How much deposit to order a new R & M?

gtpharr

Region
USA
City
CHESAPEAKE, VA
For those that have ordered a new R&M, I'm wondering how much down payment or deposit your dealer required at time of order?

My closest dealer wants 75% at time of order and the remaining balance of 25% is due at time of delivery. That seems a bit excessive to me.

Another dealer said they could order with a $500 down payment and then split the balance into 2 additional payments. Half of the balance would be due when the bike starts production and the remaining balance would be due upon delivery. I like these terms much better.

For those that are willing to share this kind of info, I would appreciate hearing what kind of payment terms your dealer required.

For those that have ordered a new R&M, I'm wondering how much down payment or deposit your dealer required at time of order?

My closest dealer wants 75% at time of order and the remaining balance of 25% is due at time of delivery. That seems a bit excessive to me.

Another dealer said they could order with a $500 down payment and then split the balance into 2 additional payments. Half of the balance would be due when the bike starts production and the remaining balance would be due upon delivery. I like these terms much better.

For those that are willing to share this kind of info, I would appreciate hearing what kind of payment terms your dealer required.
My closest dealer east coast USA requires 75% when placing the order. The rest on pickup/delivery of the bike.

There weren’t a lot of options around here. I went with the deal 3 hours south of me. Or I could of had one other option 3 hours north of me. Both wanted 75-80% up front.

Three equal payments:
  • one-third on order
  • one-third on build date
  • one-third on delivery

Those figures all seem pretty high for an e-bike that I have to wait for at least 8 months....I placed down $2K for order and that's all they asked for.

Those figures all seem pretty high for an e-bike that I have to wait for at least 8 months....I placed down $2K for order and that's all they asked for.
Yikes, for me it supposedly is 4 months total, 1.5 left.

50%, San Francisco.

Local bike shop wanted $1,000 deposit (refundable if I decided to not buy the bike) at time of order.
I bought the bike (Multicharger) and paid the remainder when I picked it up.

Last edited:
Full payment at time of order, delivered to my home after the local dealership (Florida) received and prepped it. Total time was 3 1/2 months. Charger 3 Vario HS.

I'm on the West Coast and I ordered a 2021 Homage last week, I negotiated with my dealer a 33% deposit on order, 33% on confirmed build date and balance on delivery. ETA late July or early Aug. Dealer split cost of air freight with me.

Dealer required 100% for the two we purchased in early January in San Francisco. One bike was received in late April, the other in late May. Seems like the shipping and customs was about 3-4 weeks of the wait time (even with air freight). Both are Roadsters and are well built. Our dealer (The New Wheel in SF) is super - they even provide roadside assistance if you have a flat!

Last edited:
When I inquired with a dealer in Oregon, USA last summer, I was told $1000 deposit for them to place the order with R&M. I don’t recall now when the rest was due. The same dealer is now asking for 50% up front and 50% when they ship the bike to me, which I still consider to be reasonable.
The deadline for the dealer to cancel with R&M was May 29th for an order placed on April 15th.

Just placed an order with Electric City Bikes in DC for a Homage for my wife. They now require 100% to place an order. But they are way more responsive then Ebike Central in NC, where I bought my Superdelite a few months ago. So it's worth paying more now to see if they are a better dealer.

Just placed an order with Electric City Bikes in DC for a Homage for my wife. They now require 100% to place an order. But they are way more responsive then Ebike Central in NC, where I bought my Superdelite a few months ago. So it's worth paying more now to see if they are a better dealer.
Just curious, what’s your estimated delivery? Wait times were growing exponentially when I was looking at getting a new Load earlier this year.

Just curious, what’s your estimated delivery? Wait times were growing exponentially when I was looking at getting a new Load earlier this year.
Production is estimated as the week of September 5th. Then 4-6 weeks by air or 8-12 by sea. I choose air.

Back