How the heck do I legally ship a spare ebike battery domestically???

So, it sounds like I'm up s*it Creek without a paddle for getting my 576 wh battery from USA to Colombia. And you haven't heard of anyone successfully shipping a battery that size abroad?
Yes by sea container.

So, it sounds like I'm up s*it Creek without a paddle for getting my 576 wh battery from USA to Colombia. And you haven't heard of anyone successfully shipping a battery that size abroad?
There are hazmat shippers who do just what you are asking. Here is one:

I figured out long ago, when someone tells you something is impossible ...don't believe them !

Last edited:
FWIW, my RadMission arrived via FedEx with a fully-charged battery (48 V, 504 Wh) and NO indication on the bike box that it contained a Li-ion battery pack. When I ordered a single 16340 cell from B&H Photo for my flashlight, it shipped in a separate box with the UN label and everything.

FWIW, my RadMission arrived via FedEx with a fully-charged battery (48 V, 504 Wh) and NO indication on the bike box that it contained a Li-ion battery pack. When I ordered a single 16340 cell from B&H Photo for my flashlight, it shipped in a separate box with the UN label and everything.
Here is one of the most detailed explanation I have found on shipping ebikes (inclucing batteries).

Wow! Illegal as hell! 13S battery’s cells should be 3.7V x 13. Your battery was 54.6v delivered?

Wow! Illegal as hell! 13S battery’s cells should be 3.7V x 13. Your battery was 54.6v delivered?
You can see what's soon coming: some shipper, FedEX or UPS, is going to suffer major damage either at their warehouse facilities or one one of their road or delivery trucks when one of these batteries decides to let go.

And then, the major crackdown begins, by the Feds, by the shippers against rogue ebike battery shippers and others as described by what we have read from @fuyume when she got a fully charged battery, ready to rock and roll.

@fuyume when she got a fully charged battery, ready to rock and roll.
I’m not clear. @fuyume wrote 48v. Was that the actual voltage? Or just the battery rating?

I expected a crackdown when Luna got tagged by the DOT. That was in 2015. Shady shipping continues. One of the shops I worked with only drop shipped saving customers hazardous goods fees from EM3ev and UPP. Rather than get certified to ship CONUS. We “ate” any failed batteries and honored a 1 year warranty leaving the failed batteries with customers. I’m certain a couple were unscrupulous customers. But overall UPP batteries were the worst with better than 5% failures.

Last edited:
I mean, when I assembled the bike and turned it on, the battery meter read 100%. I didn’t put a multimeter on it, I went for a ride.

I mean, when I assembled the bike and turned it on, the battery meter read 100%. I didn’t put a multimeter on it, I went for a ride.
Yes I know. You could report them, it's a very serious infraction that could bring down a 747 full of ppl !

Back