How is your Aventure experience?

I am looking to buy a secondary/companion bike that can do light trail duty, gravel and a few hills with some comfort. Looking at the Aventon Aventure step thru and the Electric Bike Company Model R. How is the bike to ride? Does it feel too big and heavy? I like to use the throttle minimally. How is it on hills? Any opinions are welcome. I presently have the Specialized Como 5.0. I am 5'9" 250lbs and 71 years old. I tried a Juiced Ripcurrent s and it seemed big and cumbersome.

Me too, I did a first look at the Aventon Adventure. Liked the look of the deep step through frame and the red color. (We all know that red is the “Fasterest” 😄😃)
However once I dug a bit into the specs I noticed Aventon listed the weight at a hefty 73 lbs (33.11 kg). Not sure if that’s with or without the battery. Since I haul my bike frequently I know I would never be able to get this beast onto a car rack. And what about handling characteristics of such a hefty bike?
Obviously your situation may be different. Please post what you find.

Thanks, I have watched all the reviews on YouTube. I wanted someone who has bought one and has some experience using it. Many of the reviews are young people and people who have been given the bike to review.

Thanks, I have watched all the reviews on YouTube. I wanted someone who has bought one and has some experience using it. Many of the reviews are young people and people who have been given the bike to review.
Just received my two Aventure bikes. Both step thru (ML) size. Easy to assemble...no issues. The only problem is that they came with different components. One came with Shimano shifter and derailleur and the other came with the Sunrace deraillure and shifter. At this time I am not very happy and shot off an email to Aventon to resolve this issue. I was sold on shimano components as they are looked upon as a higher grade product...never heard of Sunrace. I should disclose that I know very little about bikes in general however I did my due dilligence in researching my purchase. I wish I would have known earlier as it may have influenced my decision to buy Aventon. Does anybody have any knowledge on Sunrace M-40 deraillure and shifter...are they any good? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Just got mine yesterday. Great bike. It is my second. Aventon doesn't exaggerate what the bike will do. It is very accurate in its estimates. Well worth the bucks.

Just received my two Aventure bikes. Both step thru (ML) size. Easy to assemble...no issues. The only problem is that they came with different components. One came with Shimano shifter and derailleur and the other came with the Sunrace deraillure and shifter. At this time I am not very happy and shot off an email to Aventon to resolve this issue. I was sold on shimano components as they are looked upon as a higher grade product...never heard of Sunrace. I should disclose that I know very little about bikes in general however I did my due dilligence in researching my purchase. I wish I would have known earlier as it may have influenced my decision to buy Aventon. Does anybody have any knowledge on Sunrace M-40 deraillure and shifter...are they any good? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Interesting to hear about the Sunrace. There's apparently a huge shortage of Shimano derailleurs because of the pandemic, and my guess is that this was the only way they could get the component and get the bike out to you.

The Aventon website doesn't explicitly state Shimano derailleur/shifter (just generic 8-speed) but I'm sure it is disappointing given that all the reviews had Shimano. Still, if the option is a bike with a different derailleur or no bike for 6 months, I would probably take the Sunrace now.

I'm still waiting for mine to ship. I am extremely disappointed in their total lack of customer service. I have tried to call them for two days straight with no luck. If it isn't going to come with the shimano components, that was certainly part of my decisions making process. I will really be disappointed if it shows up with an off brand component group. I already regret buying from them based my inability to get through to someone on the phone, but that will really be the straw that broke the camel's back! I have not received any response to my emails either.

I'm still waiting for mine to ship. I am extremely disappointed in their total lack of customer service. I have tried to call them for two days straight with no luck. If it isn't going to come with the shimano components, that was certainly part of my decisions making process. I will really be disappointed if it shows up with an off brand component group. I already regret buying from them based my inability to get through to someone on the phone, but that will really be the straw that broke the camel's back! I have not received any response to my emails either.
I recently ordered a Juiced Ripcurrent s Step thru which was suppose to come with Shimano. It came with MicroShift Marvo LT. I looked them up and they had good reviews. Also they were equivalent to the Shimano I was expecting (Acera or Allivo). Also they shifted much better, smoother than the Shimanos. So I am satisfied. Parts are scarce right now.

I recently ordered a Juiced Ripcurrent s Step thru which was suppose to come with Shimano. It came with MicroShift Marvo LT. I looked them up and they had good reviews. Also they were equivalent to the Shimano I was expecting (Acera or Allivo). Also they shifted much better, smoother than the Shimanos. So I am satisfied. Parts are scarce right now.
Yes part shortages are a huge problem right now. Before I purchased my Aventure, I was looking at another bike company that replaced the torque sensor with a cadence sensor due to shortages (and kept the bike at the same price). Swapping out Shimano seems like less of an issue in comparison, but Aventon should definitely be transparent about it and provide updates on parts availability.

Yes part shortages are a huge problem right now. Before I purchased my Aventure, I was looking at another bike company that replaced the torque sensor with a cadence sensor due to shortages (and kept the bike at the same price). Swapping out Shimano seems like less of an issue in comparison, but Aventon should definitely be transparent about it and provide updates on parts availability.
I'm no expert, I just worry that the components will not hold up to the torque of the 1.1kw motor. Who knows maybe they will function better, but to your point, Aventon should be fully transparent to their customers.

I'm no expert, I just worry that the components will not hold up to the torque of the 1.1kw motor. Who knows maybe they will function better, but to your point, Aventon should be fully transparent to their customers.
On the Juiced site in small letters it says that they may have to change out components without notice. I wonder if Aventon has done the same.

On the Juiced site in small letters it says that they may have to change out components without notice. I wonder if Aventon has done the same.
They do have that. They also published a blog post a few weeks ago about this very topic.

They do have that. They also published a blog post a few weeks ago about this very topic.
Thanks, I have not had a chance to look. I appreciate the information. Still would prefer Shimano components, but feeling better about Aventon.

My riding buddy picked up an Aventure a month ago. I've ridden it a few times on trails and in the woods. I like it. I have two Aventon Levels, and a DIY Fat Bike with a 1600W mid-drive HD-Bafang. The Aventure is an excellent entry level manufactured Fat Bike. From a safety standpoint, I would prefer the Aventure over the Level as Fat Tires make the transition from different surfaces, edges, and curbs much smoother and safer. The Aventure appears to have less range than the Level. I'm guessing 20% less range based on our real-world rides together where we ran at a leisurely PAS-2 on paved trails. The Aventure weighs about 17% more than the level, and has greater rolling resistance due to the tires.

Having just got the Aventure step-thru and only ridden it minimally, it is a decent fat tire bike. Definitely feels heavier than my Luna X1 but they are both meant for different types of riding. It certainly is fast as I can go 32-33mph while pedaling. All components seem like quality parts as the brakes work well and the rapid shift shifters work great but some issues are a concern right now. 1) Emails for technical support go unanswered and that is the only way to contact them. 2) There is a lag (approx. 1 sec) from when you begin pedaling (or apply throttle) and when the motor kicks in. This may be due to the cadence sensor versus having a torque sensor. 3) The throttle only works up to 20mph. This should at least be definable within the settings but alas it isn't. Still need to test the longevity of the battery on a long ride but these are my initial thoughts. As this bike is for my wife who doesn't do mountain biking, the fat tires give her a cushy ride for street or mild off-road rides.

Having just got the Aventure step-thru and only ridden it minimally, it is a decent fat tire bike. Definitely feels heavier than my Luna X1 but they are both meant for different types of riding. It certainly is fast as I can go 32-33mph while pedaling. All components seem like quality parts as the brakes work well and the rapid shift shifters work great but some issues are a concern right now. 1) Emails for technical support go unanswered and that is the only way to contact them. 2) There is a lag (approx. 1 sec) from when you begin pedaling (or apply throttle) and when the motor kicks in. This may be due to the cadence sensor versus having a torque sensor. 3) The throttle only works up to 20mph. This should at least be definable within the settings but alas it isn't. Still need to test the longevity of the battery on a long ride but these are my initial thoughts. As this bike is for my wife who doesn't do mountain biking, the fat tires give her a cushy ride for street or mild off-road rides.

1) Aventon has been slammed and taking longer to respond, but they have always responded to my questions eventually.

2) The lag is definitely the difference between a cadence and torque sensor. That's the advantage of the torque sensor, but hard to expect that at the price of the Aventure.

3) The 20 mph limit on throttle is the maximum allowable for a class 2 ebike. Aventon can't increase that any higher or else it would be classified as a moped and would cause users issues in most jurisdictions.

Back