to remove the axle, just use the QR).

View attachment 58669
Step 4 (critical): Replace the axle, so it is not lost or soiled. Few turns clockwise is enough (can be done with your hand, no wrench is needed). Insert a brake-pad spacer between brake pads (a piece of thick cardboard will do). The latter action prevents upsetting the hydraulic brake against inadvertent pressing of the front-brake-lever.

View attachment 58670
Step 5: Rotate the handlebars to restore the normal position. Roll the bike even deeper into the car. Note: It is vital the handlebars are in the normal position not to destroy the front fender, if present. Place the front wheel under the bike's frame. The brake rotor should be up and not touch any object.

Unpacking

Perform the actions as above in the reverse order. In case of the thru-axle without quick release (like in the Vado), using a torque wrench is recommended but not mandatory.

Dedicated to @RandallS.

Well done!

If I only had a station wagon :)
Station wagons are getting harder and harder to find. VW aren't bringing them to North America anymore and I think Buick dropped theirs also (it was really an Opel from Europe). I've got two, one VW and a Volvo. it's weird as a lot of my friends also drive wagons. BMW, Volvo, Subaru, Audi and VWs.

Where I live is SUV and Pickup truck central but I don't care for them. What I'd really like is a European spec'ed Passat Alltrack like I saw in Wolfsburg last fall. While I was there I took an Audi E-Tron for a test drive. What an amazing vehicle, with an equally amazing price tag. It was at the VW Group Autostadt which was a really interesting place to visit. Talk about a "company" town!!

Station wagons are getting harder and harder to find. VW aren't bringing them to North America anymore and I think Buick dropped theirs also (it was really an Opel from Europe). I've got two, one VW and a Volvo. it's weird as a lot of my friends also drive wagons. BMW, Volvo, Subaru, Audi and VWs.

Where I live is SUV and Pickup truck central but I don't care for them. What I'd really like is a European spec'ed Passat Alltrack like I saw in Wolfsburg last fall. While I was there I took an Audi E-Tron for a test drive. What an amazing vehicle, with an equally amazing price tag. It was at the VW Group Autostadt which was a really interesting place to visit. Talk about a "company" town!!

You can still find a GT Sportback with a sloped hatch in the US... BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Tesla all have them marketed under various non-wagon names. ;)

I use my hatchback all of the time to transport my bike... as shown here when I picked up a new bike before assembly.

1594582189749.png

Last edited:
Tried out the back f the wagon today as compared to my usual hitch mounted platform rack. My reasoning is I intend to head to the Rockies to ride with some friends that live in Canmore Alberta, and I try to limit the time my bike is on a rack at highway speeds. Speaking of speeds, more on that later.
20200712_094056.jpg

My Townie fits fine, so I am very confident that when I get my new ride, it will fit also.
I have a mirror that had to fit, and a scrap of wood worked OK for a test. There's a small well area that fits it.
20200712_093722.jpg

Thanks Stefan, for all the details you posted. When I loaded in the back of my Volvo last time, I took the wheel off first. Your method is much easier.

Speaking of speed, got caught doing 97 in a 70 zone (kmph not mph) by the police via radar gun. Rule #1 in this situation, be polite and respectful. Rule #2, see rule #1. They checked my record and I got away with a verbal warning to slow the heck down, so I still have a clean record. 😁😁😁

Unpacking
:eek:
Please please Stefan.
Don't use a torque wrench for unscrewing. It is not recommendable!
Torque wrenches are for precision tightening only. Breaking free a bolt can result in a sudden shock to the wrench which can put it out of calibration.

:eek:
Please please Stefan.
Don't use a torque wrench for unscrewing. It is not recommendable!
Torque wrenches are for precision tightening only. Breaking free a bolt can result in a sudden shock to the wrench which can put it out of calibration.
Had no other tool for the demo picture at hand :) Note, I didn't unscrew the Vado wheel :D

Tried out the back f the wagon today as compared to my usual hitch mounted platform rack. My reasoning is I intend to head to the Rockies to ride with some friends that live in Canmore Alberta, and I try to limit the time my bike is on a rack at highway speeds. Speaking of speeds, more on that later.
View attachment 58716

My Townie fits fine, so I am very confident that when I get my new ride, it will fit also.
I have a mirror that had to fit, and a scrap of wood worked OK for a test. There's a small well area that fits it.
View attachment 58717

Thanks Stefan, for all the details you posted. When I loaded in the back of my Volvo last time, I took the wheel off first. Your method is much easier.

Speaking of speed, got caught doing 97 in a 70 zone (kmph not mph) by the police via radar gun. Rule #1 in this situation, be polite and respectful. Rule #2, see rule #1. They checked my record and I got away with a verbal warning to slow the heck down, so I still have a clean record. 😁😁😁
I often happen to get away without a ticket, the same method as yours ;) Not always that works!

Tried out the back f the wagon today as compared to my usual hitch mounted platform rack. My reasoning is ... I try to limit the time my bike is on a rack at highway speeds. Speaking of speeds, more on that later.

Do you think highway speeds are an issue for your bike rack transport?
I' ve tested my Thule bike rack up to 160 km/h, no prob.

Just saying to keep your record clean so no need for you to test it yourself. 😇

Vista Cruiser Wagon! ;)
Thank you! I was starting off with a Chevelle wagon and working my way through the A-body cars trying to figure it out...

I spent pretty much every Saturday for the first 18 summers of my life at car shows, and I don't think I've ever seen one of those in person.

Do you think highway speeds are an issue for your bike rack transport?
I' ve tested my Thule bike rack up to 160 km/h, no prob.

Just saying to keep your record clean so no need for you to test it yourself. 😇
Part of it for me is my current bike has an add-on Bionx kit, and it is in no way as water resistant as newer purpose built e-bikes. I don't want to get hit with a sudden rain storm and arrive at my destination with a non functional bike. There are times I have to put it on a rack, but not always. When it's on the rack, I do the best I can on protecting vulnerable connections.

But I like having the options, when I'm on my own, to put it inside the car.

Thank you! I was starting off with a Chevelle wagon and working my way through the A-body cars trying to figure it out...

I spent pretty much every Saturday for the first 18 summers of my life at car shows, and I don't think I've ever seen one of those in person.

I never have either. If the Olds 442 ever had a wagon in the lineup.

Do you think Renault sell their Megane Grandtour to America?
Not in Canada. Not sure about south of here, but I doubt it. I'm not even sure if Renault even has a presence here anymore.

Renault pulled out of the US market after severe quality problems in the 70s. "French car" became the word for faulty cars that wouldn't start and hang out in the garage frequently for repair. 1978 Renault bought AMC to reenter the US market and that was a total flop, Renault lost 750 Mio. USD and finally handed AMC to Chrysler in 1987.

After rumours of reentering plans to the US market for 2010 Renaults president was asked if he thought that US customers would remember Renault. His answer was: "I hope not".

Now there is a Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi conglomerate.
There are rumours that Nissan is intending to pull out of the European market and concentrate on other markets such as the US, China, Japan.
Renault is to serve the European market in this conglomerate and I can't see them reentering the US market in the near future.

FIAT-Chrysler offered Renault a 50-50 joint last year but withdrew that offer due to French Government resistance.

Back