How many miles to expect – Bosch Performance line

Rune

I just passed 2000 miles on my bike. But how many miles could one reasonable expect to get from a Bosch motor? A dealer who isn't a Bosch fan, quite the opposite in fact, suggested that at about 4500 miles, the engines would start to break. What are Your experiences?

Just passed 4,000 miles. No funny noises coming from the motor. Mostly commuting on some severe hills and often "going for it" in Turbo mode. Only complaint is the chain and sprockets are lasting around 1,500 miles. I am sure if you were on the flat and Eco mode, they would last a lot longer.

I know there's some folks here with a ton of miles on their Bosch systems. I have approx 6200 on my Performance Speed motor over 22 months and it is absolutely fine. I've got issues with the electrical system itself not powering on, but that isn't the motor's fault at all, and is another story that will be related here shortly. But I have not one negative word to say about the motor itself. I know my friend Alaskan puts on about 400 miles a day and he ain't having any troubles :)

. I know my friend Alaskan puts on about 400 miles a day and he ain't having any troubles :)[/QUOTE]

wow! 400 miles a day!

I have seen the insides of hundreds of Bosch motors now. Ranging from 150 miles to 15,000 miles. It would seem that any mechanical failure up to 10 to 12 thousand miles are water related. After speaking with the owners there has generally been a reason for that (dropping the bike in the river, over enthusiastic hosing/pressure washing, laying the bike on its side while washing, canted car rack, etc.)
Past 12,000 miles, things are generally just starting to wear out, back lash in the gears, movement of the bearings within the casings etc. But over 15,000 miles should be easily obtainable.
Rest assured, if looked after, the Bosch motor is exceptionally tough and well built. Also, now you have www.performancelinebearings.com on hand, they are relatively cheap to keep running too :)
For those who want 40,000+ miles, bear in mind that the average commuting cyclist will do just under 10 miles a day 5 days a week. That's over 15 years riding! Not sure about you, but I would probably be buying a new bike by then. (Also, I ride off road, so 2000 miles per rear cassette, if I'm lucky! (Sram XD 10/42 £85 ish) I would have spent around £1,700 on rear cassettes alone!) Starting to make a motor look cheap!

I know there's some folks here with a ton of miles on their Bosch systems. I have approx 6200 on my Performance Speed motor over 22 months and it is absolutely fine. I've got issues with the electrical system itself not powering on, but that isn't the motor's fault at all, and is another story that will be related here shortly. But I have not one negative word to say about the motor itself. I know my friend Alaskan puts on about 400 miles a day and he ain't having any troubles :)
I suppose it’s for your other thread, but by any chance do you have a Bosch Purion display? Mine seems to be eating batteries. There’s another thread on Bosch Purions and battery/display problems.

What HaibikeRider said. I am just about to cross the 7000 mile mark on my XDuro Trekking RX that I started riding in February of last year. So far no signs of problems with the motor.
You do have to stay on top of chain wear, though, especially if you push hard and/or are a clydesdale like me.

More like 400-500 miles per month. I ride quite a bit but I still have a life ;)

I've got 8,300 miles on mine in 18 months. No problems with the motor, but it is starting to make some new noises though. The electrical system is a little different. Its going into the shop tomorrow to get the frame mounted battery connector replaced. Its not making a good connection anymore and shutting down randomly, or not turning on at all.

Last edited:
I've got 8,300 on mine in 18 months. No problems with the motor, but it is starting to make some new noises though. The electrical system is a little different. Its going into the shop tomorrow to get the frame mounted battery connector replaced. Its not making a good connection anymore and shutting down randomly, or not turning on at all.
Miles or km?

Hi @Rune ,

in my point of view the motors with the classic Bosch egg optic are running more reliable than those with a changed motor cover. The other thing is, customers with cargo or trekking applications have a significant lower no. of failures. If you rige your bike in muddy tracks, don't forget to clean the bearing area arround the crank behind the motor cover!

I think from the mechanical point of view a Bosch motor an run over 30000 km or 19000 miles.

One disadvantage is the issue with the electronic. You have no influence on the occurence of the failure code 500. This means, buy a new motor, it's not repairable yet. It could happen after 1000km or even after 20000km.

Here is my list of customer failures, just copy and paste in Excel to filter. Look for the code 500!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...H3x-ecCLiYDX_mM96iHhiWztc/edit#gid=1240553272

Alex

Hi @Rune ,

in my point of view the motors with the classic Bosch egg optic are running more reliable than those with a changed motor cover. The other thing is, customers with cargo or trekking applications have a significant lower no. of failures. If you rige your bike in muddy tracks, don't forget to clean the bearing area arround the crank behind the motor cover!

I think from the mechanical point of view a Bosch motor an run over 30000 km or 19000 miles.

One disadvantage is the issue with the electronic. You have no influence on the occurence of the failure code 500. This means, buy a new motor, it's not repairable yet. It could happen after 1000km or even after 20000km.

Here is my list of customer failures, just copy and paste in Excel to filter. Look for the code 500!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...H3x-ecCLiYDX_mM96iHhiWztc/edit#gid=1240553272

Alex
Thank you very much!!!

Back