How to carry a spare battery?

larry-new

Hi all...An old road rider here, who just took the plunge and ordered a RadCity yesterday! Today I sent a message asking if they could include another battery in the shipment to avoid the $60 shipping. Keyed alike, if possible.

Retired, so no commute. Mostly rides along the Erie Canal, road and bikepath. I know my habits, so I'll be pushing the distance ere long to the max. Went around Lake Ontario in one day when I had a maxiscooter...599mi. and one sore butt!

So I see some of you do speak of having spare batteries, and I assume a rear racktop bag would be the place to carry it...any suggestions?

Larry

I have a spare older Dolphin style 11.6ah battery for my 2016 Radrover and that fits perfectly inside top storage in my Topeak MTX DXP 22L rack bag. My wife has a Radcity Step-Thru with the newer 14ah battery. It only fits in the side panniers of the same Topeak bag. I purchased the largest capacity Topeak MTX rack bag with the velcro straps on the bottom for my wife's Radcity (not the Topeak bag with QuickTrack system). The longer 14 ah battery will fit with room to spare for extra gear (tire pump, rain gear, tools, etc...).

The wife's Radcity 14 ah battery is:

15 inches long
3.5 inches wide
3.75 inches tall at its tallest point

The battery narrow down towards the top in the area of the recharge plug and key area. I took some pictures of what the Radcity battery looks like in the Topeak side and top pockets. My 2016 11.6ah Radrover spare battery fits perfectly in the top Topeak bag pocket.
Radcity battery 1.JPG

Radcity battery 2.JPG

Radcity battery 3.JPG

Thanks! Lowdown would be best, but lopsided..I'll probably center the 7-8# on the rack, and it had best be secure! A nice bubble wrap sleeve might keep it centered in a bag, with a couple bungees, just to be safe.

This opens the possibility of a long loop ride, with the first battery and charger left at a cross in the loop, to recharge and be picked up on the way back. I'm used to 100mile rides around the Finger Lakes in WNY...

Initial searches reveal lockable hard boxes that screw to rack mounts. Metal ammunition boxes might also work. Nice to be starting with a welded on rack, for rigidity.

Last edited:
My wife hasn't pushed her Radcity Step-Thru to the limit to see how far her range would be on a single charge. We went on a 24 mile ride this weekend and I had a solid 1 bar left on my Rover and she had 4 bars on her bike. She is 130lbs and she was mostly at PAS 3 to maintain 17-20 mph the entire ride. I still have to pedal pretty hard to maintain 15-17 mph in PAS 3 on some of our inclines; while, she when down to PAS 2 to keep up with me on same hills. She also gets the regen braking going down the same inclines or any coasting she does (I think regen only works in PAS 1-5).

I'm thinking you could do the 100 mile loop with two 14ah batteries depending on weight, inclines, headwind, and average speed in the mid-teens.

Oh to weigh 130....I double that. The hills defeated me as a bike racer, but strangely, did not hinder racing in cross country skiing.

If your two bikes were battery compatible( I realize they're not ), you might switch batteries!

I wish they were compatible :(

I really think I would need two 11.6ah batteries on my rover with me at +270lbs to equal one 14 ah on my wife's radcity if we when on a 50-60 mile ride.

I made my spare battery mount out of leftover angle aluminum I had and mounted it to my rear rack. I even drilled a hole in it so it locks in place. Change over is very quick and I typically switch batteries at the halfway point with lots of reserve power so I don't drain the battery. Here's my setup:

I made my spare battery mount out of leftover angle aluminum I had and mounted it to my rear rack. I even drilled a hole in it so it locks in place. Change over is very quick and I typically switch batteries at the halfway point with lots of reserve power so I don't drain the battery. Here's my setup:

Nice job!
btw: how does your cupholder attach?

Handlebar clamp, part of the cup holder body, very heavy duty. I bought mine at a LBS but this looks to be the same as mine (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It just occurred to me that buying a spare battery mount from Rad would mount and lock to a rear rack...but probably need a plate to mount to...better and cheaper to do as @BobM did.

Back