How to Live with Throttle-only Riding?

I've posted about a PAS problem I'm having that has taken away my ability to pedal-assist ride. Luckily I still have throttle use but it's not the same particularly for trail-riding (I know I know some might wish they had throttle instead of pedal-assist).
Does anyone have thoughts regarding maximizing throttle-only trail riding until I get my PAS sensor back up and running (if ever)?
Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Don’t know if this helps or would be available for your bike but I think some bikes have a cruise control setting that works with throttle

Maybe someone with one of those options will chime in, I think juiced bikes had that

Thanks for that thought, I haven’t fully researched that but my inclination is my bike doesn’t have that option...it has the typical LCD settings found on the generic SWLCD panel and I’ve tweaked them as best as possible. But if someone out there knows how to access that option I would definitely be interested!

For some reason I thought the cruise was related to throttle, don’t know if you can just swap out a throttle and add that on some bikes or not, but probably not

Nothing is ever that simple on modifying any of these bikes...

I don't know what you mean by trail riding, but if you are talking single track with ups and downs and a lot of turns you certainly don't want cruise control. Can't you get the bike fixed so it works like it is supposed to?

Thanks yes the goal ultimately is repairing the PAS but in the meantime under the COVID-19 limited LBS access regime I'm riding throttle only and want to maximize throttle only when I'm riding single track. I just wondered if anyone had any tips or rules of thumb for throttle use.

Not sure what you're looking for. Faster = more throttle, slower = less throttle. I really don't mean to be a smart alec, but it seems just about that simple.

TT

I often use the throttle while pedaling to get a specific speed when PAS settings are either too fast or too slow. I do this a lot when pacing other riders. I apply just enough throttle in combination with the pedal effort I'm comfortable with to achieve the desired speed.

It can be tiring on the wrist though when doing it for long periods. A thumb throttle adapter solved the issue for me.

Thumb throttle adapter-now that's what I'm talking about! I'll check that out.
I'm trying to achieve natural progress that I've been able to recreate with the PAS similar to retaining traditional non-electric riding. So thanks for that thought!!!

Thumb throttle adapter-now that's what I'm talking about! I'll check that out.
I'm trying to achieve natural progress that I've been able to recreate with the PAS similar to retaining traditional non-electric riding. So thanks for that thought!!!

I use these on all of my bikes. I've tried cheaper models but these work best for me. They are also made in the USA.

Assuming that although the PAS is not functioning your drivetrain is still providing you with a selection of gear ratios, try pedaling in gears that suit the situation and using the throttle to complement that helping to maintain a consistent amount of forward momentum.

I found thumb throttle very jerky at first, but now I am so used to it I couldnt imagine anything else.

I do sort of jam my thumb in place to keep it steady over jumps and dropoffs, but the instant response allows me to balance the bike perfectly in tight turns and when xlimbing over obatacles.

Down side ..it can be tiring on the road even after just 5 miles.

Thanks yes the goal ultimately is repairing the PAS but in the meantime under the COVID-19 limited LBS access regime I'm riding throttle only and want to maximize throttle only when I'm riding single track.
I suggest you learn how to do it yourself, so you won't be at the mercy of the LBS. In all likelihood, their techs are also learning how to do it themselves. PAS units are not expensive. Just swap in a new one and be done with it. Riding an extended period on throttle alone is a PITT. Do it all your life and deal with the joy of arthritic thumbs in your golden years.

Back