How to adjust Suntour NCX E25 fork

Cyklefanatic

I have a Vado 4 with a Suntour NCX E25 fork . My problem is that it is way to stiff, no matter how big the bump the suspension won’t move. There is no difference if I lockout the fork or release it. The damping adjustment also seems to do nothing. I weigh 160 pounds so I figure it should be enough to get the suspension to move. Are there different springs available?
Gotta say Specialized/
Suntour documentation is pretty poor.

I assume your fork does indeed work; you have backed off the compression adjustment fully and when you push down on the handlebars the fork compresses, yes? It is not a big bump fork, so if you are thinking it is going to make the ride plush, it won't. It only has 50mm of travel. At best it will take some of the buzz out of a washboard surface, and some but not all of the sting out of a bigger hit.

In my opinion budget suspension forks do almost nothing, but manufacturer spec them because spec'ing a rigid fork puts them at a marketing disadvantage.

So you already checked out this website?

Click on "Service", there are about 10 different documents available.
I did check out the website and it only has general information about all Suntour forks. I shows that my fork is an air fork with preload adjustment. I am not sure what the air is for unless it is part of the preload adjustment. There are no user manuals that I can find.

I assume your fork does indeed work; you have backed off the compression adjustment fully and when you push down on the handlebars the fork compresses, yes? It is not a big bump fork, so if you are thinking it is going to make the ride plush, it won't. It only has 50mm of travel. At best it will take some of the buzz out of a washboard surface, and some but not all of the sting out of a bigger hit.

In my opinion budget suspension forks do almost nothing, but manufacturer spec them because spec'ing a rigid fork puts them at a marketing disadvantage.
Actually I found out I was adjusting the preload backwards. Now that I understand how to adjust it it does move a bit as I ride. It will take some fine tuning to get it right. I ride only on paved roads or bike paths so the small amount of travel should be fine. If I am forced to jump a curb I stand on the pedals bend my knees and shift my weight to reduce the shock load. Also I see that the fork has an air valve, is that part of the preload adjustment?

I see that the fork has an air valve, is that part of the preload adjustment?

I had assumed your fork was coil, which is why I mentioned backing off on the compression (preload) adjustment. With your fork you adjust the preload with a pump. You would need a special shock pump because the volume of air in the chamber is tiny. Generally speaking, you want to set the preload so that the suspension will move about 25-30% of its total stroke when you sit on the bike, otherwise known as setting the sag.

The fork is coil, and there are no springs available. I’ve already been through it with Specialized.

I have a thread on here about upgrading it.

Back